Why are lenses so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilario

Dec 2, 2007
Hello everyone, as a new DSLR owner, i'd like to be a lil curious on why are lenses so expensive... like affordable new ones already cost $300++? I heard that some of them use plastic instead of glass to save cost too... Is it truly so expensive to make a lens unit?

Hello everyone, as a new DSLR owner, i'd like to be a lil curious on why are lenses so expensive... like affordable new ones already cost $300++? I heard that some of them use plastic instead of glass to save cost too... Is it truly so expensive to make a lens unit?

buy a spoilt used lens from sungei road and try to disemble the unit. they are plenty of precision parts in a simple lens. they ask yourself how much you would charge to make the same lens for others. that should give you a good picture why tis ex

It's all about putting more than one piece of polished glasses aligned together in a straight line to achieve a specific focal length a camera can use - its high tech precision engineering - not some DIY stuff anyone can assemble. If there are special ED glasses placed within the lens to enhance image quality, it will naturally cost more.

I see, but the truly good ones will cost alot more than $300 right? I'm just thinking if you count like say $500-600 in money terms its quite alot, can buy alot of stuff lol, but i guess i didn't see how much effort and precision is put into the making the things. :) I guess i'm just being cheapo haha

wonderful video... thats very informative! the manufacturers should use this kind of stuff in their marketing instead of showing pictures of lenses... :)

The cost of raw materials to produce a lens may be cheap, but you forgot the R&D and manufacturing costs,

I see, but the truly good ones will cost alot more than $300 right? I'm just thinking if you count like say $500-600 in money terms its quite alot, can buy alot of stuff lol, but i guess i didn't see how much effort and precision is put into the making the things. :) I guess i'm just being cheapo haha

of course it is going to cost money. and er, there are lenses which cost more than $500 or $600. that is photography, that is reality, that is the way the world works.

i mean, even consumer digital cameras these days are getting expensive. basically, in general, you pay for what you get, and the payment in exchange for utility is usually exponential.

plastic? I thought lens have to use optical glass.

A good lens can easily cost more than the basic body. The lens hold values, while bodies devalue rather quickly as technology improves (sensor, electronics, etc.)

The same reason why printers are sold below cost but ink is so expensive. It's simply easier to con a person into buying a system due to it's low startup but then the add-ons will incinerate the wallet.

plastic? I thought lens have to use optical glass.

A good lens can easily cost more than the basic body. The lens hold values, while bodies devalue rather quickly as technology improves (sensor, electronics, etc.)

not really, i understand that nowadays the cheaper lenses can use plastic elements.

A lens is made of a bunch of glass or plastic element and a metal/plastic barrel. Some of them may look cheap, but they are still the results of long time R&D work. You can't just simply put some glass or plastic element together to make a lens which can take good photos. You are paying for the materials/labor cost/ and most of all, the long time R&D work by the lens manufacturer.

To me, those diamonds for girls are waaayyyyyyyyyyy too expensive and don't worth the cost at all. But girls including my wife don't think so ;)

R&D and Precision Engineering.
Computer CPU chip can cost more than 1k for a block of sand :). Material cost $0 ;).
Not that I would mind cheap and good lens lah :sweatsm:

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/l_plant/index.html
While this is a link from another camp, lens production procedures should be more or less the same across brands.
So the above link should give you a pretty good idea of the efforts in creating a lens.
And the difference between the process of creating a cheap lens and an expensive one.

Hmm... what you pay is what you get bah. Bigger Aperture = More $

Somemore a good lens can last longer than a body. Say 10 years? So when you break down, its less than $50 per year lets say you get a $300 lens. :)

u can look for used ones or old pentax lenses.

Haha yeah, currently i only own the kit lens and an old cheap manual prime bought from fellow CSer... Maybe more justice to buy more lens :D

Haha yeah, currently i only own the kit lens and an old cheap manual prime bought from fellow CSer... Maybe more justice to buy more lens :D

Haha... I am also looking for a lens. But cover a longer range. I find that the kit lens quality is good enough in general situation.

I feel that one time pain pain get a good lens to serve you long long, then digital photography is not a so expensive hobby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.