Who knows where the road leads?

icy55

Mar 13, 2011
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
As it's my first attempt I would like your views on:
  • Composition
  • Post-processing
  • What kind of emotions occur to you?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
A sense of direction but yet uncertainty to where the road will lead.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was a bright and sunny afternoon, feeling a little humid. But when I walked down this road, it felt comfortable and I decided to add 'warm' feelings to the picture.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I like this picture because it perfect describes how I am as a person. Objective, but yet, a little uncertain at times.

5721658162_4d15495144_z.jpg

Your answer in pt 4, why it appeals to you. Are you an extremely private person; someone who doesn't take risks (you can only walk straight ahead); someone who is closed in by walls so high one can only look up and ahead. Well you don't have to answer me your inner most thoughts but would like to highlight the deeper meanings behind every photograph taken and viewed as our life experience. Hope your self-realisation will bring your spiritual awareness and photography to new heights.

Technically, to suit your intended message, it would pay to dramatise your image a bit. Work it over in PS and inject yourself into the image lest it presents to other viewers as a snapshot. After all, it's your personality you want us to relate to and not just another landscape photograph. Do more to tell your own story, if you have not done so.

Last edited:
for emotions, this photo lack of human element (bridge and road not included)
not necessary a human being looking blur who doesn't know where the road leads to.
maybe something of a subject used or made by human that can bring this emotion up.

Okay cheers! Thanks a lot for the advice!

Your photo sort of reminded me of myself, we may think very much alike. :bsmilie:

longroadahead.jpg

As a (mostly) landscape photographer, I think rather differently from the others here. A good landscape photo need not always have human subjects to make it look good - mother nature is much more magnificent than human beings, and we are but a part of it.

But I would say, good composition, but is not projecting what you wanted. Uncertainty - will not be a road that is well paved, nice and sunny.

Last edited:
TS, I see what you are trying to do here. And it is a good attempt. But I felt your handling of the PP is a little too contrasty. And I failed to feel the "uncertainty" part you were trying to potray.

Thanks for all the comments! Really appreciate it! =)

The uncertainty part was what I thought of after editing the picture. When I snapped the photo, I had no intention to portray it this way. But you know, sometimes, while editing it, the unexpected happens!

Thanks for all the comments! Really appreciate it! =)

The uncertainty part was what I thought of after editing the picture. When I snapped the photo, I had no intention to portray it this way. But you know, sometimes, while editing it, the unexpected happens!

Oh ok. But sometimes, think of what emotions you are trying to show first, and what you are trying to portray. Have a vision of the image first, then try to execute to produce a picture to that initial vision. It will flow more naturally and your viewers will be able to feel your emotions better as well. Keep on shooting.

I like your picture and the purple road. :)

Just sharing what my teacher told me a few years ago.. for pictures like these, perhaps it's better if you add a subject to it e.g a human element so it shows there's the 'heading towards the unknown' instead of an empty road.

I took a picture of an empty winding road and my teacher told me I might need counselling for depression! >__<

What he's trying to say is that.. Even with an emotive shot, at least show something/someone that is involved. And not total isolation. If you know what I mean. :)?

Show emotion on the subject instead of showing emotion from the "author's" point of view.

But hey, everything is subjective. ;)

Last edited:
Perhaps this photo could be portrayed as a road to enlightenment and not uncertainty since the bridge that led my eye to was to the high-key/overexpose/blown highlights whatever you call it. It looks like paradise/heaven and after a long tiring road which is depicted by the wet road in the foreground. Journey to the west? haha

Maybe more of the bridge could be show for a more drama-mama effect of the destination at the end...

Just my thoughts after seeing the photo!