Who is interested in Sports Photography?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
But either cannot get access to events or in your opinion dont have the gear to capture the event?

Do you intend to do full time if get the chance or hobbyist?

Last edited:
Gimme gear and access i'd gladly do it.
Part time only tho, i don wanna commit ;p

I'm keen. But like TS says...most of the time no access or lacking equipment wise. :(
But if got gear...would do it gladly...at least decently paid like mentioned.

Last edited:
Given the chance - I would surely go for it :)

MEMEMEMEME!!!!

Well, i would say gear and money would not be a problem if you're really interested in it. You can borrow from friends and family and return them after getting paid on assignment....
...but in SINGAPORE?

Singapore like no break for you T.T even sports photogs in US, they have access to madison square gardens, staples center and can even submit their photos to local state newspapers, and thus catch a break to make it big to companies like getty and SI. Not here man.

But either cannot get access to events or in your opinion dont have the gear to capture the event?

Do you intend to do full time if get the chance or hobbyist?

I WANT I WANT I WANT...sick of my present job. ;(Photography skill not mature yet, long way to go.:bsmilie:

I am also a beginner to the business but my guess is if want to cover the big local events, need someone high up on the organising commitee to vouch for you and also a lot of "sales" experience.

Last edited:
i've wanted to take some closed up photos for Li-Ning Singapore open, but dunno how to get the media/photographer pass.

Always had an interest to try out sports photography but...

1DmkIV - Fail
400 f/4 - Fail
Media Pass - Fail
Skills - Think so also Fail

So yeah its back to my routine day job I guess...

Always had an interest to try out sports photography but...

1DmkIV - Fail
400 f/4 - Fail
Media Pass - Fail
Skills - Think so also Fail

So yeah its back to my routine day job I guess...
well think of it this way...your job got you what you wanted???

Just completed a National level sports assignment indoors no less and no flash allowed. believe it when i say that the humble 50mm f/1.8 was more useful then F/4 or even F/2.8 zoom lens unless you are fine with bringing the ISO way up and spending equivalent time in PP.

Last edited:
first thing first. What is the tools required for sports photography? I see the pros all using super tele lenses. Is that a pre-requisite?

I'm still a student so I just follow my school sports teams to their competition to shoot :). Because I wear my school uniform people are often willing to give me good spots to take photos because it's for the school. It's not like I'm doing a paid assignment so it's ok to screw up, plus there are a few matches of different sports during the season so there are plenty of chances to practice and improve, plus I know how shooting different sports require different settings and stuff. And if my shots are good, I think I can try selling them to the newspapers too, never tried that before though. I often shoot with my 50 f1.4 then crop later for indoor sports, for outdoor I can borrow my friends' 75-300 or 70-200, planning to get a 135L though (blazing fast AF FTW).
But I guess that's just for me, and most people on CS are not in school anymore -_-|||. But still, A, B and C division sports matches are open to public and anyone can just come in and shoot, schedule and locations for matches can be found online I think.
Hope this helped :)

first thing first. What is the tools required for sports photography? I see the pros all using super tele lenses. Is that a pre-requisite?

I believe you are a pro when you know what equipment you need for the job at hand. That unfortunately is easier compared to getting accreditation for major sports events.

I had to go through a lot of steps to even shoot an S-league match. For another larger event, it was much easier as i had a recommendation. so it all depends how many people you know and just how well you can negotiate to get the job.

However there comes time when people question your use of the equipment you bring for the event either due to thats all you need or thats all you have. I would know.

Everyone has their own response to that so i wont comment.

Last edited:
I'm still a student so I just follow my school sports teams to their competition to shoot :). Because I wear my school uniform people are often willing to give me good spots to take photos because it's for the school. It's not like I'm doing a paid assignment so it's ok to screw up, plus there are a few matches of different sports during the season so there are plenty of chances to practice and improve, plus I know how shooting different sports require different settings and stuff. And if my shots are good, I think I can try selling them to the newspapers too, never tried that before though. I often shoot with my 50 f1.4 then crop later for indoor sports, for outdoor I can borrow my friends' 75-300 or 70-200, planning to get a 135L though (blazing fast AF FTW).
But I guess that's just for me, and most people on CS are not in school anymore -_-|||. But still, A, B and C division sports matches are open to public and anyone can just come in and shoot, schedule and locations for matches can be found online I think.
Hope this helped :)
I really regret not using school time to kick start my photography journey so looking high and low for sport gigs. Make full use of your time.

Last edited:
Me! I am taking Ultimate frisbee photos now. But sad to say, I do not have the gears:(

Me!!! I'm also lacking in both! Gears and pass. Would love to have a S.League pass with backroom access and ability to set up strobes and over head view remote camera.

My current wish list is 4 D3S with a 400mm on one, Sigma 120-300 on the other, one remote behind goal and one for overhead view if doing basketball or Volleyball!

I'm dreaming of going pro in UK under the work holiday visa scheme after I get a decent degree. Maybe Getty or SkySports. But, it's a far dream! Best is if I could shoot freelance and work on projects rather than full time pro.

Me! I am taking Ultimate frisbee photos now. But sad to say, I do not have the gears:(
Cant say like that one. Usually frisbee is outdoors in daytime so usually there is enough light even with kit lens, i dont really have experience but if its anything like basketball or tennis...advice is dont follow the frisbee but rather predict where it will go and then prefocus there. Frisbee + person in frame makes a more selling photo in my opinion.

If your practice is open, we could have a mini sport shooters gathering for on hand tutorials. see, i am that desperate for sport gigs to practice. :D

Last edited:

Yes, if it's a gig. Would you shoot a wedding without a single flash? (Inclusive of portrait and AD and all)

If the editor wants a clear view of the player, are you gonna use a 18-55 and crop 100%?