Who/what is LOWBALLER?

Noxire

Oct 12, 2011
West SG
Kinda confused about this term.

When an offer to qualify you as a LOWBALLER?

Can somebody set an example?

I know it's when you offer much lower against the asking price but how low?

I see this term sometimes in B&S too, doesnt know what it means, are there any highballers??? Or terms like cheapos & snobs.

To me, one man's meat is another man's poison; one man's treasures another man's junk. Different people have different measures & valuations, so anyone can offer any price, buy or sell. If someone offer me $1 for what I bought at $1000 & selling AT $800, I did just smile & say thank you for the offer but I am willing to sell only at $XXX. No need to be upset, angry or anything. I just take as that person is ill informed, a moron, a pranskter, a dealer, a novice, etc & laugh it off. The price of something doesnt necessarily reflects its worth, just the costs.

Last edited:
In the original sense of the term, low-ball is not only about asking for lower price.

It's actually a jedi mind trick to get the other party to commit and seal the deal first, then suddenly backtrack and renegotiate the deal. Going through this procedure actually makes the other party more susceptible to accept the renegotiated (and probably more unfair) deal.

The classic paper on low-balling:
ScienceDirect - Journal of Personality and Social Psychology : Low-ball procedure for producing compliance: Commitment then cost

Last edited:
I think this is relating to a seller offering a low price to hook on a buyer then increases it. Not a buyer offering a low price to "soften" the "opposition" (like disheartening the other party, create insecurity, doubts as to its ability to sell etc) so as to get a better deal later, which is what often happens in B&S, & which some people often complains about. Both are just psychological methods in negotiations & deals. My 2 cents.

In the original sense of the term, low-ball is not only about asking for lower price.

It's actually a jedi mind trick to get the other party to commit and seal the deal first, then suddenly backtrack and renegotiate the deal. Going through this procedure actually makes the other party more susceptible to accept the renegotiated (and probably more unfair) deal.

The classic paper on low-balling:
ScienceDirect - Journal of Personality and Social Psychology : Low-ball procedure for producing compliance: Commitment then cost

Last edited:
Hi folks, feel the need to voice out on this thread. I hate the 'term' myself,but having experienced it,appreciated the term VERY MUCH. Even when you quote $xxx FIRM, low-baller still jammed your phone with LOWER offers. Still hate the 'words' and will never use it on my thread. BLACK-LIST the phone nos.

You selling your 5dmkii for $2500.

I SMS you and offer $1000. I am a lowballer.

You identify that, then sell me your 5dmkii. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

You selling your 5dmkii for $2500.

I SMS you and offer $1000. I am a lowballer.

You identify that, then sell me your 5dmkii. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Not so, it has more to do with offering a price way lower than the market value, given the condition of the item.

If you are selling a 5D M2 with buttons dropping out and fungus infecting 50% of the sensor, I think there is nothing wrong with someone offering you $1,000; in fact, I might think it too much.

Here's a clear case of a low baller; seller has provided clear pictures of a pristine camera model (let's just call it Cikon 5800). Most people in the market are selling this item at one year of age, without warranty, mint conditon, all items in box intact... For $1200.

A lowballer would SMS the seller and say, "offer you $700".
A delusional lowballer would SMS the seller and say, "offer you $700 to take the item off your hands, quick deal".
A mad lowballer would SMS the seller and say, "saw this item going for $500 on eBay. offer $400, deal tonight. :)".

:bsmilie:

Noxire said:
Kinda confused about this term.

When an offer to qualify you as a LOWBALLER?

Can somebody set an example?

I know it's when you offer much lower against the asking price but how low?

I thought its someone with a serious case of hernia and his t's hang lower than the third root of his height divided by the density (low) of his brains.

Here's a clear case of a low baller; seller has provided clear pictures of a pristine camera model (let's just call it Cikon 5800). Most people in the market are selling this item at one year of age, without warranty, mint conditon, all items in box intact... For $1200.

A delusional lowballer would SMS the seller and say, "offer you $700 to take the item off your hands, quick deal".
A mad lowballer would SMS the seller and say, "saw this item going for $500 on eBay. offer $400, deal tonight. :)".

Yup... someone tried this on me before... can't even bother to answer the sms... :nono:

If you happen to see someone who is walking with his leg kicking sideway instead of straight, he is a LOWBALLER.:bsmilie:

i think as mentioned earlier, there's 2 meaning - the original one is to agree to a price, and then later, upon meeting to deal, try to renegotiate with a lower price.

the more common meaning associated here is to offer what is perceived to be an unreasonably low price despite the stated asking price.

but that's just the crude definition. i feel that the threshold is subjective. what's low to u may be fair to me and vice versa. it really depends on the state of mind so there's no objective measure to define "lowball behavior".

at the end of the day, its willing buyer, willing seller. if there is no consensus on the price, just don't deal :what: doesn't matter if the other party feels low-balled or not.

edutilos- said:
Not so, it has more to do with offering a price way lower than the market value, given the condition of the item.

If you are selling a 5D M2 with buttons dropping out and fungus infecting 50% of the sensor, I think there is nothing wrong with someone offering you $1,000; in fact, I might think it too much.

I seem to meet the delusional and mad variety a lot:bsmilie:

Agree that there is no need to be upset over ridiculous low price offered as it's a willing seller and willing buyer contract. Seller can choose not to reply or simply say no as I have done so. Seller certainly has the right to state that low ballers will be ignored. As to what is too low, that will be the individual's prerogative. I would say low ballers are not as bad as "aeroplane flyers" and seller/buyer who does not honor an agreement to deal/meet but change his/her because a better deal came along.

at the end of the day, its willing buyer, willing seller. if there is no consensus on the price, just don't deal :what: doesn't matter if the other party feels low-balled or not.
I agree with you that no one is worse off because of low-balling for the latter definition. Nonetheless, it can come off as being rude. To put it into perspective; if you are in a market, and every fishmonger is selling say salmon, at $30 a kg; I think trying to haggle for $26-$28 a kg might be doable if you buy a large quantity... But certainly no one would strut up and declare that they will take the salmon off the fishmongers' hands for $10 a kg?

An item being sold for $120. Someone offers you $40. Lowballing.

Same item, same price. Someone offers you $100. Haggling.

I agree with you that no one is worse off because of low-balling for the latter definition. Nonetheless, it can come off as being rude. To put it into perspective; if you are in a market, and every fishmonger is selling say salmon, at $30 a kg; I think trying to haggle for $26-$28 a kg might be doable if you buy a large quantity... But certainly no one would strut up and declare that they will take the salmon off the fishmongers' hands for $10 a kg?

i don't see it as "rude" per se - more that the guy knows nothing abt the fish business to offer such a ridiculous price.

i do feel that some pple who low-ball really have no idea what things cost.

the other category of course, are the direct opposites: pple who know the prices, but are trying to score some cheap buys so they can flip and make a quick buck. this type, can show them the finger. these are the rude ones.

i do feel that some pple who low-ball really have no idea what things cost.

While not everyone is at fault, I still have to disagree... I've once got an 'offer' that was way too low to consider... I told the person so, he reply "There is no harm in trying"... :sweat:

There are just people who like a good bargain and don't care what you think... :think:

Market price? How to judge?