Who can marry who?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
An interesting question arose in another thread: under Singapore law, is first cousin marriage allowed? Also, can say my wife's brother marry my sister (not that I have one)?

UncleFai said:
An interesting question arose in another thread: under Singapore law, is first cousin marriage allowed? Also, can say my wife's brother marry my sister (not that I have one)?

Never heard of 1st cousin marriages being illegal.

Wife's brother n ur sister why not? 亲上加亲。no blood relations anyway

UncleFai said:
say my wife's brother marry my sister (not that I have one)?

They are not genetically related and have no genetic risk associated with blood cousins marriage.

The Singapore laws are easily available online:

Women's Charter Chapter 353: http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/sear...eee43-1e42-490f-a5ae-33054850e926;rec=0#legis

Relevant to your query is Section 10:

Marriages within prohibited degrees
—(1) A marriage solemnized in Singapore or elsewhere between a man and any of the persons mentioned in the first column of the First Schedule, or between a woman and any of the persons mentioned in the second column of that Schedule, shall be void.

(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1) and the First Schedule, the Minister may, in his discretion, grant a licence under this section for a marriage to be solemnized, notwithstanding the kindred or affinity of the parties, if the Minister is satisfied that the marriage is valid under the law, religion, custom or usage which would have been applicable to the parties thereto if this Act had not been enacted.

(3) A marriage solemnized under such a licence shall be valid.

First Schedule:

Kindred and Affinity Prohibited Degrees of Relationship

Mother.
Father.
Daughter.
Son.
Father’s mother.
Father’s father.
Mother’s mother.
Mother’s father.
Son’s daughter.
Son’s son.
Daughter’s daughter.
Daughter’s son.
Sister.
Brother.
Wife’s mother.
Husband’s father.
Wife’s daughter.
Husband’s son.
Father’s wife.
Mother’s husband.
Son’s wife.
Daughter’s husband.
Father’s father’s wife.
Father’s mother’s husband.
Mother’s father’s wife.
Mother’s mother’s husband.
Wife’s father’s mother.
Husband’s father’s father.
Wife’s mother’s mother.
Husband’s mother’s father.
Wife’s son’s daughter.
Husband’s son’s son.
Wife’s daughter’s daughter.
Husband’s daughter’s son.
Son’s son’s wife.
Son’s daughter’s husband.
Daughter’s son’s wife.
Daughter’s daughter’s husband.
Father’s sister.
Father’s brother.
Mother’s sister.
Mother’s brother.
Brother’s daughter.
Brother’s son.
Sister’s daughter.
Sister’s son.

I don't see Brother's Wife's Brother.

Or Father/Mother's Brother/Sister's Son/Daughter... (first cousin)

Canon user can't marry Nikon user as lens mounts are not interchangeable although can share tripods and camera bag.

:bsmilie:

Get an adapter!

Canon user can't marry Nikon user as lens mounts are not interchangeable although can share tripods and camera bag.

If a Canon user also uses a Nikon or Olympus camera, is it considered having an affair??

giantcanopy said:
Never heard of 1st cousin marriages being illegal.

Wife's brother n ur sister why not? 亲上加亲。no blood relations anyway

But that schedule say "wife's daughter" cannot wor. But if that is from another marriage then no blood relations also wat.

UncleFai said:
But that schedule say "wife's daughter" cannot wor. But if that is from another marriage then no blood relations also wat.

Probably because if from another marriage, ur wife's daughter will be legally your daughter

No wonder I cannot get marry. I use Sony Alpha DSLR, Fujifilm compact and Nikon bag :bsmilie:

Girls must be very confuse :bsmilie:

No wonder I cannot get marry. I use Sony Alpha DSLR, Fujifilm compact and Nikon bag :bsmilie:

Girls must be very confuse :bsmilie:

Oh Damn ............... I use Mamiya MF, Nikon DSLR, Oly PNS and Apple phone camera with a few different brands of camera bags, so I'm having multiple affairs??? :sweatsm: