Who's the best in Singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karab

Jul 19, 2002
Braddell
Visit site
I wonder if anyone has ever asked this question before.

Who are the best photographers (rated by some official body or something) in the separate fields of photography? (portraits, sports, close-up. landscape..etc..)

Just thought it might be a good discussion thread.

Anyone of them in Clubsnap by any chance?

:p

"Best" is pretty subjective. I think there are a few good photographers around but I wouldn't even start thinking that they would call themselves the best in their respective fields nor I think will there be any "official body" to rate them. Frankly, I would think its more an insult than anything else if we start rating photographers.

hmm..

you're right in saying that it's very subjective.

Anyway i'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful.
But I don't agree that rating or perhaps saying a better way,

giving due recognition to the photographers will spur them to get better?

Also photography is alot of technical skill.
how about the best ones who display their skill through their photos?

hope to find out more.

Originally posted by karab
hmm..

you're right in saying that it's very subjective.

Anyway i'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful.
But I don't agree that rating or perhaps saying a better way,

giving due recognition to the photographers will spur them to get better?

Also photography is alot of technical skill.
how about the best ones who display their skill through their photos?

hope to find out more.

So who will decide who has the best technical skills? Again, what is the best technical skills? I've got 2 versions of the same image with one exposed 1 stop more. Some like the technically correct print, others prefer the under-exposed print because it suits the mood of the subject. So which one is the better print?

and btw, ranking photographers and giving them due recognition are very different thing altogether. You can give due recognition to a photographer without implying that the other is inferior. With ranking, its a different story.

Perhaps the best form of "ranking" is simply peer appraisal... it seems to me that in any field, the people who are most qualified to determine who the best in that field are are the professionals who work in that same field themselves.... I'm by no means a pro photographer, but I wouldn't be surprised if certain names pop up more often if we were to do a survey among local pros asking them who they perceive to be the most accomplished among their peers. (having said that, though, it must of course be acknowledged that photography is a tremendously broad field with lots of different sub-categories, so opinions will vary greatly depending on the type of photographers we're talking about)

Originally posted by karab
I wonder if anyone has ever asked this question before.

Who are the best photographers (rated by some official body or something) in the separate fields of photography? (portraits, sports, close-up. landscape..etc..)

Just thought it might be a good discussion thread.

Anyone of them in Clubsnap by any chance?

:p

I believe PSS does have some kind of recognition in the form of distinctions being awarded for outstanding photography efforts submitted.

More info can be found here: http://www.pss1950.org/distinction.html

It's going to be tough deciding on who's the best since there are so many "fields" within photography.

Rgds,
Jeffery

Status
Not open for further replies.