Why +4, +3, +2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fella

Dec 14, 2002
I've seen a few guys stacking up 3 close-up filters, +4, +3, +2 for some pretty good macro shots.
Was wondering if there's any reason for that combination?
How's that combo compared to x2 +4?

Appreciate your comments.

Stacking 3 filters sounds excessive. Using 2 allows you the flexibility of adjusting your focal distance, but the more filters used, the higher chance of vignetting, CA and image degradation.

+1 allows you to focus at around 100cm, +2 allows you to focus at 50cm, +3 at 33.3 cm and so on. Divide 100cm by the sum of the "factors" to get the focussing distance.

The more the number of filters used, the greater the degradation in picture quality.

It's for convenience, at the expense of image quality though.

Originally posted by imaginary_number
It's for convenience, at the expense of image quality though.

Hihi,

will i get the same result if i use a marco lens instead of using close-up filters?Or are they apples and oranges by comparison?

Sorry guys,me super newbie here...but interested in marco.

Thanks!

Originally posted by eagles_creek
Hihi,

will i get the same result if i use a marco lens instead of using close-up filters?Or are they apples and oranges by comparison?

Thanks!

I asked kinda the same questions on Fred Miranda. Here's the link. Check out the links posted too.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/30925

Generally, macro lens are dedicated lens for macro work. Close up filters limits the working distance.

Pros of Macro vs CU filters [Non exhaustive, just simple]:
1) No fuss, just shoot. No screwing of optional filters.
2) Better image quality. [Significant image degradation with CU, and soft edges].

Cons
1) More expensive
2) Flexibility?? [Subjective]

Care to check out John Shaw's "Close up in nature" for more detailed info. He has a few sections on diopters and CU filters.

I'm reading it myself too...

Cheers. :)

Originally posted by eagles_creek
Hihi,

Thanks!

It does depend on what sort of "macro lens" you're referring to.

What tert discussed is applicable when you use SLR-type macro lens. There're also some high powered close-up filters which are sold as "macro lenses".

Originally posted by mpenza
It does depend on what sort of "macro lens" you're referring to.

What tert discussed is applicable when you use SLR-type macro lens. There're also some high powered close-up filters which are sold as "macro lenses".

Hi tert,

thanks for your help.

That's a really useful site.....

Hi mpenza,

i am just referring to the normal ones.

What do you think of Kenko marco lens(37mm)?

Do you have any in mind that you think is good?Please recommend to me......Thanks!

I would be fixing it with my lens adaptor which accepts 37mm thread size,but i guess i could use step-down/up rings if the thread size doesn't match rite?

Please advise.

Thanks alot for your help.;)

With more close up filters, you have to get closer to the subject right ? How does anyone managed to get really close up pics of an insect without scaring it away ? Does using a telephoto convertor with a close up filter or macro len works ? Thanks :)

Just received AP's e-quote...
Canon 250D costs S$260!! Excluding GST!
Is it THAT ex??

Originally posted by Fella
Just received AP's e-quote...
Canon 250D costs S$260!! Excluding GST!
Is it THAT ex??

Quality products are more expensive. Don't be surprised.

Originally posted by mervlam
Quality products are more expensive. Don't be surprised.

Problem is I've read around and saw people quoting S$110-S$160 for brand new ones...

Problem is I've read around and saw people quoting S$110-S$160 for brand new ones...

hmmm..... i don't really know the cost price. unless AP thinks you are a "carrot-head". :angel:

Originally posted by majere2sg
With more close up filters, you have to get closer to the subject right ? How does anyone managed to get really close up pics of an insect without scaring it away ? Does using a telephoto convertor with a close up filter or macro len works ? Thanks :)

Yes, you can stack a teleconverter with close-up filters - gives u more distance to work with. Take note though, adding more glasses in front of your lens degrades the image quality.

Oh... just a tip... if you use more than one close-up filter, always stack the more powerful one nearer to the lens... ;)

Neo

Originally posted by majere2sg
I just got my Canon 250D from mscolor for $100.

That is CHEAP!
CP quoted me S$105 for 52mm and S$145 for 58mm w/o GST.
Are you sure you got the 58mm?
Any price for 500D

That is CHEAP!
CP quoted me S$105 for 52mm and S$145 for 58mm w/o GST.
Are you sure you got the 58mm?
Any price for 500D
Of course I got the 58mm, otherwise I won't be able to use it ;p
I never asked for the 500D though. I bought a dry cabinet from them and maybe thats why I got it at $100 instead of $139 as stated on the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.