Who have resisted the DSLR temptation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterfly

Sep 9, 2002
Visit site
With the introduction of entry level DSLRs like 300D n D70, many have flocked to the world of DSLRs. For those who can afford but have yet to make the move, may I know why?

Also try to avoid statement like "It is the photographer, not the camera", etc kind of statement. We have seen many pple here not practising what they preached. :D

I love the smell of negatives in the morning... it smells like nostalgia.

I am taking "wait & see" approach. But the temptation is strong.

i like doing it the traditional way,shoot-->process--->print
i get *high*producing images i like using a totally manual camera and D&P all by myself.
Digital SLR more like a toy to me..

Very interesting viewpoints. Keep them coming.

DSLR more suited for event covering :think:

I enjoy the fact that I can take pictures without bothering whether I have enough battery or not. My first DSLR: When Batteries run for 2 days worth of shoot even in cold (in DSLR days i.e. few thousand shots) + High quality Sensor DSLR < 1000$ :)

dslr a bit bulky 4 street photography lehz...

mebbe when it's smaller, lighter, cheaper! :bsmilie:

Main thing for me that still doesn't work well is the black and white printing which is lowsy if you want to have all the shades of grey. Nothing inherent to the cameras perse (although I am not sure what the latitude is of these CCD's or CMOS), but it more a printing problem. Anyway, manual camera still works fine for me, no need to change. If something still works fine, and give resultsthat you want, why should one change?

Hong Sien

I am not that serious yet to go into DSLR. And My Sony F707 is good enough for my needs.

Anyway, I don't think i will drop $3k for a camera, thats just crazy, I've got other commitments to think about :)
:think: :D

Sorry. Digital for my personal application is a waste of time.
Megapix on the monitor is still 75dpi base on the display pixel, nothing abt the image resolution for printing. I mean on screen. Post prosessing to me is a waste of time, you lost the moment of true when it has been digitally enhanced. Seeing on screen is for me is a waste of time since all our display are calibrated differently. Printing digital on paper is a waste of time since all lab print differently and hard to get exactly what you want everytime.

For display online and make to print to me is just for samples so I never demand too much for them Therefore I never invest anything on digital gear or time. If the pictures are good, it is good enuf. That is why postcard, postal even printed on poor paper or magazine resolution is good enuf.

For the real thing, loupe and lightbox is the only thing that meet what I want, not even a projected slide.

Again, the above are for -> ME.

Cat is better or dog
Red wine better then white wine
canon better then nikon

you get tones of different ans each time u ask. so they are meaningless.
if non-digital works for u, then who cares ;)

i am using Fuji s602.

Look at those great pictures taken by Wolfgang with his s602, it made me to realise that, it is my skills of which needs an upgrade rather than the camera itself.

It is the photographer, not the camera that makes the shot.. so why are you concerned about technology?

HAHA! Ok was just kidding :p I'm upgrade from my EOS 300, to viola, EOS 30, instead of the 300D.. haha.. Firstly was because of the money... though i can easily afford it.. i thought i might still wanna stick to the film route first... Guess one of my consideration is that digital photos dun have "soul".. It's just a feeling..

Also, like many have pointed out before.. digital technology moves too fast.. so maybe in a year or two.. when 6mp consumer Dslr drops to about 1k, i'd switch to dslr then.. but then again, i might love my EOS 30 too much.. haha :D

For me a DSLR is a waste of money. Why on earth would I spend $2.5K on a 10D when I can get the same level of control and performance (maybe better) on my $500 film SLR? I'm surely not doing $2k worth of (film+processing+prints). Also, I can sell my film SLR at 2/3rds of its price or more if I want to upgrade. Judging by the prices of used D30/D60's the 10D will be worth very little in a couple of years, whereas my film body won't go down by too many dollars.

My favourite 24mm lens is really a 24mm wide lens, not a 38mm semi-wide. On a DSLR I'd have to get a big fat expensive lens to go wide.

I've been shooting with this single set of batteries for the past 8 months, and I'm really wondering when it's going to die. My spare batteries are gathering dust. Don't need to worry when the batteries are going to die.

One big problem is dust. Until there's a practical solution for that I'm staying far away. I've seen some people really mess up their sensors by cleaning them improperly.

The biggest problem is time. I stare at a computer the whole day, and the last thing I want to do is come back after a shoot and stare at the screen for another 6 hours, doing PS on all my images, tweaking them, etc. Let the lab do it for me. Time is money. I'd rather spend it at the lab than screw up my eyesight and waste time.

For me, I'd love to get my hands on a DSLR. But even with the D70 and 300D, although comparatively cheap, at $1.8k it's still a hefty amount to fork out. I'll wait for early next year before I seriously consider getting a DSLR.

DSLRs are all to big 'cause the stupidly want to hook lenses intended for 35mm film onto digital sensors some times half that size.

Might go 4/3rds if that ever takes off.

I also don't object to EVFs. I like the idea of a WYSIYG view finder.

I seem to recall some one once suggesting a wireless EVF that you could clip onto a set of glasses. Now that could be 'interesting'.

for me...its all about feelin la...getting another film body asap....summore for my digital needs my normal olympus C300 more than enough....

when i click the shutter of my friends digital...got no sensation le...but when i use film i feel like i am connected to the camera in some way...

Status
Not open for further replies.