Who will support Local Comics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurman

Sep 6, 2005
if there is one local comics strip or cartoon. will u all support???? since there are already so many outstanding jap, hongkong comics in the market..wat are the chance of local comics surviving and making it big??

Mr Kiasu went dead after a while...

blurman said:
if there is one local comics strip or cartoon. will u all support???? since there are already so many outstanding jap, hongkong comics in the market..wat are the chance of local comics surviving and making it big??

Mr Kiasu went dead after a while...

Well, there are a whole lot of factors to why local comics couldn't make it big. And here are my point of view as follows:-
1) Market is really small here.
2) Readers categorized into few reading groups like Madarine, English, Malay & so forth.
3) How well we really understand our culture here?
4) I saw quite a few local comics before & it really sucks big time in terms of art skills & story-plotting!
5) Selling price of this comics is almost the same as those US comics, but louzy standard.

PS: So can you people out there tell me how local comics can make it or not?:dunno:

Readers usually go for graphics and/or story content. It's usually regardless of author's nationality. If it is good, then the support will come :)

sillyme said:
Readers usually go for graphics and/or story content. It's usually regardless of author's nationality. If it is good, then the support will come :)

i second that. :thumbsup:
like you avatar very much. nearly die laughing on that show. :bsmilie:

by the way. to be frank..if i am an comics artist myself..u all believe?

me and my friend has started doing some comic strips. if there is a chance. i will try to post it here..hpe u all can support. Hope our work is better then those u all described.

will i be breaking the rules here if i post my art work here????

sillyme said:
Very much agreed...

It also depends on what kinds of comics reader you are... Like the hardcore (fans)followers one, casual pickers, the occassional one, the only browse library and comics stands one (dun buy their own), blah... blah...

blurman, good on ya move with ya team on the comics... :thumbsup: Survey the culture, people target group and the market well first, It'll helps a lots, and think further oversea also... ;) All the best...

already drawn quite alot..but dun know how to "Market" it out and must look for the best media to publicize...

Newspaper not too attractive....anyone has got any suggestion or lobang where there will have alot of human traffic???

my comics will appeal to all walks of life...;p

If I am not wrong, Malaysia got local publisher who publish comic (weekly comic) with mostly Japanese comic, but sometime they mix it with their local fiction comic (although the drawing and story can't compare to japanese standard) also. Usual I buy it from those bigger newpaper stand/store around MRT station or interchange.
Also with another publisher publish local comic only, forgotten the name and not sure this one still around or not.
May be can contact them and seek for info?
Both are in Chinese.

I'd seen a couple of good ones.

Mr Kiasu... what can I say? Crazy stuff like ur sunday comics. But since there wasn't any much of a storyline (even when the Kuppies tried to make it revolve around a story like 'Titinic' or 'Few Goofy Men'), it wasn't much of a serious read but more of a run-thru, luff like crazy and that's that after that.

Daniel Wang's Comics I must say are a crazy luff as well. I split my sides on the Star Wars thing. But den again, what can I say? Its funny but lacking. Like a one-off paraody.

What local comic artists need is a killer storyline with good characters. What Japanese mangakas are not short of are:

- Drawing flair. Though its very much typical, big eyes and all. But u could see the individual style.

- Storyline. Some are just plain shallow but are a demonstration in drawing. Others have intriguing storylines that toes the line on taboo topics in Japanese society but the drawing sucks to high hell. There are some that have got both. The point is, if u can't have great storyline, churn out great drawings and vice versa. :D

- 'Fan Service'. A fleeting glimpse of undies. Too much is an overkill. Zero fanservice is absurd (how many times have u seen in the real world that women never revealed something or u had ur underwear popping out of ur pants). I'd seen one that's so heavily laden with fanservice that I swear I'm seeing an ero-hon instead. The story's so horrible that I gave up collecting it after 3 volumes. Lets be honest with ourselves. We are Men. That's a fact. Don't lift urself on a pedestal and say u never harboured a single dirty thought in ur entire life. That's outright hypocritical.

soma said:
like you avatar very much. nearly die laughing on that show. :bsmilie:
heh :) one of my all time favourite show!

Just to add on..

I think in Japan, they have magazines that shows 'pilots' for Comic stories. These magazine guage the popularity of the comic. If they are good, they will go on an publish the full version. Wonder if there's any sort similiar in this region.

sillyme said:
heh :) one of my all time favourite show!

Just to add on..

I think in Japan, they have magazines that shows 'pilots' for Comic stories. These magazine guage the popularity of the comic. If they are good, they will go on an publish the full version. Wonder if there's any sort similiar in this region.
Hmm... wad's that huh?

Shonen Weekly izzit?

blurman said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/superesi/hitmansketch2.jpg

above is just what i have drawn..its also one of our characters. i dun want to reveal too much yet cos everything not finalised yet.

Tks for the valuable input from all the bros and sisters here...

dun give me more comments or view if u all free..hee..tks:D
Hmm... If its good I'll get it. :)

jsbn said:
Hmm... wad's that huh?

Shonen Weekly izzit?

wat is shonen weekly?

Actually in Japan, quite some artists have work as apprentice for those famous artist for training, improve their skill or storyline. Too bad there isn't one for this kind of establish comic drawing artist in Singapore.

Some without good drawing will need attractive storyline to attract the crowded, and improve their drawing through experience.

blurman said:
wat is shonen weekly?

huh u dunno Shonen? den u know Jump? :confused:

Jump... name a few famous 1.. (think Dragonball from Jump rite...)
Shonen Sunday i think famous series would be Ranma 1/2...

anyway, sad to say, i won't support local manga, cos all in all, its not the artist or the storywriter's fault that i won't support, its the rules & regulation that is constraining local comics to be kept low. Maybe say, if your comics, drawn towards abit of teenager's love story, its hard to maintain unless a little 'xxx' part comes in.. like Ichigo 100%, I's... then dio ban from publishing... den abit of gore & blood & fighting like Dragon ball etc, also dio ban... den u end up with only those 3 year old pre primary comics... then it definitely would not be of any interest to me...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
huh u dunno Shonen? den u know Jump? :confused:

Jump... name a few famous 1.. (think Dragonball from Jump rite...)
Shonen Sunday i think famous series would be Ranma 1/2...

anyway, sad to say, i won't support local manga, cos all in all, its not the artist or the storywriter's fault that i won't support, its the rules & regulation that is constraining local comics to be kept low. Maybe say, if your comics, drawn towards abit of teenager's love story, its hard to maintain unless a little 'xxx' part comes in.. like Ichigo 100%, I's... then dio ban from publishing... den abit of gore & blood & fighting like Dragon ball etc, also dio ban... den u end up with only those 3 year old pre primary comics... then it definitely would not be of any interest to me...

sorie..i dun really follow all these..although i am into comics drawing..but nver really like to follow. I am one very funny comic artist who dun buy comics (only borrow from friends)...me also not a very hardcore comic reader..read to get fresh ideas tats all..

by the way...depends how u appreciate comics bah..if u really like it purely on story line and art work..with or without those xxx elements, it will still be alrite.

some story are very motivatin. jsut like watchin a movie.sadly only jap comics can give us tat..

But lets not bring down Local comics too...if not, we will never emerge from the shadow of others...

Status
Not open for further replies.