Who here still uses a photographer's vest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Is it useful? What do u usually put inside?

I thot with digital, there is less need bcos u dun change films anymore... Or are there any other things u find it useful to put inside?

I still use it occassionaly, particularily when I have need to change lenses often and don't want to have lug my whole bag while I move around. I keep the different lenses in the bigger pockets + blower in a small pocket, flash heads, etc - basically it's a wearable bag.

cyber_m0nkey said:
I still use it occassionaly, particularily when I have need to change lenses often and don't want to have lug my whole bag while I move around. I keep the different lenses in the bigger pockets + blower in a small pocket, flash heads, etc - basically it's a wearable bag.

Oh... so the vest can store even lenses? Pardon my ignorance.... :embrass: A standard f/4 wide angle zoom should be no prob in terms of size n weight?

David said:
Oh... so the vest can store even lenses? Pardon my ignorance.... :embrass: A standard f/4 wide angle zoom should be no prob in terms of size n weight?

Yup! should be no problem. I can even store zoom lenses at the back compartment so the lens will be resting on your back.

but i like the newswear chestvest... planning to get that 1... but exp la ...

Thanks guys... So u all use it for assignments like weddings?

I wouldn't recommend wearing a vest for a wedding - you should wear appropriate clothes to blend in. Vest's usually are worn for outdoor events.

saw photographers' wearing vest at during wedding dinner, looks pro:thumbsup: , up to individual_ thing.

STEV said:
saw photographers' wearing vest at during wedding dinner, looks pro:thumbsup: , up to individual_ thing.

Are you talking about a 3-piece suit type vest or photography vest? Wearing a photog vest at a sporting event is pro, weaaring one at an outdoor model shoot is pro, wearing one while on a commercial shoot is pro, wearing one at a wedding is IMHO is the height of rudness and very unprofessional - getting good candids at a wedding is hard enough, but making yourself stand out like a sore thumb is just foolish. Most seasoned pro wedding photographers will not be changing lenses very pften - they will carry two bodies, with either two zooms or one zoom and one fast prime for available light shots.

I wear photovest when I am taking plane... the pockets are useful... can put everything and when going through the security checks, i just take off my vest and pass it thru the Xray machine... no need to empty my pockets... some airports in US have super sensitive x-ray machines which will even beep when you have 1 coin in your pocket...:bsmilie:

Hi cyber monkey,

I'm glad u considered the importance of observing proper dressing in weddings. I've been to many and I'm sad to say I've not encountered any photog here so far who are properly dressed. At best, u often see them in polo T (no good) or occassionally, short-sleeved shirt (just barely acceptable IMHO). I feel long-sleeve is better and if possible, a tie will complete it very well. But none I've seen in so many years.

I know in the US, the photog will usually dress up like the guests, jacket, tie and everything. Ok different culture. But surely not in T-shirts and sometimes jeans which I see more often here!

I guess photogs here are not as respected as those in some other countries... :( :dunno:

David said:
Hi cyber monkey,

I'm glad u considered the importance of observing proper dressing in weddings. I've been to many and I'm sad to say I've not encountered any photog here so far who are properly dressed. At best, u often see them in polo T (no good) or occassionally, short-sleeved shirt (just barely acceptable IMHO). I feel long-sleeve is better and if possible, a tie will complete it very well. But none I've seen in so many years.

I know in the US, the photog will usually dress up like the guests, jacket, tie and everything. Ok different culture. But surely not in T-shirts and sometimes jeans which I see more often here!

I guess photogs here are not as respected as those in some other countries... :( :dunno:

err, even guests wear polo shirt lay, i think min polo shirt and jeans is dressing up like the guest in singapore. just like you mention US, the photog will usually dress up like the guests, jacket, tie and everything.

You will also noticed that quite a number of older (man) folks in Hong Kong wearing this kind of vest too.:) Don't think most of them are photographers. But it's really comes in handy when you wears one.:)

denniskee said:
err, even guests wear polo shirt lay, i think min polo shirt and jeans is dressing up like the guest in singapore. just like you mention US, the photog will usually dress up like the guests, jacket, tie and everything.
i do wear a jacket over a shirt just to blend in the occassion n crowd... didn't wore a tie as i will get really sweaty running ard.
:bsmilie:

i like to keep media pass, wallet n hp in the big n small pockets, spare memory card, blower, lens pen n batteries too.

any lens smaller than 70-200 should be able to fit inside the largest pocket of a vest.

i got a few vest from my Thailand Trips.. and they are cheap.. i think about 350Bht = SGD15... I use it for events and even when i'm out for Macro.. its free me from the bags.. and i puts things i needs, like lense, blower, filter, batteries, HDDs, etc..

lol have a fren who uses the vest cuz it looks professional =) hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.