Who should you buy from? $850 or $1450?

chloesevi

Jun 3, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm new here but would like to ask before purchasing a handycam. I'm preparing to buy a sony handycam HDR-XR150. I've checked the prices and most places sell for $1400-$1500.

However, over at sim lim, there's one shop which sells at $850 called the Dynamic Electronics. Is there any problems regarding buying at $850? It sounds too good to be true and I've no idea whether is there some potential problems?

Thanks!
George

may be the price before GST and without charger, battery or any original part in the the box..?? i really dont trust sim lim or lucky plaza

if its too good to be true, then it is. they may psycho u to buy some extra accessories which u dun need to and charged a high price for it!

Welcome to CS :)
Check around a few more places before buying ;)

Hmmm.. I've checked around and shops like courts, harvey norman, ms color selling around $1,399-$1,500. For sim lim, there are a few places that sells at $900-$1000.

If I choose to ship from amazon, it should be around $850-$900 too. quite a dilemma here.

Hmmm.. I've checked around and shops like courts, harvey norman, ms color selling around $1,399-$1,500. For sim lim, there are a few places that sells at $900-$1000.

If I choose to ship from amazon, it should be around $850-$900 too. quite a dilemma here.
Better get from the more reputable shops ;)

After that,they will say:

Battery $100
Extra battery(This one better can last longer than the original) $200
Charger $50
Warranty $100
USB cable $50

You will end up paying more than the actual RRP:bsmilie:

P.S Amazon don't forget to add GST and shipping costs:)

like what most said, there could be missing accessories (common practice for SLS and Lucky Plaza). Do check properly.

Ask on the warranty, if its by Sony or the Shop.
and if it is NTSC or PAL

Lastly you mentioned you can get from Amazon around $850-$900 which I suppose is NTSC sets, instead of PAL sets sold in Singapore.

Lots of shop have this 'common practice' to trick ppl come in. Late will tell you buy this buy that and will pay more than you should be. Or this not included in box set so have to buy.

You can try...
1) know what are the standard items (box set)
2) Warranty
3) Confirm price (w/GST)
4) Buy just the item w/o extra items.
5) See what the will say...

Or $250 macro and wide angle adapters... (worth $10)

Lots of shop have this 'common practice' to trick ppl come in. Late will tell you buy this buy that and will pay more than you should be. Or this not included in box set so have to buy.

You can try...
1) know what are the standard items (box set)
2) Warranty
3) Confirm price (w/GST)
4) Buy just the item w/o extra items.
5) See what the will say...

Agree with this. Most boxes will write what's supposed to be in the box. To me, if everything is in the box and fits the description, then it's ok. Don't be pressured by them to buy extra stuff... However, if you're not very comfortable or knowledgeable with electronics and market prices, I'd advise against Sim Lim, and stick to the reputable stores. It's a dog eat dog place out there. Only those who know what they want and the price of it can find good deals AND get good deals. There have already been too many "casualties" from Sim Lim coming back to Clubsnap to complain and lament.

Bait and switch tactics?

Likely will say out of stock and then suggest others "better" options.

Check is it local set with local warranty, check the accessories given and ask can cash and carry without buying anything else. After that grab and run. Haha.

Btw i encounter this before. A sony handycam selling for $1900 which my mum interested in a few years ago, we when to SLS and begin quoted for $2000 and we ask for discount. After that the price when down from $2000, $1850, $1700, $1500 all the way down to $1000. You dare to buy?? LOL. Discount $1000 sia. His commision must be very high.

Threadstarter....... the answer is obvious........

It's human nature...If it is true can save $600. I also want.

All have the same opinion so must be true...still half believe no harm to go and try.

Buy at Sim Lim at your own risk. Later don't come and complain on ClubSnap!

(From personal experience) I got conned there 2 months ago. Sales man quoted me $128 for a screen protector which I ended up paying $33 dollar for. :mad:

Last edited:
However, over at sim lim, there's one shop which sells at $850 called the Dynamic Electronics. Is there any problems regarding buying at $850? It sounds too good to be true and I've no idea whether is there some potential problems?

Thanks!
George

$600 difference seems like too much of a difference, even if $1450 is RRP.

be careful, they might just play the usual SIM LIM TRICKS with you.

i suggest you be a good boy and pay the "normal price"