Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

getright

Oct 14, 2009
Can I know who does not use a dry cabinet/ dry box here?

Any effect on your camera?
Is it necessary to use one?

Who doesn't use a dry cabinet?

I would include another statement, what is the environmental condition or place that you store the camera and lense.

Assuming here means SIN where overall humidity is above the storage %, any difference in usage and environmental factors between 2 owners can mean having a mushroom farm instead of vegetable.

I dun use.

But i am newbie.

I don't. I just leave it in the locker of my office. Free aircondition. But i guess if you use your camera regularly, like go out shooting every 2-3 days, you dont really need a dry cabinet.
Though i do feel that having one gives the person a peace of mind.

please search past postings on these issue, the answer is clear and simple.
if you think is not necessary, just do what you please, nobody is twisting your arms for not getting one, it is YOUR camera and lenses anyway.

If your camera is always in an aircon enviroment, you don't need a dry box/cabinate.

for my peace of mind...yes i use dry cabi...better to be safe than sorry...:cool:

:gbounce:

I don't. I just leave it in the locker of my office. Free aircondition. But i guess if you use your camera regularly, like go out shooting every 2-3 days, you dont really need a dry cabinet.
Though i do feel that having one gives the person a peace of mind.
how many people can, afford, willing to go out and do shooting every 2-3 days persistently? be realistic.

there have been a few folks here who ask the same kind of question, n the purpose as i can see is to gather some peace of mind about trying to save the money from buying a dry cabinet...

i think the answer is simple... it is NOT necessary to use a dry cabinet, it's not compulsory. it has no effect on how well ur camera functions. BUT u run a bigger risk of fungus growth on ur lenses.

as advice by a friend of mine, i should use dry cabinet to protect the gear from fungus as the fungus will only start visible after 2nd year... air-con no air-con also some one.. need to get one... ;)

Fungus prefer dark, wet, static environment to flourish..

Using the camera introduce movement, which discourage fungus settlement.

Using camera in the day also exposes the lens to UV light, which is disliked by fungus.

So essentially, usage discourages the growth of fungus, althou it does not necessarily prevents it.

What's the reason?

If you bought expensive camera equipment like $1500 - $2000, it does not make sense to risk getting fungus by saving ~$100 for not buying a dry cabinet.

In Singapore with high relative humidity of ~80%, even dry box is not very effective over time. The rubber seal at cover of dry box gets weaken and humidity leaks. Some people learned the hard way, eventually buy cabinet until the mushrooms start to show in lens, but too late. :D

Fungus prefer dark, wet, static environment to flourish..

Using the camera introduce movement, which discourage fungus settlement.

Using camera in the day also exposes the lens to UV light, which is disliked by fungus.

So essentially, usage discourages the growth of fungus, althou it does not necessarily prevents it.

Thanks. I have a dry cabinet and I use my camera very often, at least for now, so my camera and the lenses pretty safe. :bsmilie:

this is something that i always want to ask. UV kills fungus right? UV filter blocks UV right? So if you use an UV filter you have higher chance of getting your lens infected by fungus?

errrr it doesnt work like that. Putting a UV filter does not increase your chances of fungus infection. Just get the dry box!!! digicab does home delivery some more

I'm already using a dry cabinet for years already. ;)

what i'm trying to say is something that i read from an online source sometime ago. I saw an article regarding someone trying to totally kill the fungus in a lens that is already infected. He wrapped the base with aluminium foil and sun the lens for 3-4 weeks. (I will try to see if i can still find the article)

If he were to modify his experiment in such a way that there is an UV filter blocking the front element, effectively there will be no UV light entering the lens. Hence after 4 weeks nothing will be acheived? :dunno:

anyway, for those who havent had a dry cabinet, just buy one. Its not too expensive.;p

Can fungus spread in a dry cabinet?

i dont...- i use dry box...keke

Status
Not open for further replies.