Who's the girl with the red dress on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientMariner

Dec 1, 2004
Little Red Dot
Just some mediocre shots but it portrays the way I see Gail through my viewfinder.
I find she has cute face and a good figure and hope someday I will develope the skills to do her justice.

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0051.jpg

I don't like the cropping, i.e. the model is 'touching' the top and/or bottom of the frame - makes the shots feel a little tight. Also the composition is quite static, most of the images a central, straight up and down - I would like to see more variation with this

1st picture... why got cans on the floor?

Errrr .. the 1st image her hand on the inner side look scary .. coming out from her neck .:faint:

the lighting of the dress series looks nicer to me.. :)

Skinny ? .. Maybe you may like to try WA on her . bring her into ur frame and get close dun need to do full frame . Like that you will force yourself to only capture the best of her and not the whole body . . Some of the pic need to push up with slight bit of flash.. overall is not bad and continue to shoot more and be creative . ;)

fisheye said:
speaking from a female perspective, she looks too stick thin!

Tks for viewing. She is thin but I would hardly compare her to a stick. Perhaps I failed to disguise her weakness and emphasize her assets successful but without elaborating or clarification, it is not helpful. As photographers, our interest should be how to portray the model and not just the model's physique. FYI, the first supermodel in the world was called "Twiggy" and with good reason. See http://www.twiggylawson.co.uk/fashion.html.

Ashleyy - Tks. I have been trying the selectable focus point setting. Guess this was one of the times when my face pressed against the control and set focus on the corner focusing point.

cybermonkey - Tks for checking my framing. Guess I have to remember to check that when shooting too.

deepcove, Paul Yeo - I did notice the cans and other rubbish on the floor but thought it was natural since the setting was an abandoned building. Maybe "inspired" by plain laziness at that time. :embrass:

KNIGHT ONG - My mistake in posing the model with her hand there. Tks for reminding me to check through the viewfinder before taking the shot.

Arcanic - The lingerie series were shot on a different day when it was raining heavily. I posted the 2 series in the same thread as I wanted to see if I managed to portray Gail better the second time around, doing some things opposite of what I normally do. Tks for the confirmation. Then again, it may be Gail looks better dressed. ;-)

Luval - Tks for the suggestion about WA - didn't think of that. I always use telephoto to avoid distortion but I see your point about doing the opposite. Will try that.

bitbytes9 - Tks for viewing and the encouragement.

AncientMarina, what are the equipments that you use for these shots? I am interested in model shoots but i only have 1 external flash and a 28-200 tamron lens. Would this be sufficient of do i need to invest more before i can go for these type of shots?

Also how does these model shots work? Do they pose automatically for you or do i need to have some ideas on how they should pose?

CHeers.

lukexav said:
AncientMarina, what are the equipments that you use for these shots? I am interested in model shoots but i only have 1 external flash and a 28-200 tamron lens. Would this be sufficient of do i need to invest more before i can go for these type of shots?
I used a 28-105 for these shots but sometimes I switch to 50mm, 85mm or 70-210. Up till 6 months ago, I was using a compact and when I bought my dslr I initially used just my kit lens. So I am still a newbie.
Your equipment is fine for starting off on model shoots. Your lens is versatile and will allow you to try various focal lengths for different perspectives. Joining group shoots will let you meet other photographers who will be willing to give you better advice than I can.

lukexav said:
Also how does these model shots work? Do they pose automatically for you or do i need to have some ideas on how they should pose?
You can read books, magazines, even advertisements to get ideas of poses but the best, short of taking a course, is join a group shoot. The advantage of a group shoot is that there will always be someone who will select the scene and pose the model. Experienced models can autopose but they need an idea of what you are trying for. Even then, they can't see themself as you would through your viewfinder and need you to correct them if something is "out of place". Lastly, don't worry too much about it - just join and shoot. Hope this helps.

AncientMariner said:
I used a 28-105 for these shots but sometimes I switch to 50mm, 85mm or 70-210. Up till 6 months ago, I was using a compact and when I bought my dslr I initially used just my kit lens. So I am still a newbie.
Your equipment is fine for starting off on model shoots. Your lens is versatile and will allow you to try various focal lengths for different perspectives. Joining group shoots will let you meet other photographers who will be willing to give you better advice than I can.

You can read books, magazines, even advertisements to get ideas of poses but the best, short of taking a course, is join a group shoot. The advantage of a group shoot is that there will always be someone who will select the scene and pose the model. Experienced models can autopose but they need an idea of what you are trying for. Even then, they can't see themself as you would through your viewfinder and need you to correct them if something is "out of place". Lastly, don't worry too much about it - just join and shoot. Hope this helps.

It sure helps me a lot. At least i get some idea on how the model shots are. Cheers very much. Hope to be able to join you guys..:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thx for sharing... keep it coming:thumbsup:

LOL er.. the 2nd last shot.. the head looks like it's ps-ed on.. :p

Personally I think the bikini and old house do not match... I still prefer bikini to match with sea, beach, pool, etc...

Haha! Looking at this model, she reminds me of the Chinese newscaster Dong Su Hua...:bsmilie:

Thankx for sharing! Also like her red dress. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.