Who is interested in Sports Photography?

I had to go through a lot of steps to even shoot an S-league match. For another larger event, it was much easier as i had a recommendation. so it all depends how many people you know and just how well you can negotiate to get the job.
This is rather OT, but I sometimes get to shoot concerts because I know the MC and he wants the photos for his portfolio so he can get me to shoot, then I can watch and take photos of a ticketed concert as well :D

And er ok if you guys want to practice shooting sports, I'll say it again: just do it during the A/B/C div matches, it's free, it's open to everyone, there aren't many people and photographers who block your view. Too bad this year's season is already over, but there's always one next year :D

I know its super hard to get access in sg.:(

But how about other countries such as uk and states? Is it easy to get access there? And is it easy to get access and then after sell your photos to local newspapers?

I know its super hard to get access in sg.:(

But how about other countries such as uk and states? Is it easy to get access there? And is it easy to get access and then after sell your photos to local newspapers?

I read about this on sportshooters. None of them are my experience.

Getting passes in more prolific games are harder. In the Beijing Olympics, there were people who is stil trying to get a pass 2 days before it starts. Getting a credential is fairly easy everywhere if you have a press backing. All you need is a press letter from a known press agency and voila.

If you can get into EPL or NBA or NLB, half the time you are shooting for a agency, unless you are hired to shoot a specific person for himself or magazine. Usually agencies have 2-3 photographers in one game. The person who gets his card to the runner first and fits the format of the story gets paid. I suggest you go search on youtube 'harry how sports photography'

well think of it this way...your job got you what you wanted???

Actually now that you mention it, my job although initially sounded like your usual office IT job, turned out to be abit more interesting then expected especially with regards to my photography hobby. In the sense that while I am still doing IT at the core, due to the nature of the company I get lots of exposure to the retail and fashion industry.

Even got a chance to help take photos for a mini fashion preview event for the company's internal newsletter (although I ended up taking more of the socialites at the photowall then the event itself) and learnt quite a bit from the ICON photog who was covering the event.

Of cos I still wanna try sports photography one day as all these atas events are not really my cup of tea, I guess in some way I got what I wanted and abit more extra. :D

Just completed a National level sports assignment indoors no less and no flash allowed. believe it when i say that the humble 50mm f/1.8 was more useful then F/4 or even F/2.8 zoom lens unless you are fine with bringing the ISO way up and spending equivalent time in PP.

I always had the impression that for sports, usually if its indoor or those large playing field is no flash one as either the flash will distract the players or the players are so far (aka soccer) no point having flash?

Thats why photogs would go for fast zooms and high iso performance or something? Just a wild guess since I never got a chance to interact and ask the pros about this...

I want to give it a go - but first... I must have the Nikon 70-200 VRII... :bsmilie: otherwise, no go!

offer closed.

Last edited:
For those interested,

Non Ticketed Free Admission Events for SYOG 2010

Cycling 18/08/2010 1000hr Junior Men Time Trial and Final Tampines Ave 9

Cycling 22/08/2010 0900hr Junior Women Time Trial and Final The Float @Marina Bay

Cycling 22/08/2010 0900hr Road Race Men Final The Float @Marina Bay

Sailing 17/18/20/21/23/24 Aug 2010 1100hr Boys/Girls Prelim National Sailing Centre

Sailing 25 Aug 2010 1200hr Boys/Girls Final National Sailing Centre

Triathalon 15/8/2010 0900hr Women Final East Coast Park

Triathalon 16/8/2010 0900hr Men Final East Coast Park

Triathalon 19/8/2010 0900hr Mixed Final East Coast Park

For those interested,

Non Ticketed Free Admission Events for SYOG 2010

Cycling 18/08/2010 1000hr Junior Men Time Trial and Final Tampines Ave 9

Cycling 22/08/2010 0900hr Junior Women Time Trial and Final The Float @Marina Bay

Cycling 22/08/2010 0900hr Road Race Men Final The Float @Marina Bay

Sailing 17/18/20/21/23/24 Aug 2010 1100hr Boys/Girls Prelim National Sailing Centre

Sailing 25 Aug 2010 1200hr Boys/Girls Final National Sailing Centre

Triathalon 15/8/2010 0900hr Women Final East Coast Park

Triathalon 16/8/2010 0900hr Men Final East Coast Park

Triathalon 19/8/2010 0900hr Mixed Final East Coast Park

These are good opportunities. :thumbsup:

I would caution against the sailing events primarily because it's generally hard to get good shore based images. Cycling time trials can be quite decent because you can take a more considered approach to your photography, while the road race and triathlons are more off the cuff but obviously give you the opportunity for working with bunches of athletes.

Coming up next is the Olympic Torch relay. Look out for it.

http://www.singapore2010.sg/public/...apore_journey_of_the_youth_olympic_flame.html

here is the list of torchbearers, route and timings. http://www.singapore2010.sg/public/sg2010/en/en_youth_olympic_flame/en_singapore_leg_intro.html

i may get #$%^&* for this but Yelena Isinbayeva is gonna be in Singapore to carry the YOG Torch running her relay on the 13 Aug along Orchard Road at 3.40pm!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yelena_Isinbayeva

Last edited:
The 1st ever Youth Olympic Games 3 on 3 Basketball Competition will be held at *SCAPE from 15 - 23 August 2010. Competition schedule will be as below:

9am - 1pm (15 August)
9am - 4pm (21 August)
9am - 4pm (22 August)

no idea how the arrangement is like at current time since the area is so open to the public.

Last edited:
for ticket holders who intend to bring dslr system, understand that its possible there is no place/locker to keep the dslr at the venue so do plan ahead.

Today is sailing...a non-ticketed event but as above have said, going to need some serious telephoto range.

if the weather holds...this is one event the Bigma can work quite well.

buried deep inside official SYOG website -

Schedule/Results
Thats not the medal tally...its simply a record of medal events available + a .xml of the day results.

if just want the lowdown on how many medals each country has by gold/silver/bronze/total, my link is easier to see. eg, as of now SG has 1 medal....China has 8 medals and so on.

Last edited:
offer closed/

Last edited: