Why are Korean TV serial so nice to watch?

Why are Korean TV serial so addictive?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
I find myself addicted to watching TV because of Korean serial. Compared to Singapore, Taiwan, Japanese, and even Hong Kong...i find that it is a breath of fresh air. So what makes Korean serial so special?

I find myself addicted to watching TV because of Korean serial. Compared to Singapore, Taiwan, Japanese, and even Hong Kong...i find that it is a breath of fresh air. So what makes Korean serial so special?

Because you have been watching too much Singapore, Taiwan, Japanese, and Hong Kong TV series and is now bored with them..... :bsmilie:

i was addicted for a while coz the actresses are all so gorgeous and lovely :sweat::sweat::sweat:
but why watch them on TV (i hate dubbing) when you can get them on CD or streaming?

I find that their plots are captivating and nicer than Singapore TV dramas. I find that S'pore plots are too simple and didn't capture the emotions. I dun feel much for the characters in local drama. However, in Korean, HK dramas, their situations, problems and tough situations, the plots make them realistic and captivating.

if you compare to sg drama, of cos you will find them nice.
for me, i dun really find them nice. plot are all similiar, actor/actoress always faceless expression, except that actoress are so pretty.

i was addicted for a while coz the actresses are all so gorgeous and lovely.

But can they beat this?

Gong+Li+in+Shanghai.jpg

I am never impressed by Sin, Taiwan, Jap, China though I do follow through some of the China ones such as 卧薪尝胆,新三国, etc more for the history. The HK ones used to be good but I think they run out of ideas already. I find the Korean ones are really good. All the music scores are like orchestrated...you get very grand feeling.

but why watch them on TV (i hate dubbing) when you can get them on CD or streaming?

I use the term TV for simplicity as I have been told not to encourage alternative means of watching due to their IPR infringement nature.

i dun really find them nice. plot are all similiar, actor/actoress always faceless expression, except that actoress are so pretty.

not really. I find they are very good. When they cry, can even hear the lungs heaving. Makes me want to cry also. When the pretty girl smile with twinkling eyes, my heart melts. You will notice the director always do close up on the actors/actresses, so the expression is very solid.

But can they beat this?

Gong+Li+in+Shanghai.jpg

please, this actress greatest assets are not in her acting skills.

u dont watch english one? Dexter? 24? prison break? and many others..

i agree HK dramas are geting worst and worst, i dont watch them nowadays,their prime is over. Singapore one, believe it not, i never watch them for 20 yrs,. korean/japan one? haven't watch before..coz dunno which one to watch.. or which one to start and i dont like dub. anyone good one to recommend? i like those detective type, crime solving, puzzle and stuff..but no romance type please...i cry, you cry, she cry, everyone cry...zzzz it is getting old...

Last edited:
i only like a few good ones with good plots and fine editing like On AIR, Beethoven Virus, Coffee prince etc. Mostly are rehashed plots, guys are always rich and powerful, girls are always poor.

u dont watch english one? Dexter? 24? prison break? and many others..

frankly...the 1st season is always good but it gets too draggy. How many seasons are 24, prison break, Lost, desparate housewives, sex in the city and blah blah blah. The most I caught is 24 into its 4th season and then that's it....too much of superman Jack Bauer.

i only like a few good ones with good plots and fine editing like On AIR, Beethoven Virus, Coffee prince etc. Mostly are rehashed plots, guys are always rich and powerful, girls are always poor.

Stories about the rich and powerful are always captivating.

My all time fav ...

Title: Smile, you
15070489.jpg

Main attraction: If you don't "cry" at the end of the story, tell me, I will jump down from my room.
Watch out for: Ms Yi Min Jeong (the one in red)...

Title: IRIS
iris_.jpg

Main attaction: Ms Kim So Yeon :thumbsup: (the short-hair NK agent) & Ms Kim Tae Hee
The story is too damned stupid and ridiculous, but these 2 agents will make sure you finish the movie.

Title: Marrying the Mafia 2 (TWO)
Marrying_The_Mafia_2.jpg

This one is f u n n y ....
Watch out for Mrs Hong (Kim Soo Mi) she is a natural funny woman :sweatsm:

Actually Korean dramas also nothing special. Its just a new to you thats why you like it. There are many K dramas and only a few I like. Many also have similar plots.

Actually Korean dramas also nothing special. Its just a new to you thats why you like it. There are many K dramas and only a few I like. Many also have similar plots.
It's just a cultural intercourse when one is submerged in another nationality drama. One will enjoy it if one appreciates the wits and ends of another culture. There are some Chinese who will enjoy those bollywood movies, and some Indians enjoying Singapore drama.
One should have an open mind about everything when watching a foreign drama. Because of modern cross-nations exchanges, and mostly for monetary gains, modern drama are mostly having the same concept and story lines, which have been around since civilization, and mostly revolve around the 7 sins.

they seem to revolve around a couple of themes ..........

1. woman getting married MUST move to Man's side
2. monster mother in laws
3. obsessively sensitive about social class differences

I stopped watching ANY serials for a long time now..... just gets my blood pressure up when a 105 part series can be shortened to 5 episodes IF

a. THE CHARACTERS JUST TALK more directly TO ONE ANOTHER ,
b. TURN AND LOOK OVER THEIR SHOULDERS once in a while
c. stick to the facts
d. and cut out the gossip talk

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Last edited:
I stopped watching ANY serials for a long time now..... just gets my blood pressure up when a 105 part series can be shortened to 5 episodes IF

a. THE CHARACTERS JUST TALK more directly TO ONE ANOTHER ,
b. TURN AND LOOK OVER THEIR SHOULDERS once in a while
c. stick to the facts
d. and cut out the gossip talk

If only life is so simple. :) If you stand back and look at the plot, most are the same. But the different twist in the storyline is quite interesting. Think Korean serial not very long ones. Surely cannot beat the Taiwan for long draggy serial. I give up on Taiwan serial, can be a real waste of time. And the cast is the same for every serial :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.