Who thinks a GND filter is useful for landscapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windwaver

May 19, 2007
Europa
windwaver.tripod.com
I've never used a GND for landscapes but matter how I shoot, I can't seem to get the effects of those shooting with GND :bsmilie:. I know that you can get similiar effects in post processing (pp) but in cases where areas are exposed wrongly, the details can't be recorded in the 1st place.

Just want to know from gurus in here if GND is a must have for landscape to make it look nice :D

not a guru.

if u wanna take the details of a bright sky without over-exposing it or under-expose the landscape below the sky, what else can u do?

so far the only filters i keep are CPL, GND, and ND. u might wanna try a grad. sunset orange also.

I've never used a GND for landscapes but matter how I shoot, I can't seem to get the effects of those shooting with GND :bsmilie:. I know that you can get similiar effects in post processing (pp) but in cases where areas are exposed wrongly, the details can't be recorded in the 1st place.

Just want to know from gurus in here if GND is a must have for landscape to make it look nice :D

it depends on the light

once you understand how light and exposure works, then you will see that for certain timings, you will almost always need a gnd, esp at sunset

esp for seascapes, and wide landscapes

it also depends on the type of pictures you take

Not guru.

But for high dynamic range scenes, having an ( appropriate ) GND helps. Of course u can always have options of bracketting for HDR / exposure blending ..

I usually feel naked without carrying my filters :bsmilie:

2753196191_00db921e90_b.jpg

Here is a recent shot taken. A +2 reverse grad. Not enough to hold the sun back to a nice yolk, but gave me some bit of the details on delineating the shades of the mountain ranges.

Ryan

Here is a recent shot taken. A +2 reverse grad. Not enough to hold the sun back to a nice yolk, but gave me some bit of the details on delineating the shades of the mountain ranges.

Ryan

i think starburst > yolk here.. what's with the quest for yolks all the time! :bsmilie:

nice shot, btw

Yes!its is like almost a must...at least for me....

why do u think it is always in demand..?it is something yr camera cant do without when there is two diverse an exposure in yr image

Thx night86mare, wasn aiming for a yolk, in case people misunderstand the usage intended.

Hi thecornerofyoureye

No personal verification or tonnes of experience, but the cheaper filters like Cokin might produce color casts. The more expensive ones like Singh Ray are better optical resins claiming neutrality ( pretty neutral, has been a breeze to use ). As to purchasing base on the price vs performance, it is really up to the appetite of the buyer / user.

Ryan

Last edited:
I shoot some pics for company documenting the works using medium format film.

Always involves part of the sky and the land in the pics. The GND filter really saves many shots for me as there are many times when the light is pretty harsh. So I cant live without it.

I also use the filters handheld in front of my small digicam to check exposure.

Using Lee filters so cant comment on other brands. Pain pain 1 time buy but it lasts.

GND filter was almost a must for most landscape shoot before using post processing or HDR technique. But it's one of the easier way to get blue sky.

GND is extremely useful for landscapes
if not,you can try bracketing,or taking 2 exposures,
1 metering for the sky,1 for the foreground.of course,you'll need a tripod for this

I think it's a useful equipment for photography but I don't have one. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.