Who still shoot Slide Film here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theITguy

Sep 19, 2003
In this small world
Visit site
With the power and abilities of Digital Imaging, photography has never been easier to learn. While I start off as a Prosumer G5 user, I had since sold that off for a SLR and fall in love with slide film. My area of photography is mainly landscape, street travelling, and scenery. While I was looking to get some slide film, I was surprised to find out that local stores like Cathay Photo and Ruby Photo are hardly bringing in certain retail slide films, like the Astia 100F and Velvia 50.

Maybe you guys can give your thoughts while voting why you are still using slides etc. No flaming please ;)

Anyone can vote, thats why there are 8 options I thought of. Maybe my Thread topic not good enough to lure everyone to see. Maybe some people do not know what is slide?

I shoot slide and B&W most of the time,only when I shoot sport or wildlife which may waste lot of film I use DSLR

BTW why I can't vote here,can't find the answer in FAQ.

just shot one roll. love the colors of Velvia 100! :) but now have a problem cos I sold off my film scanner. it's a hassle "scanning" with DSLR ;p

i've started using velvia 50 not long ago. But have yet to develop the film coz i still have more than 8 shots remaining... heh... I can't wait to see how the pictures will look like.

I'm using my SLR for slides and negatives and a digital compact for my daily serving of pictures.

dun wait liao
quickly go develop them
I alway send in for developing even when I left with 5-8 frames left
this is to avoid color loss :)

U will never regret using sildes !!!

Hee hee
theITguy, is me again !! :p

I was a ex-300D user .... sold it away after i keep having a feeling that DSLR will not last me that long as my FM2 & EOS 30 :)

Love the color and sharpness of sildes !!
Provia 100 is my all purpose sildes
Provai 400 is my night shoot sildes
Velvia 50 is for my landscape shoot sildes

Heard Astia is good .... will try it one day

I mainly shoot landscape, abstract and street candid ....
:heart:
Hope sildes will never die off !!

Slides are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once you have seen the colour of slides, you wouldn't want to try negatives. With DSLR, I have to do some PSing in order to achieve similar colours as slides. I have not tried Velvia yet, but even with a low end consumer Kodak slide film, the colours and saturation will bowed you over. But of course if the running costs is a concern, DSLR would be cheaper and allow you to take more photos. If only I can afford a film scanner now, I'm sure I will use slides more often.

locksley said:
dun wait liao
quickly go develop them
I alway send in for developing even when I left with 5-8 frames left
this is to avoid color loss :)

U will never regret using sildes !!!

Oh my... I didn't know about colour loss.

by the way, can velvia 50 take long exposures? I heard about some effects about long exposure on velvia but have no idea what it is.

Me to and am keeping the F5 for this purpose :cool:

kelccm said:
Slides are :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Once you have seen the colour of slides, you wouldn't want to try negatives. With DSLR, I have to do some PSing in order to achieve similar colours as slides. I have not tried Velvia yet, but even with a low end consumer Kodak slide film, the colours and saturation will bowed you over. But of course if the running costs is a concern, DSLR would be cheaper and allow you to take more photos. If only I can afford a film scanner now, I'm sure I will use slides more often.

Get a minota SD 4 like me
about 600 ... no ICE
just tat have to spend more time in PS loh

fuzzy said:

by the way, can velvia 50 take long exposures? I heard about some effects about long exposure on velvia but have no idea what it is.

what are the effects ?
anyone know ?

Slides really rock! Nothing I have seen comes close to the quality of a projected slide. When we do slide shows, it is really something else... compared to looking at prints or an image on a PC.

Yes, y not?

locksley said:
Hee hee
theITguy, is me again !! :p

I was a ex-300D user .... sold it away after i keep having a feeling that DSLR will not last me that long as my FM2 & EOS 30 :)

Love the color and sharpness of sildes !!
Provia 100 is my all purpose sildes
Provai 400 is my night shoot sildes
Velvia 50 is for my landscape shoot sildes

Heard Astia is good .... will try it one day

I mainly shoot landscape, abstract and street candid ....
:heart:
Hope sildes will never die off !!

Well said.. slides rule!!!

Slides seem like they're fading in popularity, according to the person that mans ruby's counter when i talked to him some time back. Well, sadly, i think it's safe to say that with digital becoming so cheap and convenient, negs and chromes will be on the decline, esp in singapore.

Funny thing is... last june when i stopped by in Singapore to attend a sem in NTU, i met some kids who were wielding dslrs covering the event for their school comms dept paper... Amazed with their 1dmkII. 1x. etc and their L, ed lenses, i asked them if they still shot chrome, 2 of them didn't even KNOW what chrome/slides were... :eek:

in my honest opinion, nothing will ever ever come close to the quality of colour, detail, depth of chromes.

You can use a 33mp full framed med format back, (company has one) get an experienced com graphic artist to PS it till there's no tmrw, and it will STILL loose out to a chrome..

Ok la.. maybe it will be on par with a 35mm slide, but compare it with a 6x7 or even a 4x5? no way...

costs a lot more though... but to me, the detail and richness, they're worth the extra $.

Hi ITguy, I use film too. Although not as much as digital. I primarily shoot Kodachrome or Ilford BW. I agree about the colour loss, slides are very good for retaining colour.

cheers.

fuzzy said:

Color loss would come from the film aging while it's in the camera. That's why you should process as soon as practical ... sometimes, in my excitement to get something shot in the beginning of a roll, I'll "sacrifice" half a roll rather than wait until I find something else to shoot.

As for the long exposure question, I think what you're referring to is called film "reciprocity" ... do a search on Google, I'm sure you can find a lot of info on this. I sort of know of it (ie. it exists :bsmilie: ), but never bothered with the details because I've never needed to do long exposure on slide film yet. I think this affects all films, not just Velvia.

BTW, you don't need a loupe/lightbox or projector to see the "wow" effect of properly exposed slides ... just get a simple $5 viewer from places like Ruby (nice and portable).

theITguy said:
With the power and abilities of Digital Imaging, photography has never been easier to learn. While I start off as a Prosumer G5 user, I had since sold that off for a SLR and fall in love with slide film. My area of photography is mainly landscape, street travelling, and scenery. While I was looking to get some slide film, I was surprised to find out that local stores like Cathay Photo and Ruby Photo are hardly bringing in certain retail slide films, like the Astia 100F and Velvia 50.

Maybe you guys can give your thoughts while voting why you are still using slides etc. No flaming please ;)

I used slide film for quite a while and switched to Digital. I just bought a new MF camera, a kiev 88 and a 6x4.5 back so I can shoot large slides. I also have a 35 mm Zorki C and I plan to carry that one around in my car for situation shots. If I had a darkroom I would be shooting mostly B&W film as I prefer the tonality and subtlety which color doesn't have.

Wanna buy my EOS DR? LOL
http://forums.clubsnap.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1082885#
angel

Status
Not open for further replies.