Who has switched to full frame?

iguoh

Oct 23, 2005
With so many options now for full frame mirrorless cameras, many of them in the same price range as higher-end micro four-thirds cameras, I am seriously considering getting either the Nikon Z6 or the Sony A7M3.

The main reason why I switched from a full frame DSLR to m43 was because of size and weight but it seems both Olympus and Panasonic are only interested in making bigger and bigger bodies and lenses which to me defeats the purpose. Has anyone made the switch already?

I made a tentative switch, got an A73. While the Sony A73 may be small body, but the lenses are not. So far, I have not got too much native FE lenses yet. I am using my Canon lenses through the Sigma MC11 and Nikon lenses through the Commlite converters..

Z6 not sure, but I went to the Nikon show at Plaza Singapura and looked at the Z7 body. Hmm.. the impression is that it is slightly shorter than D850, but the width and depth not really that much smaller.

I am using a GX9 now and also still have my old EM-5. My other consideration is to get a EM-1mk2 and the 12-100 for the ultimate travel combo since most of photography is done when I travel. Price wise, it is about the same as getting a Z6 with the 24-70 kit lens. Weight wise they are also about the same.

I started with the E-PL3 and eventually got the Olympus M,Zuiko PRO lenses. m43 is a good travel option but I found it difficult to be used in low light without good additional light, Even with the recent f/1,2 primes from Olympus and Voigtlander. I like Olympus because of their innovation and thinking of getting the EM1-mark II

End up I went back to DSLR few years back and compromise on the lens department (f/1,4-> f/2 primes; f/2,8 -> f/4 zooms, etc)
Now that the Sony, Nikon, Canon has released Mirrorless full frame. Next upcoming is the Panasonic-Leica-Sigma ....... full frame......

After using a large variety of bodies, I have found that for me I like using cameras of a minimum size with adequate grip and direct controls that can be located by feel. Bonus points if everything is accessible with just the right hand.
So to me, body size relates more to ergonomics and UI and less to sensor format.
But where the overall kit makes a difference are in the lenses.
Here many m43 lenses have an advantage. I don’t mean equivalent lenses to FF nor do I need it to be because there’s no free lunch when it comes to light gathering. By the same token, there are no equivalent lenses in FF to some of the gems in m43 that are of the same quality.
I believe there are ‘sweet ranges’ to every format. That’s not to say there aren’t lenses outside of that zone but price and size starts to get disproportionately big. So as long as you’re happy with the shooting envelope of some of these lenses in their ‘sweet zone’, I think m43’s a very compelling and matured format and very good choice for a lot of people.
FWIW, I have recently purchased further into m43 but still carry a FF DSLR kit. My m43 kit has a much larger focal length range and is much lighter, but my FF kit has better light gathering capabilities.

Thanks for your comments @swifty. I agree with you mostly which is why I need to think carefully. No point getting onboard FF mirrorless and find it too heavy to bring around. Maybe I should just get the 12-100mm lens and use it with my existing bodies first. I am not sure if it will balance well though.

I am still keeping my M43 stuff. Just brought my PL 100-400 out for a walk last week. Sure felt light though, every thing fits into a messenger bag.

I am with Swifty in that sense, keeping a balance of M43 and FF. Incidentally, I also have a small Nikon set - D750 with just the 24-120 kit, 200-500.

I finally tried the Z6 with 24-70 kit lens at the shop. My impression is that it feels very much like a DSLR size and weight wise. My conclusion is to stay with m43. I bought myself grip for my GX9 and may get the G9 or EM-1mk2. I do like the feel of the G9 though it is a little big.

I haven't move to FF permanently, it's always a short stint, sometimes for fulfilling the greed of having shallow DOF, sometimes the DR. But certainly when traveling nothing beats the combi of EM1.2 + 12-100 in that aspect, nor any camera that has the best Live features (Bulb, time/ composite) or IBIS. the weight/size advantage is even more differentiated between FF & m43 when it's fast tele/zoom. or when you need something small for street photography like Pen F.
So still sticking with m43 for a long long time :)

Reactions: swifty
I haven't move to FF permanently, it's always a short stint, sometimes for fulfilling the greed of having shallow DOF, sometimes the DR.
Hey LP, I didn’t know you were dabbling in FF :)
Slightly off topic but since we’re talking mirrorless and FF and the op uses Panasonic, any word on the S1/R?
I know they are much larger bodies (for a mirrorless) but I’m still keen to check it out.

I finally tried the Z6 with 24-70 kit lens at the shop. My impression is that it feels very much like a DSLR size and weight wise. My conclusion is to stay with m43. I bought myself grip for my GX9 and may get the G9 or EM-1mk2. I do like the feel of the G9 though it is a little big.
One thing great about Japan is most large camera stores have just about every camera bodies and lenses available for testing, especially side by side and not just behind a counter where you have to ask to view.
When I was there I got to try out the various bodies and to my surprise, the GH5/s fitted my hands the best. It was like someone gave me some clay and said “hold this” and they made the grip out of the resultant mould.
The G9 wasn’t far behind.
I know there are lots of pictures online these days but nothing beats a ‘live’ test, as you did.

Reactions: bousozoku
Hey LP, I didn’t know you were dabbling in FF :)
Slightly off topic but since we’re talking mirrorless and FF and the op uses Panasonic, any word on the S1/R?
I know they are much larger bodies (for a mirrorless) but I’m still keen to check it out.

Ya tried the a7r2 abit, though I think the a7iii is great body, but then as a system I still prefer m43. Panasonic locally is very quiet these days, I'll ask about that, also interested about the capabilities of their new FF.

One thing great about Japan is most large camera stores have just about every camera bodies and lenses available for testing, especially side by side and not just behind a counter where you have to ask to view.
When I was there I got to try out the various bodies and to my surprise, the GH5/s fitted my hands the best. It was like someone gave me some clay and said “hold this” and they made the grip out of the resultant mould.
The G9 wasn’t far behind.
I know there are lots of pictures online these days but nothing beats a ‘live’ test, as you did.

I did exactly that. I was just in Tokyo and tested the Z6, A7iii and others at Yodobashi. Prices there are really good compared with here, especially after the tax exemptions. That was where I got myself the GX9 grip as Panasonic doesn't even bring them in here. I still have my old EM5M1 but lens wise I am down to just one Olympus lens versus six Panasonic lenses. With the grip, the GX9 handling is much better and together with the PL15 and PL25, it makes a poor man's Leica!