Who are interested in a zone system workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

singscott

Aug 25, 2004
www.whltelightphotographer.com
Ok the list start now. I would help in any small way I could. Expert on zone system please PM me if you want to help. Venue could someone be sponsor? There a small token fee for refreshment and material for visual. Shouldn't be more then $30.00 as this a non profit workshop. :) I need to work the final fee after I know how many are interested.

1) vince123123 (if free hehe - no mention of cost so far)
2) Quekky
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

I am not an expert in zone system, but my photography has benefitted from simple application of the concepts arising from the zone system. I would be able to help conduct if you think I can contribute. Contrary to what Pro Image said in the previous (now deleted) thread, it will be shown how understanding and applying the concepts can lead to better exposure. It cannot make an image with "X factor" (that depends on your creative juice) but it will help remove one obstacle in your quest for better images.

I believe we are not going to be asking people to embrace and use the zone system in its entirety. Afterall there are few largeformat photographers around. Those who use largeformat will have learnt the application of ZS anyway. So I think the target participants will be photogs who use 35mm or roll films.

Ok the list start now. I would help in any small way I could. Expert on zone system please PM me if you want to help. Venue could someone be sponsor? There a small token fee for refreshment and material for visual. Shouldn't be more then $30.00 as this a non profit workshop. :) I need to work the final fee after I know how many are interested.

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

Why not make it part of the programme in the upcoming Circle of Light gathering. The venue is free and each member pays a token for small refreshment. Could get some sponsor to come in with loan of equipment if need be.

Tell me what u all think. At present, we're getting Ken Seet as a guest speaker in the next gathering...so need some more programme. The zone system thingy can come in as well.

Dr Chong....Boleh?

I need to work the final fee after I know how many are interested.

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5) Imagine
6)
7)
8)
9)

I second to what Jeffrey said ... :thumbsup: held it at espirt

Since zone system is part of B&W ... I meant I learnt it from Ansel Adam's books many years back while I picked up my skills in B&W ... time to re-learn ... :sweatsm:

KNIGHT ONG said:
I second to what Jeffrey said ... :thumbsup: held it at espirt

Since zone system is part of B&W ... I meant I learnt it from Ansel Adam's books many years back while I picked up my skills in B&W ... time to re-learn ... :sweatsm:

I agree that the idea is good. Let us see how this can be worked out!

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5) Imagine
6) Camedia
7)
8)
9)

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5) Imagine
6) Camedia
7) B&S
8)
9)

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5) Imagine
6) Camedia
7) B&S
8) stefyxz
9)

let's see if we can try to lower e cost.

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5) Imagine
6) Camedia
7) B&S
8) stefyxz
9) tucker
10)

regards

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5) Imagine
6) Camedia
7) B&S
8) stefyxz
9) tucker
10) eagles_creek

Zone system? Wats that? Care to explain to me? :dunno:

Venom81 said:
Zone system? Wats that? Care to explain to me? :dunno:

The fundamental of the Zone system is the splitting of exposure into 9 zones: Zone 1 is black while Zone 9 is brightest (pure white). Zone 5 or Zone V is the half-way point. Each interval of the Zone corresponds to 1 f-stop. Please note that this is a theoretical framework. It is difficult to produce accurately all the 9 zones via most printing process. You get more accurate representative of the zones from a monitor screen.

The real zone system includes ways to expose and develop film to achieve print where every area of the photograph is printed at the zone (darkness or brightness) that the photographer intended. The discipline thus covers analysing the scene, lighting, light-metering, darkroom techniques (including chemicals used, time taken, type of paper used for printing), calibrating the entire system, etc., and has lots of reference tables and charts. It takes Ansel Adams more than one book to cover everything he had to say about his Zone system. The Zone System is in fact a very American civil engineering approach to photography.

It is not necessary to know the Zone system to take good photographs nowadays as many photographer do not have control over the development of their films or negatives. And much more can be achieved by spending time to learn Photoshop instead of the Zone system. So most books on general photography don't bother to mention it.

Some of the principles of the Zone System are however useful in answering questions like:

-- why camera suppliers sells 18% grey cards to photoraphers to use for light metering?

-- is there an objective and repeatable way to describe, and measure exposure?

-- What are the very basic principles used by your camera to determine the correct exposure for you?

-- How to do spotmetering?

If these are indeed the topics covered, then it is more accurate to describe the workshop as "Understanding the concepts of exposure" rather than a Zone System workshop.

2) Quekky
3) Yeowww
4) The_Cheat
5) Imagine
6) Camedia
7) B&S
8) stefyxz
9) tucker
10) eagles_creek
11) wainism

taku1a said:
The fundamental of the Zone system is the splitting of exposure into 9 zones: Zone 1 is black while Zone 9 is brightest (pure white). Zone 5 or Zone V is the half-way point. Each interval of the Zone corresponds to 1 f-stop. Please note that this is a theoretical framework. It is difficult to produce accurately all the 9 zones via most printing process. You get more accurate representative of the zones from a monitor screen.

The real zone system includes ways to expose and develop film to achieve print where every area of the photograph is printed at the zone (darkness or brightness) that the photographer intended. The discipline thus covers analysing the scene, lighting, light-metering, darkroom techniques (including chemicals used, time taken, type of paper used for printing), calibrating the entire system, etc., and has lots of reference tables and charts. It takes Ansel Adams more than one book to cover everything he had to say about his Zone system. The Zone System is in fact a very American civil engineering approach to photography.

It is not necessary to know the Zone system to take good photographs nowadays as many photographer do not have control over the development of their films or negatives. And much more can be achieved by spending time to learn Photoshop instead of the Zone system. So most books on general photography don't bother to mention it.

Some of the principles of the Zone System are however useful in answering questions like:

-- why camera suppliers sells 18% grey cards to photoraphers to use for light metering?

-- is there an objective and repeatable way to describe, and measure exposure?

-- What are the very basic principles used by your camera to determine the correct exposure for you?

-- How to do spotmetering?

If these are indeed the topics covered, then it is more accurate to describe the workshop as "Understanding the concepts of exposure" rather than a Zone System workshop.

I shooting digital. Only have A85. Can I come? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.