Who is liable?

Yappy

May 30, 2004
I was driving and turning left into a main road from a HDB carpark.

A cyclist suddenly appeared and she was moving from left to right.

I almost knocked onto the cyclist..

Who is liable?

Depending i guess. If its a block vision, then not your fault. But nowadays, cyclist also tends to be very careless and just ride their way through thinking that drivers will definitely give way to them. Many are taking drivers for granted.

I wouldn't be surprise its gonna be you even if its not your fault... its usually the person who gets hurt that gets the benefit of doubt, i could be wrong but its ur word against her's... unless some stranger very kind saw the incident and report....

An army mate of mine, car stationary at the traffic lights, a motocyclist knock his side mirror and fell... the mirror also fell off, who fault ??? My army mate wanted to let the matter go but his dad insist to claim from the mototcylist... in the end, the motocyclist counter claim his damage motorcycle, hospital fees, loss of income of him and the pillion etc...

im sure there are many more cases you would heard ppl say...

maybe someone should come out with a product that mount a video camera on our car to record whats happening the last 5mins and use it as evidence...

Last edited:
No case, your fault, even though Cyclist from left to right (I assume wrong direction), you are at fault for not seeing the cyclist when coming out from small road to main road.

yes, unless you want to spend more money to claim your right, else mostly, if you knock people down, you are at fault, 'cos you are operating a dangerous equipment.

That's why i installed a car camera (Fish eye lens :) ) !

Just show to Police what happened.

yes, unless you want to spend more money to claim your right, else mostly, if you knock people down, you are at fault, 'cos you are operating a dangerous equipment.

:bsmilie: what kind of statement is this? cars are not dangerous equipment! the drivers are dangerous people! :bsmilie:

You should always be more careful and take extra precaution when leaving a small road. This is in basic theory i think.

If you hurt someone can you live with your conscience? Or will you think of how to push the blame away?

:bsmilie: what kind of statement is this? cars are not dangerous equipment! the drivers are dangerous people! :bsmilie:

You are right!

Photographer with 300 mm lens onwards are even more dangerous!

yes. imagine the photog getting angry and throwing the lens at someone!

Not to mention, it's also a tripping and head injury hazard for members of public .... when the lens start to Zooooooom out.

I was driving and turning left into a main road from a HDB carpark.

A cyclist suddenly appeared and she was moving from left to right.

I almost knocked onto the cyclist..

Who is liable?

? The cyclist was moving against the direction of the road

It always the "bigger" 1 at fault.. Bike =>motorbike => car

This thread remind me of the overseas official who bang Singaporean at Bukit Panjang ...

IMO it's turning vehicle's fault eventhough the cyclist is changing lane, you need to give signal and make sure the path is clear before you turn in.

I almost hit a cyclist once.
In slow traffic, in the left lane, I was turning left, as I was turning, a cyclist suddenly passes me on the left.
I think it would still have been my fault if I hit him or if he rode into me :(

if a pedestrian and a cyclist got into an accident, it will always be assumed that the cyclist is at fault.

if a cyclist and a motorcyclist got into an accident, it will be assumed that the motorcyclist is at fault.

if a cyclist and a motor vehicle got into an accident, it will always be assumed that the driver is at fault.

So guys, be careful, if you are a driver, and always give way .... unless you can afford a good lawyer!