Who DARES shoot lightning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodie_tan

May 19, 2004
Yishun
www.insing.com
Haha...it's kinda of strange as to why I'm asking this, but this question has been lingering in my mind for a long time.(Saw a winning shot of a thunder across a purple sky in Pop Photography last year) Since the rainy season is here, I was thinking of capturing thunderbolts bolting across the sinister dark sky. However, from the magazine, it's kinda of risky. Any suggestions?

jodie_tan said:
Haha...it's kinda of strange as to why I'm asking this, but this question has been lingering in my mind for a long time.(Saw a winning shot of a thunder across a purple sky in Pop Photography last year) Since the rainy season is here, I was thinking of capturing thunderbolts bolting across the sinister dark sky. However, from the magazine, it's kinda of risky. Any suggestions?

Hehe.. find a high rise building, set up the tripod, open the window and wait.. what's so dangerous.... of course, you will not find the purple sky....Reddish maybe. :D

It's scarey standing there, watching and waiting, seeing flashes across the sky, hearing the thunder roaring.
Suggestions about... keeping safe? try to do it from indoors! :D
I've only done it once, and it was quite scarey;
I think I set it to bulb mode and f/8.0 and open the shutter while until there's a flash of lightning, or depending on how many you want in the frame.

What are the chances of you know...risking eletrocution or getting your camera in flames although it's made out of plastic?

shooting lightning is no easy task.

you simply shoot many "x" second exposures continuously until you get one streak inside a frame.

I tried once... here it is:

33946510.jpg

Was sitting outside my apartment and just kept clicking the shutter. Mostly crap shots and this was the best of the crap. :bsmilie:

Cheers,
Nick

but it looks cool! i've yet to try.

Taking lightnings is fun.. And you need to choose a safe spot..
Besides the fact that you need to wait for a thunderstormy nite, you also need some skill wif the camera and some luck. ;p

Here's my recent shot taken from esplanade.

041023035s.jpg

zod said:

Think in Sg it's very hard to get clear skies with thunderheads. cuz our rainclouds are mainly formed by rising hot and humid air... rather then a clash of hot and cold fronts where you get clear skies on 1 side and a line of storm clouds on the other.

jodie_tan said:
.(Saw a winning shot of a thunder across a purple sky in Pop Photography last year)
Wow... a photo of "Thunder"!!! I would like to know how on Earth can someone capture "sound" on photos? I only saw photos of lightings. But "thunder"? Wow...

Some folks uses a lightning trigger/sensor that's attached to the cable release. Think of it like those slave sensors on studio flash. Some of the lighting photos are done using multiple exposures.

You could buy these at $1k+ on ebay if you want to shoot ligthing.

Great shot Kelster!

I tried taking lightning a week ago but the lightning didn't strike where my lens was pointing at :( When I finally decided on a wide-angle, the clouds moved on ;( Anyway, I find that the best time is during a thunderstorm (see NEA). And get a remote shutter-release cable. I didn't have one and it was tiring keeping my finger on the shutter-release half pressed (needless to say, I got muscle ache next day). As I'm using film, keep on shooting on long exposures is not a solution :sweat:

The hard part for me is actually finding a safe spot where I can see the sky. From my room, 2 apartment blocks are blocking, outdoors it would be raining...

You should be pretty safe from lightning provided you're not the only thing sticking out in the open ground :nono: (that tripod is lightning-rod); shooting from a golf-course or a soccer-field is tantamount to suicide.

I think i read somewhere that singapore has one of the highest lightning strikes rate in the world.
i guess luck does matters when trying to capture it.
it is frustrating when u point your camera at one spot hoping to catch it but it hits another area. sometimes i wasted a whole roll of film without capturing anything :angry:

here is what i caught one early 4am. worth waking up for.:)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sorie_1/album?.dir=d1cb&.src=ph

Hey guys, (new here)

here is my pic :)

y5l95k.jpg

Taken at my parents house

cheers

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.