Who uses Skype?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyftk

Jun 24, 2005
Eastern Singapore
I just started using this about a month or so back and realised how fantastic VOIP can be... *Ya ya, call me sua ku...*

So anyone else out here on CS using Skype and wanna add me or other CSers, post your contact here :D

I'm on Skype :D

As I travel quite a bit recently, I've been using SkypeOut to contact friends in Singapore and my darling in Chiang Rai very frequently. HUGE savings on phone bills!!!

But I don't think it's a good idea to post your Skype contact here lah... :eek:

I've been using Skype with the USB phone. Good clarity and noise cancellation.

Hitman said:
I'm on Skype :D

As I travel quite a bit recently, I've been using SkypeOut to contact friends in Singapore and my darling in Chiang Rai very frequently. HUGE savings on phone bills!!!

But I don't think it's a good idea to post your Skype contact here lah... :eek:
Well... I can PM you if you want... But mine's up there so anyone, feel free to add.;) Just ID yourself when you add me and please don't suka call me for fun horz... :bsmilie:

medane said:
I've been using Skype with the USB phone. Good clarity and noise cancellation.

Hi..
may i know.. where can get the USB phone? and how much? any website? thx!

Jack27 said:
Hi..
if you have bluetooth in your pc then better use norman bluetooth headset :cool:

i was using that always :D

Jack27 said:
Hi..

Challenger and South Asia Computer does have a small range of USB phones. Ranger is one of the brands available. Generally, prices range from $50+ - $200

The lower cost ones connect through a standard USB cord to the PC, there are some cordless ones available. But the base station of the cordless unit is still connected to the USB port. There is also a version which seems to be able to connect to the standard phone jack as well.

I tried Skype on my PDA, later found that it's as expensive as IP phone cards out there.

dRebelXT said:
I tried Skype on my PDA, later found that it's as expensive as IP phone cards out there.

Care to explain? I thought if you connect to free wifi, it should be free?

Cheers
John

don't you guys find that using skype is prone to some virus? I used it before extensively in my work place. But then one of my colleague reported that her PC was infected by a virus that is suspected to be spread from skype. After that I scared and stop using it.

Skype enables users to make free calls from 1 party to another party on computers. This requires both users have Skype installed on their computers.

SkypeOut enables users to have a low cost way to make calls from Skype to friends who still use those traditional landlines or mobile phones. That means calling anyone, anywhere in the world at local rates. Rates will be based on the place that you are calling.

SkypeIN basically is a real number that your friend (using land/mobile lines) to call you. You will pickup the call using Skype.

alwayschampion said:
Skype enables users to make free calls from 1 party to another party on computers. This requires both users have Skype installed on their computers.

SkypeOut enables users to have a low cost way to make calls from Skype to friends who still use those traditional landlines or mobile phones. That means calling anyone, anywhere in the world at local rates. Rates will be based on the place that you are calling.

SkypeIN basically is a real number that your friend (using land/mobile lines) to call you. You will pickup the call using Skype.

Not very sure for all but I think most people use the mode 1 (PC/PDA to PC/PDA). If I need to call, would call directly to the person handphone/telephone.

Cheers
John

1 basic requirement of Skype is a personal computer.

If you are looking for a more direct way like phone to phone, you may consider the Starhub new VOIP Digital voice Travel. Which allows you to make unlimited overseas calls (Not singapore) whenever you are (in any country) and also free call back to local numbers.(Singapore registered no.)

Http://www.starhub.com

alwayschampion said:
1 basic requirement of Skype is a personal computer.
Very soon, this will no longer be a basic requirement, they are making a handset which loads skype and is a wi-fi device.

Read this in the latest Computer Times.

If I recall correctly in a previous Computer Times issue or maybe read it in some other Computer Magazine, there is a USB Skype phone which also connects to the PSTN and there is a feature that can re-route your skype calls to the PSTN local line... imagine having this and when you get a call on skype it re-routes to your mobile when you enabled this feature.

Now, that would be good to have... skype to mobile at no extra cost. Hmmm.... I think I need to off-load my Telecom stocks. :bsmilie:

../azul123

Status
Not open for further replies.