Who started modemming with 1200/2400bps before WWW?

Who started modemming with 1200/2400bps before WWW

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

evershine

Dec 15, 2003
nex
evershine.blogspot.com
Anyone here started 'modemming' or logging on to bbs (before WWW era)when the fastest speed was 1200/2400bps?

I started when the speed was 300bps. Maybe i can find some old online friends here...

Remember those days when you have to start WinSock and then Mosaic?

My first modem was 9600bps

But then I was only testing testing. I remember searching for a list of bbs... have to hunt high and low then discovered most are private boards...sianz. :(

Anyone here started 'modemming' or logging on to bbs (before WWW era)when the fastest speed was 1200/2400bps?

I started when the speed was 300bps. Maybe i can find some old online friends here...

300bps?!

But if it were all text only and no images, should be quite fast right?

imagine that time everything no pic 1...

Ascii art was born in those good old days.

Last time modem as big as a briefcase and use acoustic coupler one (when phones were still dialled).

Last time modem as big as a briefcase and use acoustic coupler one (when phones were still dialled).

wa lau. I think you are king. I don't remember my modem being as large as a briefcase. Although I do remember the pre-www days where it is just BBS, usenets, email.

i was a later batch 1, mine is self installed ISA 1 into my during that time super new 386... think its 2400bps. Teleview also need a video card with many rows of chips. and the picture really darn bad... and so slow that i could die...

wa lau. I think you are king. I don't remember my modem being as large as a briefcase. Although I do remember the pre-www days where it is just BBS, usenets, email.

he is super ah peh...

life is never the same after they introduce the 33.6kbps modem... :bsmilie:

I can still recall the days of BBS...heh. That time you dial into someone's home line to access his bbs for pictures and text files or just to chat with the "sysop". So long never call anyone a "sysops" man! heh.... Man this bring back memories. Those days, chatting and logging on all require that you know how to type code lines including dialing strings..etc. You get credit in BBS to dowload files esepcially those days ppl were exchanging notti pictures or pirated S/Ws heh...you then d/l from one bbs and then you upload to another bbs to gain d/l credits and they have ratios like one picture or file gets you 2 files/pic. It was like cavemen bartering heheh....man... Losing sleep was the norm back then due to bbs, ircs and sometime some simple hacking into other's sytem heheh.

Just curious...anyone here from the Singtel's TELEVIEW days? gheheh...that was like the first chatline in Singapore...all in 256 colours and 640x480 pixel screen resolution. There was a time a 2400 modem from USRobotics cost you a good arm and a leg! heheh.

I miss those days.. Chatting was so much more better and dare I say more intelligent. These days....I step into IRC...and just watching the chat for 1 min..and you want to crash out ASAP. Damn have not heard of SIA BBS for a lonnnnnng time too heheh....

I not king lah, not that old yet. I just saw picture of it before.

Friend it is not 'ascii art'. It is 'ANSI Graphics'. You'll be amazed what one can do with ANSI. Some fellas could do some really neat and nice animation with ANSI character sets.

I can still recall the days of BBS...heh. That time you dial into someone's home line to access his bbs for pictures and text files or just to chat with the "sysop".

I still remember the founder of the singapore linux group had free internet through his bbs (usenet/email access) during that time. I went to install linux so I could read usenet and email. There were like zero internet provider during that time.

The only way I could access email was like throught the linux bbs and the tender office in my army camp :)

I still remember the founder of the singapore linux group had free internet through his bbs (usenet/email access) during that time. I went to install linux so I could read usenet and email. There were like zero internet provider during that time.

The only way I could access email was like throught the linux bbs and the tender office in my army camp :)

oh ya...and those messenger boards unlike forums theses day. You want to post or read what others wrote you have to log out and in often in those one- one bbs. Unless you have access to boards like SIA bbs or the like that are big enough to host a bunch of people at the same time, forum posting was "snail slow" heheh....

My first GVC modem is 1200 bps and it connects to my XT via RS232. Download the files from BBS uses X-modem, Y-modem and Z-modem protocol. I liked SIA-BBS as it had 16 nodes. Used to print a long listing of BBS. Also tried ansi graphics to create creative images and knew the ascii characters and color coding :p

1st virus infected my PC was (c) brain ... @@

First modem was a 300 bps modem - used it to get on bbs'. Ahhh... those were the days, watching the screen load, line by line (actually, character by character as at that speed you could follow the cursor along and read the text)

My first GVC modem is 1200 bps and it connects to my XT via RS232. Download the files from BBS uses X-modem, Y-modem and Z-modem protocol. I liked SIA-BBS as it had 16 nodes. Used to print a long listing of BBS. Also tried ansi graphics to create creative images and knew the ascii characters and color coding :p

1st virus infected my PC was (c) brain ... @@

Z-Modem protocol was the best as it has better error correction and less problem with downloads. heheh...Damn..it is all coming back now....:)

oh and...bbsing made me put aside photography for almost 3 yrs heheh

My 1st modem was a 14400

I remember one of my fav. bbs is Pseudo BBS. Though there were no pics. in BBS, but some BBS do trade JPGs.

And I played the text-based game "Legend of the Red Dragon". Manage to kill the all-time top player there once (remember his nick is Big Fish), and claimed the top player title for a week.

Being the top player entitled you extra login time everyday. :bsmilie:

hahaha.. brings back memories... i started using the 300 also... sherry computer... bbs... hahaha... so long ago man.... 186.. even before the XT... ;p

My first encounter with modem is company's Hayes (can't remember accura or optima) 14.4kbps....use it for Eudora email, simpler web browsing using IE 3 and BBS using my senior account (Creative, SIA) :lovegrin: Mainly buy and sell stuffs....also bought a lot of installers...that time was about $40 to $60 per CD :D

Status
Not open for further replies.