Who is the real creator of Katong laksa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parchiao

Deregistered
Jan 2, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, want to know who is the real creator of Katong laksa. :p

some super old man who had the original recipe, his sons are running one of the current katong laksa stalls around

the rest of the stalls, i.e. some woman boss etc, they claim to have received the recipe directly from the ahpeh and is selling the real stuff too...

i dunno man! eventually all taste abt the same bah

original or not... which is the best? understand there're a few in katong.

Which stall is that?

The shop I think is called Original Katong Laksa? :bsmilie:
There was a show on katong laksa on Channel 8 last time ya

Dun really care which tastes good or bad, I just want to know who is the original, or is it a case of the original recipe dying with the old man and what we have now are all derived from the original?

According to the laksa wars reported in the Straits Times (or SUT) before, it was kinda traced back to the two brothers who run the stall in the kopitiam just at the overhead bridge.

I say kinda because there was apparently, some misappropriation of the 'original' label, and the lady with the amazingly smooth skin was somehow or another connected in a business sense with the brothers (can't remember the exact details). Well, when the money rolled in, there was a lot of friction and disagreements and seperate stalls were set up.

If anyone who goes back a bit can remember, there was also a non-descript old woman selling similar stuff in the old, run-down kopi-tiam selling a lot of Nonya kueh closest to the bus stop way before 'Katong Laksa' became famous.

It's a pity the brothers never had the vision to register the name when they first started getting popular. They could be sitting on top of a financial empire renting franchises if they did. Now, there are more 'Katong Laksa' stalls all over the island than there is fungus to infect our lenses.

I say kinda because there was apparently, some misappropriation of the 'original' label, and the lady with the amazingly smooth skin was somehow or another connected in a business sense with the brothers (can't remember the exact details). Well, when the money rolled in, there was a lot of friction and disagreements and seperate stalls were set up.

makes me wonder... so amazingly smooth, how to create friction... :bsmilie:

the original one is katong laksa 328

This is probably closest to what I know.

I have been staying at ceylon road (the exact small street that split the present group of katong laksa stall) for about 4 to 5 yrs during late 1980s to early 1990s.

At that time, there is only 1 katong laksa stall at that corner coffee shop (if u face the groups of stalls & ceylon road, the one on your left). The old uncle doesnt own the coffee shop though, he just rent a stall from the lady coffee shop owner.

The multiple laksa stall only started after I moved out of that area, thru some auntie gossip, I was told that the coffee shop owner has subsequently decided to take back the stall and sell her own laksa (probably after learning the secret and kang hu after years of observation) instead.

The old man then moved to setup a stall at the shop under the overhead bridge. It's probably the smallest one among the various group of laksa stalls over there nowsaday..

So I guess in terms of location of origin, it's the corner coffee shop on the left, but in terms of original creator, it should be the old man (not sure if it's still there at the stall physically though)..

According to the laksa wars reported in the Straits Times (or SUT) before, it was kinda traced back to the two brothers who run the stall in the kopitiam just at the overhead bridge.

If anyone who goes back a bit can remember, there was also a non-descript old woman selling similar stuff in the old, run-down kopi-tiam selling a lot of Nonya kueh closest to the bus stop way before 'Katong Laksa' became famous.

It's a pity the brothers never had the vision to register the name when they first started getting popular. They could be sitting on top of a financial empire renting franchises if they did. Now, there are more 'Katong Laksa' stalls all over the island than there is fungus to infect our lenses.

This is probably closest to what I know.

I have been staying at ceylon road (the exact small street that split the present group of katong laksa stall) for about 4 to 5 yrs during late 1980s to early 1990s.

At that time, there is only 1 katong laksa stall at that corner coffee shop (if u face the groups of stalls & ceylon road, the one on your left). The old uncle doesnt own the coffee shop though, he just rent a stall from the lady coffee shop owner.

The multiple laksa stall only started after I moved out of that area, thru some auntie gossip, I was told that the coffee shop owner has subsequently decided to take back the stall and sell her own laksa (probably after learning the secret and kang hu after years of observation) instead.

The old man then moved to setup a stall at the shop under the overhead bridge. It's probably the smallest one among the various group of laksa stalls over there nowsaday..

So I guess in terms of location of origin, it's the corner coffee shop on the left, but in terms of original creator, it should be the old man (not sure if it's still there at the stall physically though)..

When you say "the shop under the overhead bridge", do you mean literally mean that there is a coffee shop next to the bridge or do you mean the corner coffee shop that is opposite the very original coffee shop?

IIRC, ST reported long time ago, the original recipe "Katong Laksa" the stall is not called "Katong Laksa" but "Marine Parade Laksa"

http://www.makansutra.com/Makanzine/may01/taste_report_laksa.html

49 / 51 Katong Laksa joined the market much later and 328 Katong Laksa is the original location of the stall but not the old man's original recipe.

all this laksa talk makes me hungry.. haven't had laksa for the longest time... *goes out to grab one*

The smaller coffee shop next to the bridge, not the 2 bigger shops facing each other around the corners at the junction of ceylon road.

When you say "the shop under the overhead bridge", do you mean literally mean that there is a coffee shop next to the bridge or do you mean the corner coffee shop that is opposite the very original coffee shop?

It's all crap.. best laksa is from Prima Deli, get from Carrefour, one pack is about $4 can cook for 2-4pax :)

thick bee hoon from any wet market, cockles, fishcake, laksa leave, fresh prawns and bean spouts from your friendly wet market :bsmilie:

Sorry that I cannot contribute to this thread as I do not know the real creator of Katong Laksa. However, I just want to add that the best Katong Laksa is different for different people as we are had different taste preference. Just try a lot of stall and if one works for you, then that will be the best Laksa.

For me, I like Claypot Laksa and the stall name is ZhengShangMei!

Status
Not open for further replies.