Whitewashed pictures in AV mode

satriani25

Mar 29, 2011
Singapore
Hi all,

Was playing with my 60D and 50mm 1.8 in AV mode. Noticed this strange thing..
When I set aperture to 1.8, the camera auto set the ISO to 1600 and shutter speed to 4" resulting in a whitewashed overexposed picture..
From my understanding, when in AV mode the camera will auto set the rest but to result in such an overexposed picture, is that normal? Anyone with a similar setup care to share if they have a problem like that?
Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

When I set aperture to 1.8, the camera auto set the ISO to 1600 and shutter speed to 4" resulting in a whitewashed overexposed picture..
From my understanding, when in AV mode the camera will auto set the rest but to result in such an overexposed picture, is that normal? Anyone with a similar setup care to share if they have a problem like that?
Thanks in advance!

spot metering or partial or matrix? depending on where you aim, the metering can fool the camera sensor.

Reportage said:
spot metering or partial or matrix? depending on where you aim, the metering can fool the camera sensor.

Hi just checked.. it's on evaluative...

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

no good reason why it should happen. what is it that you're aiming at, is it dark coloured? in normal room lighting? did you change the EV setting?

perform a check on your camera.
turn off your camera, remove and insert your battery, remove and mount the lense, give a few puffs with a blower on the contact points and turn it back on.
if the issue still exists you need to do your own testing, vary apertures and set the ISO yourself.

Is it whitewashed for just one shot or for all shots?

If for all shots, are all the shots set to 4" or each shot has a different shutter speed?

Hi all,
Lighting is normal fluorescent lighting... 5200k? Did the reset with battery out as well.. it works well with my 18-200mm.. only with the 50mm has this prob...

I seriously wonder how did your camera manage to meter a 4" shot with ISO1600 on a normal room light scenario... Did you spot meter and aim your AF point out of the window at the black sky at night?

Cowseye said:
I seriously wonder how did your camera manage to meter a 4" shot with ISO1600 on a normal room light scenario... Did you spot meter and aim your AF point out of the window at the black sky at night?

I was pointing at my fishtank under normal lighting.. not pointing at anything dark.. really don't understand why it set the shutter speed so long till pic is whitewashed...

photoart said:
Is it whitewashed for just one shot or for all shots?

If for all shots, are all the shots set to 4" or each shot has a different shutter speed?

It's whitewashed for all shots under different shutter speed.. under fully auto it turns out fine..

It's whitewashed for all shots under different shutter speed.. under fully auto it turns out fine..
What are the setting that the camera selects for 'Auto'? Try to capture the same scene with different modes, compare. For different Aperture/Shutter/ISO settings you will need to convert, of course. Another point: did you accidentally dial in Exposure compensation? This would only work in Av mode, but not in 'Auto' (setting disabled).
Try different Aperture settings, f/1.8 is wide open and some lenses tend to flare at this settings. Stop down to f/2.8 at least.

Last edited:
set your metering mode to "0"

set your metering mode to "0"
Usual modes are Spot, Partial, Evaluative / Matrix metering. Do you mean Exposure Compensation?

Last edited:
Octarine said:
Usual modes are Spot, Partial, Evaluative / Matrix metering Do you mean Exposure Compensation?

Bujay and octarine hit the spot.. it was the exposure compensation.. was at +2.. set it back to 0 and everything was well again.. Big thanks to all who helped out!

Bujay and octarine hit the spot.. it was the exposure compensation.. was at +2.. set it back to 0 and everything was well again.. Big thanks to all who helped out!

not only that, i will also advise u to turn off auto ISO. I dun like the idea of shooting high ISO in the daytime (this happens when u let the camera decides for you the ISO).

sinned79 said:
not only that, i will also advise u to turn off auto ISO. I dun like the idea of shooting high ISO in the daytime (this happens when u let the camera decides for you the ISO).

You are right. It sometime does seem awfully weird that the cam will choose to shoot at ISO1600 in relatively bright settings when ISO400 or lower will do. Thanks for the input!

You are right. It sometime does seem awfully weird that the cam will choose to shoot at ISO1600 in relatively bright settings when ISO400 or lower will do. Thanks for the input!

I think you can configure the auto ISO settings and how they behave... or at least mine can :)
Haven't encountered the camera choosing such a high ISO in good lighting before.

I think you can configure the auto ISO settings and how they behave... or at least mine can :)
Haven't encountered the camera choosing such a high ISO in good lighting before.

maybe i haven look hard enough but i dun think canon's one can. at least for my 5DMKII. so i prefer to off it and set the ISO on my own. Anyway it's pretty standard for me. i always use ISO 100 during daytime and 200 when light is not good in the day. Evening wise i use ISO 800-1600. In rare occassion i use higher then ISO 1600.

Usual modes are Spot, Partial, Evaluative / Matrix metering. Do you mean Exposure Compensation?

yes its exposure compensation.. this is the one you just adjust when u use P, Av mode etc. when morning use 200 iso or 400 and evening use 800 iso or just adjust the compensation so you could have the perfect shoot.

i hope i did help you in some ways thanks and good luck...

maybe i haven look hard enough but i dun think canon's one can. at least for my 5DMKII. so i prefer to off it and set the ISO on my own. Anyway it's pretty standard for me. i always use ISO 100 during daytime and 200 when light is not good in the day. Evening wise i use ISO 800-1600. In rare occassion i use higher then ISO 1600.

har? really har?... aiyoh, so sad.... ;)
mwahahahahaha.....