Who dosen't use dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I know who does not use a dry cabinet/ dry box here?

Any effect on your camera?
Is it necessary to use one?

not nexcessary to use a dry cabinet. Does u sees your favourite shop stores the lens and bodies they are selling to you in dry cabinets. Do they transfer them to the dry cabinets before they close the business down at the end of the days when their buidling airconditioner is turned off? Do they allow potential customer to bring their lens and bodies out to air it ? Does these then grow fungi on them ?

So bottom line of the business is : no need dry cabinet unless u store your lens and bodies in your bathroom.

Ok, kiwitan has a point.

But, testing out for few mins. versus bringing the lens out for hours for shooting in moisture-filled environment after rain is not the same. Moisture gets trapped inside, and fungus loves it.

Sure, at shops there is AC morning until night time. Who leaves the AC on all day at home like in the malls?

First hand experience when I was newbie, I left one lens stored in dry box at home. But got fungus after some months. During that time I've taken it outdoor in high humidity for shoots of course. Always store back in dry box, still fungus managed to get in. Old lenses are more likely to get fungus.

will fungus spear in the dry cabinet? the truth is fungus spore exist everywhere, most probably already land your gears once you unpack the camera, if not, also soon or later, so you keep your gear in a dry environment to deter it from blooming.

camera stores don't need to keep the camera in dry cabinet, reason is simple, their stores have air con switch on for more than 12 hours a day, beside, all the camera and lenses turn over are so fast, you guys keep complaining some camera and lenses always no stock right?

not nexcessary to use a dry cabinet. Does u sees your favourite shop stores the lens and bodies they are selling to you in dry cabinets. Do they transfer them to the dry cabinets before they close the business down at the end of the days when their buidling airconditioner is turned off? Do they allow potential customer to bring their lens and bodies out to air it ? Does these then grow fungi on them ?

So bottom line of the business is : no need dry cabinet unless u store your lens and bodies in your bathroom.

so really don't need??
can just store in my camera bag with lens cap on?

too many ppl saying different things..confused:think:

so really don't need??

if u just dun wanna spend the money....the cheapest way...get a ziplock bag with silca gel inside.....its the same logi as a dry box...and much much cheaper....

so really don't need??

fungus clearing for lens and camera will cost more than $150.00, which is not cover by warranty, and it does not guarantee the fungus will not come back again.

the smallest size dry cabinet only cost around $130.00, can last you for many years, each month cost less than a few dollars on electricity. (5W only)

the answer is so simple.

No need to get confused. As expected initially, the actual environmental condition that "you" are having is the most important. Referencing is never accurate. Old and new furniture (house too) makes a diff too.

Fungus like mushroom thrive when there is a period of "consistent" favourable environment. You don't see mushroom popping around all year and suddenly after a 3 full rainy days, they somewhat appears overnight. So when your equipment is expose to wet/dry, cold/hot, light/dark inconsistently, fungus won't get the signal to pop.

Office aircondition does not mean no fungus, just that lower temp and dryer air discourage fungus (the signal to pop). But a poorly maintained and cirulation aircon will still cause mushroom. Very old office are prone to such problem.

Shops don't need to keep their set is bec the aircon keep them dry, turn off the main bldg aircon for 1month and you see what will happen. If you rub your perspiration and your own hair on the rubber and wrap it back into the plastic bag and box, leave it untouch for months, pops.

The material used to store in important too. If you stash your camera in your exercise bag with sweaty shirts and socks, you will get fungus whether you like it or not. Bec skin flakes and persperation are vitamins for fungus.

Why does your wallet smells funny, besides body and money odor, fungus smell too, just that you cannot see.

so really don't need??

In humid country like Singapore.. Those who don't care about their photography equipments doesn't use a dry cabinet :sticktong

Just to share, I don't use a dry box but I did bought a "lock and lock" box and silicon beads (once the beads change color, I will replace then) for my camera and lens. Perhaps a cheaper way instead of dry box? I use it to store my camera body and 2 lens. ;p

Fungus doesn't seem to pop in compact camera lens. Wonder why :think:

In humid country like Singapore.. Those who don't care about their photography equipments doesn't use a dry cabinet :sticktong
many people give up photography as a hobby within one or two years, so does not really bother how are the camera and lenses be when the interest is gone.

this has being discuss and discuss countless time, let me summarize it again.

average newbies spend $1500.00 on a new DSLR set

a small size dry cabinet is cost about $130.00, that is less than 10% of what the gear cost.

without proper protection, in SG climate, camera and lenses will get fungus infected within 3 months.

if you use your camera very often, less changes for fungus to glow, but you can't always have to opportunities to use your camera every two to three days, even you do, but also won't be able to do this for one year, two years or even longer.

and the cost of clearing fungus on lenses and camera is more than $150. this is not cover by warranty, and it does not guarantee fungus will not happen again.

once your camera and lenses get fungus, can be sure you will kiss all your saving from not getting dry cabinet goodbye.

in the end, you will still go out and buy a dry cabinet, after you have collected your camera back from service center.

lens are so tiny, and you can only see from the front, you won't notice if there is any fungus.

Haha... funny people...

If you need to get a dry cabinet then go get one. If too expensive for your taste then don't buy it. Get a cheaper alternative if die die must have. If fungus pop...they will pop no matter where you put them. I have a 30 year old Nikon F4 and there is no fungus attack. I never believed in dry cabinet anyway.

At the end of the day it is how we treat the camera. Just a hint: aircon filter is fungus laden.

Haha... funny people...

If you need to get a dry cabinet then go get one. If too expensive for your taste then don't buy it. Get a cheaper alternative if die die must have. If fungus pop...they will pop no matter where you put them. I have a 30 year old Nikon F4 and there is no fungus attack. I never believed in dry cabinet anyway.

At the end of the day it is how we treat the camera. Just a hint: aircon filter is fungus laden.
impressive, maybe you can share more of your secret of keeping fungus away beside not putting camera in a aircon room or regular clearing air con filter. that will be great help to many others.

btw, this year is only 2009, have to wait another 9 years for the Nikon F4 to be 30 years old.

Its like eating healthy food with regular exercise vs eating unhealthy food and being a couch potato and not exercising. Which body last longer? Its your hard earn money to get the equipments. Whatever box you use, shoe box, wooden box, freezer box, toy box, chocolate box, you have to take care of your baby. :cool: So draw your own conclusion.

Just to share, I don't use a dry box but I did bought a "lock and lock" box and silicon beads (once the beads change color, I will replace then) for my camera and lens. Perhaps a cheaper way instead of dry box? I use it to store my camera body and 2 lens. ;p

same here.. the reason y i dun use dry cabinet is because, my room is so small.. where got space to put a dry cabinet ! Wait till i move to my own house... :dunno:

I don't use dry cabinet. but i use Thirsty Hippo inside my small cabinet. I wonder does my way of doing works? cox i only got 3 lenses n a body.. pls advice.. ;)

If you don't think of expandaing your system, just 1 body & 1 lens, a small box will do. I keep mine > 1 body, 2 lenses, 2 flash & 1 bino in a Lock Lock box with with a rechargeable dehumidifier. That saves me lots of space. But if you think of expanding & you own expensive gears, go for a dry cabinet. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.