Who just bought a camera and wannabe professional photographer?

if anyone has seen the photos from the link in the initial post, you can see the male gymnast posing on the on the white background with holes in the background. im sure a PRO can do better than this...

I believe that photography is like every other skill eg driving a truck. There is a common basic skill set whether driving taxi or driving lorry. An analogy would be maybe safe braking technique. Of course, the scope and type of work is markedly different.

Likewise I think a good pro regardless of specialty would know what the basic desirable attributes of a good photo (regardless of nature of photo) is. That's all I'm saying.

@allenleonhart :: you seen the photos in the link? i won't say it's easy, but I am quite sure it would inspire more patriotic feeling in the US viewer if the entirety of the flag is visible... Would that be very hard for the photographer...

We are talking about two different spectrum of photography work - in fact although both shooting humans, but at direct opposite ways of approach.

A sports photojournalist shoot people in action, unposed, unscripted, the PJ does not engage the subject and stays invisible, the key point is to tell a story, not create one. Pictures are a result of photographer's reaction to a scene or subject. He specialize in capturing actions and finding frames that tell stories and he also specialize in being unobrusive so as not to influence the behavior of the subjects.

A portrait photographer, especially one for a magazine or commercial advertiser, pose and direct the subjects, engages the subject into conversation and emotions, and injects a lot of influence to the subject. Pictures are a result of the subjects reaction to the photographer (note the differences). He specialize in portraying the human form in pleasing and artistic manner and he also specialize in communication and subject interaction, professional models or normal people who are uncomfortable with posing, he still gets the work done.

Put a portrait photographer to capture news and sports action, he is a fish out of the water, put a sports PJ to create beautiful portraits with a visionary statement to represent the country, this is the result.

Of course there are photographers that does both genres.

Also to newbies, they think its the same. Its not about photography basics of exposure or compositions bro, that is hobby level. Its about work. :)

JMH2C

And talk about patriotic feeling in the US viewer.

Apparently some smart gal from Florida tried to rectify Joe Klamar's work with photoshop:

http://harophotography.smugmug.com/Other/Before/i-Q685rNN/0/L/Joe-Klamar-Photo-L.jpg

But the problem is she doesn't know the US flag only have 50 stars, each star representing a state.

And she photoshopped 60 stars. Again, its not about hobby level of photoshopping for fun. This is state's business.

Might be interesting to read on what really happened...

Olympic portraits by AFP photographer Joe Klamar create controversy | Denver Post Photos, Video

Joe Klamar is not a bad photographer... after all he is an award winner... how many of us here can claim the same? See this...

"The Getty photographer, Joe Klamar, isn’t an inexperienced—or bad—photographer either. He won Picture of the Year at the Czech Press Photo 2009 contest for a photo of Barack Obama taken during a visit to Prague." - from Did Joe Klamar take crummy photos of Olympic athletes on purpose? - Sports - Macleans.ca

Seems to me Klamar is more of photojournalist and not a studio shooting. So a fish out of the water he is... not in his element.

Might be interesting to read on what really happened...

Olympic portraits by AFP photographer Joe Klamar create controversy | Denver Post Photos, Video

Joe Klamar is not a bad photographer... after all he is an award winner... how many of us here can claim the same? See this...

"The Getty photographer, Joe Klamar, isn’t an inexperienced—or bad—photographer either. He won Picture of the Year at the Czech Press Photo 2009 contest for a photo of Barack Obama taken during a visit to Prague." - from Did Joe Klamar take crummy photos of Olympic athletes on purpose? - Sports - Macleans.ca

Seems to me Klamar is more of photojournalist and not a studio shooting. So a fish out of the water he is... not in his element.

Try taking a second look at his photos, they display a very different style of concept ideas and compare to the other photographer display in this forum.
So from the editor point of view, can understand why his photos were the choice photo to be publish instead.....

thanks for those who did the research and helped us know the full picture :thumbsup:

looks like a really cramped and messy environment to do a shoot, let alone a shoot that is supposed to be representative for the country =p

studio portrait photos always looks easy as you only get to see the good pictures, only when you see the bad ones or when do it yourself then can appreciate how those 'simple' shots are not that simple after all

really bad situation for Joe Klamar to be in...

If you read deeper, he is only one of few photographers being invited to do the shoot, and the shoot is not shot in a proper studio, they photographer merely given a small space with some lighting set up, and couple of minutes to each athletes, the photogaphers have to make do whatever being provided.

here is the behind the scene article, Photographing Over 100 Olympic Athletes in Three Days | Photography Blog

143585-olyphotobooths-thumb-600x327-143584.jpg

however, another photographer Kevin Jairaj pull out better images, because he was prepare of the shoot,

Uh... what happened here? (from an AFP/Getty photographer, nonetheless) : photography

here is a photo of his set up,

Image Preview

So I guess, the moral of this story is;

plan ahead and be prepare for the shoot.

don't take a task it is too big for you able to swallow

i think the fotographer is not prepared.

And talk about patriotic feeling in the US viewer.

Apparently some smart gal from Florida tried to rectify Joe Klamar's work with photoshop:

http://harophotography.smugmug.com/Other/Before/i-Q685rNN/0/L/Joe-Klamar-Photo-L.jpg

But the problem is she doesn't know the US flag only have 50 stars, each star representing a state.

And she photoshopped 60 stars. Again, its not about hobby level of photoshopping for fun. This is state's business.

She thought Israel, Afghanistan, Iraq, Japan and other countries are part of US. :D

I disagree, bad photography is bad photography. I feel sorry for the guy as he is a fish out of water, but the shots should have hit the bit bucket and never been printed. Getty are far from my favourite agency due to some of the stunts they've tried to pull over the years with such things as attempting to deny copyright and hence payment to photographers for derivative works (ie a quick change in PhotoShop of an image) and then not paying the photographer the due royalties. That stunt lead to the first strike by professional photographers since the late 1950s in the USA and UK.

There will have been an art editor (or someone by another name, same essential function) involved and while the concept sounds good on paper it's woefully flawed from what little I know. Said editor/director should be lynched as a public service :bsmilie:

No wonder Jerry Seh said he will only shoot sports and nothing else. And I thought he was kidding me when he said he knows next to nothing when it comes to studio lighting and portraiture. Now, I see the wisdom in his words.

Last edited:
To be honest, whatever the reason might be, it doesn't do justice to the subjects.

I am not sure why that the photographer took the job given the condition and the scope of the work??? It is sometimes better to walk away from great pay for long term benefit.

Perhaps, the photographer just want to proof a point... I am just much better in another area... and well, getting paid to proof the point isn't a bad thing... But I am not sure what is the long term implication on this on the future work.

Regards,

Hart

Thats why im kinda sick and amuse by people who think going pro or start charging people is so easy as soon they got their whatever camera. Not looking down on people but just...come on.. :dunno:...
Worse are those people who eagerly throw stones at the photographers whenever something corks up...or out of their expectations. Those very people who intially gave the photographers the freedom to express their artistic realm.
Just because you paid doesn't mean shyt.

The guy who hired him needs to be shot. And also the guy who approved these photos if they think they can't make it. Why blamed the photographer?
This world is much better without these constant whiners. And I bet more than half the whiners here can't do much better than the guy, so perhaps don't talk like you know everything.

The photographer was probably saying with his pictures this..you don't need glamourous photos to win olympics, you need more than that. Just like weddings, nice glamourous photos but empty inside spiritually. It coould very well be his way of expressing that idea.
I don't know what the editors were looking for from him, perhaps photos that win olympics??

Last edited:
Hmm... wat makes you tink so :eek:

looking at it from another view... he might be trying to bring out the fact that even if these people are celebrated athletes, they're still human nonetheless, with imperfections

kei1309 said:
looking at it from another view... he might be trying to bring out the fact that even if these people are celebrated athletes, they're still human nonetheless, with imperfections

No he didn't. He gave an interview later that he was completely unprepared for the shoot as he didn't know he could set up his studio setup for the photos. So he ended up shooting with what was with him in his camera bag.