Whittling

I hope you enjoy it then! Cant offer you any advise since im also new. From what i've read though, try to revolve your design around areas of the timber without knots.
The pine's texture and color might prove to be of use. Some instances while i was working on the whale, i had to shift to face to/away/diagonal to the light. Since the uniform light color of the basswood makes it difficult to check angle and symmetry without some shadows.
Wish you best of luck!

Thanks for the advice. Now I have to think of what I should do for my first project !

I saw this the other night while looking for quality leather tools made me think of you Leo...

http://goodsjapan.com/wood-working-items-89-c.asp

And whittling blades...

http://goodsjapan.com/saws-blades--wood-cutting-implements-103-c.asp

Thanks for thinking of me!
Some of the knives do look pretty cool. I like how simple the designs are.
Dont think i'll have any used for them though, as i already have ones and am going to follow the '1 lens principle' here.
Thanks though!

Thanks for the pin vise suggestion, the location greatly helps too! As for the sanding sponge, what grit should i be looking for?(assuming it is not much more expensive compared to general use sand paper)

As far as I know, these come in medium, fine and ultra fine or something similar. I am not sure what grit they are but I used to use them a fair bit when I was into scale modelling. Those shops I mentioned may also stock up on 3M sanding sponges. No harm trying one out to see if it works. I know some woodworkers who use that to do general cleanup.

This does not sound like whittling anymore.. this is becoming wood work or wood craftmanship heheh...

which part of it do you think it doesnt?
Except the fact that i'll be sanding and applying finishing layer to wood after completion.

As far as I know, these come in medium, fine and ultra fine or something similar. I am not sure what grit they are but I used to use them a fair bit when I was into scale modelling. Those shops I mentioned may also stock up on 3M sanding sponges. No harm trying one out to see if it works. I know some woodworkers who use that to do general cleanup.

Guess i'll just drop by the store to have a look before deciding whether or not i need the things

Except the fact that i'll be sanding and applying finishing layer to wood after completion.

If it is the part with the small drill, its used as a handle when applying finishing. Dont think i want to hand hold it while i spray wax all over my hand, nor place it on a piece of newspaper or smth(it'll most likely stick to the surface)

Guess i'll just drop by the store to have a look before deciding whether or not i need the things

You may also want to drop by $2 Daiso.

You may also want to drop by $2 Daiso.

Im a frequent customer of theirs!
And i forgot to mention. I would move on to test out paulownia wood from daiso, after i use up the other block + dead whale's body.
When i want to make flatter things. They come in ~1inch thickness. 2 inch and 3 inch cubes too,but i dont think it will be of much use. So you might want to consider daiso's paulownia if you finish your current pine.
If you know of any daiso branch with larger-than-usual wood craft section, let me know!

The dremel system seems a little too elaborate and expensive. As for the sharpening system, on lansky's websitrle theres a 'pocket' set that would seem to occupy less space in my small room. Seems like its not as receded as similar ones meant for kitchen use, hence i can put the short blade through. What worries me though is the sharpening angle of these things. Will that be of concern? Or am i thinking too far?

I have the small one as well. You do have to be careful with the sharpening angles...

Last edited:

Ultra fine should be 1000. Fine is 600, medium is 280. It is important to get a leather strope as well.

Im a frequent customer of theirs!
And i forgot to mention. I would move on to test out paulownia wood from daiso, after i use up the other block + dead whale's body.
When i want to make flatter things. They come in ~1inch thickness. 2 inch and 3 inch cubes too,but i dont think it will be of much use. So you might want to consider daiso's paulownia if you finish your current pine.
If you know of any daiso branch with larger-than-usual wood craft section, let me know!

So that is the technical name. :bsmilie:
I think different Daiso branches stock up differently. I went to the IMM branch, they have a much larger wood section.
They have the sandpaper in additional to the sanding blocks. Do check it out.

Err.. I have a lot of pine.

Not trying to poke at you dude heheh.. I just find it amusing as the topic starts to expand it just sound more about woodwork then your typical whittling of olde as I did or as the west which started this. Not that it is bad and it is part of the wood craft skill set as you expand from simple carving on small wood pieces.

As a base definition, "Whittling may refer either to the art of carving shapes out of raw wood using a knife or a time-occupying, non-artistic process of repeatedly shaving slivers from a piece of wood. Art and style of woodcarving using a carving knife. Opposed to relief carving, whittling typically produces a sculpture oppose to adding detail to a piece (such as furniture). A trademark of whittling is that the knife strokes are clearly visible on final piece giving it a rugged natural feel." not that what you are doing is wrong in anyway but can see your interest has jump beyond basic whittling into more serious wood crafting technique and equipment. heh Have fun. Hope you show us some of your work one day.

Last edited:
Not trying to poke at you dude heheh.. I just find it amusing as the topic starts to expand it just sound more about woodwork then your typical whittling of olde as I did or as the west which started this. Not that it is bad and it is part of the wood craft skill set as you expand from simple carving on small wood pieces. As a base definition, "Whittling may refer either to the art of carving shapes out of raw wood using a knife or a time-occupying, non-artistic process of repeatedly shaving slivers from a piece of wood" not that what you are doing is wrong in anyway but can see your interest has jump beyond basic whittling into more serious wood crafting technique and equipment. heh Have fun. Hope you show us some of your work.

Haha okay. Probably my definition of 'whittling' isnt all that well shaped. I came across the term while searching for wood working without using power tool + doesnt produce much wood dust.
Perhaps i made you feel so as i want my finished product to have a definite form. One that i am very pleased with and would totally buy a shelf to display it. Cheers

I'm curious about something concerning the Merlion. I understand it is copyrighted and cannot be used without permission. So does this mean one could not whittle a Merlion and then sell it?

I'm curious about something concerning the Merlion. I understand it is copyrighted and cannot be used without permission. So does this mean one could not whittle a Merlion and then sell it?

You just need to write to Singapore Tourism Board, asking for licencing of image of Merlion for reselling purpose. :)

Or you could just sell it as 'ugly mermaid' haha just joking!
You do need liscencing i believe.
https://www.stb.gov.sg/assistance-and-licensing/resources/Pages/STB-owned-Assets-Merlion-Symbol.aspx

Haha okay. Probably my definition of 'whittling' isnt all that well shaped. I came across the term while searching for wood working without using power tool + doesnt produce much wood dust.
Perhaps i made you feel so as i want my finished product to have a definite form. One that i am very pleased with and would totally buy a shelf to display it. Cheers

Nah.. that's cool. The only time i apply some vanish like paint on mine for the knife handle I talked about was simply because I would be using the knife by gripping the handle i carve so I need something paint to protect or just to stain more evenly looking in a darker color then to leave it exposed and then all the dirt and pil from my hands will settle on it. Woodwork is actually quite therapeutic, Harrison Ford I read long ago does carpentry work when he is not acting if I am not wrong. It's very old school to be working with your hands.

While im thinking up my next project, i came to remember what my D&T assistant teacher taught me back in sec sch. "If you cannot draw it in flat plane(2D), you cannot visualise the object in 3D". That was said to me when i tried to 'see how it goes', starting my prototype without a detailed design drawing.
So here im starting to sketch my design before starting. Just for sharing's sake, heres how my whale is supposed to look like had it survived.

$ForumRunner_20160103_143822.jpg

Since my first project was a whale, allow me to share the work of a related photographer's work named:

Anuar Patjane » underwater realm!