Who "play" ebay.com here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pang-Jio Man

Aug 22, 2007
just registered a paypal account, verified and linked to my ebay account.

anyone bidded for anything through e.bay here? can share ur experience of paying thorugh paypal>?

thanks ....:)

anyone bidded for anything through e.bay here? can share ur experience of paying thorugh paypal>?

Nothing special though. The payment process is pretty simple.

Apart from the rates being not as good as the exchange rate of that day, paypal is just like any other forms of payment; though they are one of the safer modes of money transfer.

Some of the things you buy through ebay are more expensive than if you buy them from the shops. So it's wise to do a bit of research.

But it is a good way to find hard-to-get stuffs.
In ausland that might be true. Do a search for a Nikon F3 or a Nikon F4 and compare that to the Singapore prices and your jaw would drop!

Having said that, there is always a risk when you buy on ebay, so checking the seller's history is MANDATORY. Paypal is useful, as it gives you some insurance (though limited to the first couple of hundred dollars. And remember, that for everything above S$400 (including postage costs), you will have to add 7% GST.

Be careful, be wise, and always have an upper limit to your bidding - a rush of blood can be very very expensive!

-- Marios

I've had my ebay and paypal account since 2002 so maybe i can share my experiences with you... When you buy something you have to read the item description carefully. If you have any doubts eg: item authenticity, pls email the seller and ASK! That is to protect you from fraud or misrepresentation and in the event of the seller selling you something not sold as described, you have proof when you complain to ebay. In addition, always check the feedback ratings of a seller. Read the negative comments and his responses. Sometimes it's the buyers' fault. Beware of sellers asking for payment by western union/posting cash to them too. There are plenty of dodgy lomo lc-a sellers who only accept payment through western union n you will most likely say au revoir to ur $$. 99% of the ebay sellers accept payment through paypal so ignore those who insist on ONLY western union or cash in an envelope.

As for selling, pls describe carefully eg: minor scratches at a specific location n also include "item sold as described" in bold so that the buyer cannot bite back and claim u sold them something which their anal-selves cannot accept or pre-lasik eyes' failure to read carefully. ebay will charge you a fee for selling and paypal will charge you a fee for payment collection n withdrawing funds. I cant remember how much but it is not alot n generally, paypal is safe.

Happy "playing" with ebay. SOmetimes u can really find good stuff there. :)

I am a Ebay.com & Paypal user since 2001. I dun have any very bad experience so far. I will say i am pretty good at it. 100% positive feedback too... ;p Like promoting myself like that... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I've had about 25 transactions through Ebay as a buyer.

Had a case of fraudulent description (lens had prominent fungus but seller somehow didn't know, didn't show).
Two cases of 'forgotten' refunds or exchanges of faulty items (faulty flash cord and laptop battery returned and sellers never bothered to reply ever again)
Bought a polarizer that reached me broken and seller didn't entertain my complaints.

Seems to me it's a risky market for lemons, even though they are the minority, 4/25 = 16% is not really a small probability of experiencing a soured deal.

Don't put too much hope on Paypal's protection too. Had a refund for my broken polarizer simply because the seller didn't respond at all. My case with the returned faulty laptop battery is still being deliberated for more than 4 months after my Paypal complaint was filed.

Last edited:
I am a Ebay.com & Paypal user since 2001. I dun have any very bad experience so far. I will say i am pretty good at it. 100% positive feedback too... ;p Like promoting myself like that... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

So far,i've been lucky...100% positive feedback too. Maybe it's cos i buy 90% of the time and i pay instantly so they gave me positive feedbacks? Am i promoting myself too? :bsmilie:

Hi, I've done both buying and selling on ebay (local and international) for a while now (recently more buying then selling :( $$$ gone...)

It is generally a good place to buy stuff but as already warned by many fellow CS-ers here...make sure you buy from reputable source, by means of checking their feedbacks (and the number of feedbacks). I usually will not immediately buy from someone says have 1000 ratings and 99.4% possitive. If I am buying from this person for the first time, I will take time to read through he feedbacks, especially feedbacks left by buyers with high number of feedbacks themselves. If they have negative, I will try and read through the reasons (if you can still find those negative feedbacks, some may be way back).

When I am satisfied, than I will bid/buy. Do note that it is still a risk as you will more than likely to be transferring your money first, and for cheap items, the ebay/paypal buyer protection is not really useful. Also, be careful with sellers from certain asian countries (don't want to mention name lah) who sometimes claim to be selling genuine items, they still get good amount of positive feedbacks because most don't care but most turn out to be genuine imitation (you get what I mean).

All in all, I have a positive experience in ebay over the years with 1 failed transaction (items never arrived) out of the 286 transactions so far (with 181 unique ratings). I will sure be raising those numbers in the near future :p

Note: as mentioned by one of the CS-er, the paypal rate is lousier than normal exchange rate but is one of the more widely accepted way of payment in ebay. In fact, the cheapest way (coz most don't offer credit card payment) as compare to money order, western union (avoid if possible, least safe way of payment), bank draft, etc...for overseas payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.