Who keeps/uses 2 or more identical lens?

niccon2

Jan 27, 2011
Just curious to know if anyone or will there be a few photographers who have this practice. Minding sharing the reasons behind?

Last edited:
some of my lenses i have 2 of the same copy...

why?

so i can boast that i have 2 of the same lens...

and some of my lenses i have 3 of the same copy...

so i can boast that i have 3 copies of the same lens...

and also, some of my lenses i have 4 of the same copy...

so i can boast that i have 4 copies of the same lens...

and....errr..

Just curious to know if anyone or will be a few photographers who have this practice. Minding sharing the reasons behind?

if ur afraid one might break down and u have a backup?

collection. can keep and wait for it to be discontinued. then can sell many times what it was worth.

lulz

some of my lenses i have 2 of the same copy...

why?

so i can boast that i have 2 of the same lens...

and some of my lenses i have 3 of the same copy...

so i can boast that i have 3 copies of the same lens...

and also, some of my lenses i have 4 of the same copy...

so i can boast that i have 4 copies of the same lens...

and....errr..

It's important to keep a copy of yourself. Just in case you're lost there is a replacement of you for the wife. :bsmilie:

The only situation I can think of is for a business, and for a household having two photographers who shoot together.

Just curious to know if anyone or will be a few photographers who have this practice. Minding sharing the reasons behind?

I am sure whatever reasons there are, they will not be practical for sure... Exception being what was brought up earlier , i.e. two people who have the same system wanting to use the same lens at the same time, e.g. Canon users who both use 50mm f/1.4 to shoot cats.

Last edited:
one photog told me once that he keeps two copies of each lens, one in pristine condition as collector's item, never to be used, the other to the used as a workhorse lens.

never understood that logic.

one photog told me once that he keeps two copies of each lens, one in pristine condition as collector's item, never to be used, the other to the used as a workhorse lens.

never understood that logic.

if its an old lens, its quite logically.
but for modern lens its not.

I normally buy and use old discontinued lenses so if a lens is rare and in great condition, I might just get another copy for use as normal workhorse and the nice one I keep as collection. I also do cherry-picking for certain lenses I particularly like. I may just get a few copies, select the best and maybe the 2nd best and then sell off the rest. So before I sell off the excess I could have a few copies of the same lens :p

This basically only applies to old lenses with collection value. New lenses I don't really bother...

Last edited:
haha..didnt expect so many different answers. I was bored yesterday because rain kept me from going out in the morning thus post this question.

But could it be that particular single focal lenght lens is so good that it is used on crop & full sensor to cover differnet focal lenght?

I got a duplicate of old manual focus 50mm f2. They always come with old film cameras I buy.....

Then again, I do have six 50mm lenses not counting like focal lengths...
I don't think I am the only one.
So its a perfectly normal abnormal thing to do. :D

Too good and cheap to be worth the trouble of me selling them off.

Buy 2 and keep shooting see if the IQ or build will differ for both? Although abit useless also.

Remote control another body using the identical lens to get different angle.

I do have identical lenses from the same mount for several reasons, First is we shoot with professional big aperture lenses, I have cheap versions to shoot for my own projects. Once I broke the back element of my 85 f1.2 and that thought me to get a backup for my important focal length.

Eg:
50mm f1.8 for leisure and collection, its a mark1, f1.2 for work, 45mm for creative purposes
85mm f1.8 for small projects, f1.2 for weddings and portraits, 90mm 2.8 for creative purposes