Who is using Quantum Battery pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensh09

Feb 1, 2005
Tinking of getting 1. Any1 tried before? Was quoted $485 in 1 of the hsop at pennisular plaza....any1 have better lobang?

Using Quantum 1+ Battery pack before, after replace battery cells twice, I DIY a homemade SLA 6V battery pack.

13771DSC_4817.jpg

catchlights said:
Using Quantum 1+ Battery pack before, after replace battery cells twice, I DIY a homemade SLA 6V battery pack.

13771DSC_4817.jpg

Hi Catchlights,

very interesting to see a homemade 6V battery pack. Care to elaborate further on how to DIY one. Always have this idea in mind but just don't know how to start. Me using a Canon 580EX flash.

Is the quantum battery pack generic? As in... can be used for Canon/Nikon/3rd party flash? Or must be for specific make?

newbie here... but quantum battery pack are for speedlights rite??? to charge it faster rite???

if yes, catchlights care to share how to do a DIY one???

This homemade 6V SLA battery pack can use on any hotshoe mount flash that powered by 4 AA batteries (4X1.5V= 6V).

You will need a cable to connect the battery pack to the flash. I using existing quantum module instead of DIY it because of two reasons:
1. I already have the quantum module.
2. Can’t find all suitable components to make it look professional done.

To make the battery pack is very easy, all you need is to have:
  • 1 piece 6V SLA ($13~$20 depend on the brand)
  • 1 battery charger for the 6V SLA (about $25.00)
  • Some wires and connector plugs
  • RCA audio jacks
  • A connector for battery charger
  • A short section of 50mm PVC pipe (cut into half to use as a housing for mounting the RCA audio jacks and the connector for battery charger)
  • Some cable ties (to fastener the PVC housing)
  • A small compact camera pouch to house to battery pack (not shown in picture)
  • Some basic electrical DIY tools and knowledge
f2e1.jpg

There are many discussions about this type of homemade SLA battery pack, you can find it with Google search.

The benefit of using this battery pack is economy, and you only need to charge one battery, charging time is short and with no memory effect, and it can hold the charge for months. The only cons are bulky and heavy.

I been using the set up for many years, it is very reliable, every year just need to replace a new SLA battery.

But nowadays I switch to NiMh batteries because of NiMh 2500mah is very economy now. But will still use SLA battery pack if I don’t enough time to recharge all the NiMh batteries for a few days continuer shoots.

Hope this help.

Very interesting setup! Just curious as to what's the weight of this DIY battery pack?

Is the Quantum batt that unreliable? How come u need to change twice?

Hi Catchlights,

thanks for your detail explainations.

kensh09 said:
Is the Quantum batt that unreliable? How come u need to change twice?
Quantum battery is very good, many professional swear by it and using it in America, but in Singapore, many users facing some kind of battery cells problem, the local agent will service the battery pack for you, but many of the users find that the replacement battery cells does not perform well as compare the brand new set. I do not know why but perhaps many of us are heavy users.

I DIY a homemade 6V SLA battery pack for backup my Quantum 1+, but find out that it out perform the Quantum 1+, (4.5 mah compare to 2.5mah), so I made a switch. Btw I didn’t use the Quantum 2 and the Quantum turbo, so I can’t tell you my comments about these two models.

catchlights said:
Quantum battery is very good, many professional swear by it and using it in America, but in Singapore, many users facing some kind of battery cells problem, the local agent will service the battery pack for you, but many of the users find that the replacement battery cells does not perform well as compare the brand new set. I do not know why but perhaps many of us are heavy users.

I DIY a homemade 6V SLA battery pack for backup my Quantum 1+, but find out that it out perform the Quantum 1+, (4.5 mah compare to 2.5mah), so I made a switch. Btw I didn’t use the Quantum 2 and the Quantum turbo, so I can’t tell you my comments about these two models.

catchlights - any chance of making such batt packs for a fee? :lovegrin:

the only problem is getting the cable connector for the batt pack to flash... :(

thanks for sharing the info, catchlights.

very interesting!!:D

the only thing i don't like about the 1+ is the way the cable sticks out of the battery comparment and the door not closing fully for the 550EX. was wondering how difficult it would be to get the connector to fit into canon's dedicated port at the base of the 550EX. then that would be sweet!!

bowwow said:
thanks for sharing the info, catchlights.

very interesting!!:D

the only thing i don't like about the 1+ is the way the cable sticks out of the battery comparment and the door not closing fully for the 550EX. was wondering how difficult it would be to get the connector to fit into canon's dedicated port at the base of the 550EX. then that would be sweet!!
Quantum Module has a lever for you to secure the dummy battery inside the battery compartment, so when I using it with SB28, and SB80DX, I just leave the battery compartment door open, they do give you a Velcro strip to secure it, but I find it unnecessary, after doing it this way for few years, nothing broken. :sweat: For SB800, I just need to remove the battery compartment door completely.

If you want a battry pack which can plug it at the base of Nikon flash, side of Canon flash, you can’t use Quantum 1+ and it has to be Quantum Turbo, (a high voltage unit, about $650~$700 last known), or using SD8A (for Nikon), CP-E3 (for Canon)

where to get quantum battery pack ar??? n how much???

problem i found with DIY lead acid and lithium battery packs is that their peak current output is not sufficiently high to give good performance. i once tried to DIY a SLA battery pack for my camera but the current draw was too low to even start the cam properly. quantums, on the other hand, has circuitry to pump out that kinda current. i'm those 'use whatever that works' kinda person but sometimes DIY stuffs just dun make the cut.

Clown said:
problem i found with DIY lead acid and lithium battery packs is that their peak current output is not sufficiently high to give good performance. i once tried to DIY a SLA battery pack for my camera but the current draw was too low to even start the cam properly. quantums, on the other hand, has circuitry to pump out that kinda current. i'm those 'use whatever that works' kinda person but sometimes DIY stuffs just dun make the cut.

HI Clown,

Think the batteries comes in Voltages and Amps, like the 6V batteries, they have different amp ratings as different appliance have different loads. Usually the bigger batteries have a larger Max amp rating.

EngHong

enghong17 said:
HI Clown,

Think the batteries comes in Voltages and Amps, like the 6V batteries, they have different amp ratings as different appliance have different loads. Usually the bigger batteries have a larger Max amp rating.

EngHong
well i think max current output depends on battery types rather than sizes, cuz alkalines and NiMH seem to be able to provide a higher current dump when compared to SLA and Li rechargable packs. if u could find a combination other than a quantum pack that can power a S2pro by itself pls let me know.. haha. think i almost given up liao.

Hi Clown,

The batteries i am talking about are those you can find at Sim Lim Tower. The hugh squarish types. They come in 6v/9v/12V and different current ratings like 1.2mAh, 1.8, 2 etc.... Generally the larger the battery the higher the current ratings. Not sure what type of batts those, think Li? Am using it for a project to power high rating motors. Those can power up even the rotating lights you see on the road, so think for S2pro should not be a prob other than the possibility a power spike which may occur.

EngHong

Just realised its called a lead acid cell, not a Li ion batt.

A tread on another forum on such batteries
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Status
Not open for further replies.