• XENNEC Camera Bags GIVE AWAY - SHARE & TAG your Friend to WIN one XENNEC Stylish bags. Visit this thread thread for more information.

Who has switched to full frame?

Oct 23, 2005
With so many options now for full frame mirrorless cameras, many of them in the same price range as higher-end micro four-thirds cameras, I am seriously considering getting either the Nikon Z6 or the Sony A7M3.

The main reason why I switched from a full frame DSLR to m43 was because of size and weight but it seems both Olympus and Panasonic are only interested in making bigger and bigger bodies and lenses which to me defeats the purpose. Has anyone made the switch already?

skf

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
I made a tentative switch, got an A73. While the Sony A73 may be small body, but the lenses are not. So far, I have not got too much native FE lenses yet. I am using my Canon lenses through the Sigma MC11 and Nikon lenses through the Commlite converters..

Z6 not sure, but I went to the Nikon show at Plaza Singapura and looked at the Z7 body. Hmm.. the impression is that it is slightly shorter than D850, but the width and depth not really that much smaller.

Oct 23, 2005
I am using a GX9 now and also still have my old EM-5. My other consideration is to get a EM-1mk2 and the 12-100 for the ultimate travel combo since most of photography is done when I travel. Price wise, it is about the same as getting a Z6 with the 24-70 kit lens. Weight wise they are also about the same.

Ah Keong

Dec 3, 2014
North
I started with the E-PL3 and eventually got the Olympus M,Zuiko PRO lenses. m43 is a good travel option but I found it difficult to be used in low light without good additional light, Even with the recent f/1,2 primes from Olympus and Voigtlander. I like Olympus because of their innovation and thinking of getting the EM1-mark II

End up I went back to DSLR few years back and compromise on the lens department (f/1,4-> f/2 primes; f/2,8 -> f/4 zooms, etc)
Now that the Sony, Nikon, Canon has released Mirrorless full frame. Next upcoming is the Panasonic-Leica-Sigma ....... full frame......

After using a large variety of bodies, I have found that for me I like using cameras of a minimum size with adequate grip and direct controls that can be located by feel. Bonus points if everything is accessible with just the right hand.
So to me, body size relates more to ergonomics and UI and less to sensor format.
But where the overall kit makes a difference are in the lenses.
Here many m43 lenses have an advantage. I don’t mean equivalent lenses to FF nor do I need it to be because there’s no free lunch when it comes to light gathering. By the same token, there are no equivalent lenses in FF to some of the gems in m43 that are of the same quality.
I believe there are ‘sweet ranges’ to every format. That’s not to say there aren’t lenses outside of that zone but price and size starts to get disproportionately big. So as long as you’re happy with the shooting envelope of some of these lenses in their ‘sweet zone’, I think m43’s a very compelling and matured format and very good choice for a lot of people.
FWIW, I have recently purchased further into m43 but still carry a FF DSLR kit. My m43 kit has a much larger focal length range and is much lighter, but my FF kit has better light gathering capabilities.

Oct 23, 2005
Thanks for your comments @swifty. I agree with you mostly which is why I need to think carefully. No point getting onboard FF mirrorless and find it too heavy to bring around. Maybe I should just get the 12-100mm lens and use it with my existing bodies first. I am not sure if it will balance well though.

skf

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
I am still keeping my M43 stuff. Just brought my PL 100-400 out for a walk last week. Sure felt light though, every thing fits into a messenger bag.

I am with Swifty in that sense, keeping a balance of M43 and FF. Incidentally, I also have a small Nikon set - D750 with just the 24-120 kit, 200-500.

Top Bottom