Whiter face on bride, flash or make up went wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunger

Mar 12, 2004
Tampines
Hi All,

Just want to ask you guys and gals, the picture below (ignore the wrong color cast).
sherry_wed.jpg

Why the bride's face is so obviously white. My friend said in person she look ok.

So my main question is what is the main cause behind this? Make up artist or the photographer?

look okie because of the low yellow casting of the place, which is what hotels usually use..

But in reality maybe too much foundation were used..

from my personal point of view,i think too much make up...plus the flash it become more "white"...

dude!!! :bigeyes:

i think that it's to do with the foundation / powder used, it reflected the flash all over the place!! i have seen similar results when they try to cover eye-bags with foundation - whole face nice texture, but matte under the eyes.

although it's caused by the MU, i suspect that one way to minimise this is to try a better light diffuser (coupled with a strong flash), such that it gives better overall lighting while being less harsh on the subjects.

A strong case of makeup blues. Choice of powering/foundation used that did not work well with the camera flash. Some powdering medium are not right for flash photography especially those thick make up to mask skin tone to enhance them lighter. Usually they look fine under room light but when a flash pops off, the whole face gets that reflective glow.

She might have asked a friend to do the makeup with conventional makeup stuff? If it was a professional makeup artist and they know you will be photographed with a lot of flash shots, the type of makeup choose is crucial. It is just like shooting a model scene in colour and in black & White. You have to redo the makeup if you switch from colour to black & white as b&w film captures tones differently.

Think it is the make up... certain make up has some reflective base to make the face look lighter in colour i guess... But in this case it's reflecting way too much flash light.. :p

I think best if you correct to B&W and adjust from there.. haha..

Oh, thanks guys. I know what to tell my friend on her wedding day liao. Must choose the right make up for the right purpose ^_^.

If not, I will need to PS her face in every photos ... can die.

Hehe, everyday is a learning day.

Any comment from any make up artist?

Did your friend use a 'professional' make up artist or did she use her friend/relative?

Think it's good to have a proper makeup artist do the job... These people should also recommend the use of ampoules to control facial oil.. else u'll get greasy marks on the cheek areas especially when using flash... haha...

Ur friend need any recommendation for a good makeup artist? I can recommend u the one used by my wife during our wedding...

This is the luminosity type of make up, some make up artists applied on the brides’ face during wedding diner, it will make her stand out in the evening, but is a nightmare of wedding day photographers, the face will like something glow in dark, just like the street sign or traffic sign glowing in the night when you car lights shine on it at 100m away.:eek:

You can’t do much about it but maybe try available light.:bsmilie:

chunger said:
Oh, thanks guys. I know what to tell my friend on her wedding day liao. Must choose the right make up for the right purpose ^_^.

If not, I will need to PS her face in every photos ... can die.

Hehe, everyday is a learning day.

Any comment from any make up artist?
aiyah Kate is a gd MUA lor..she is quite popular amoung CS photographers

Bo bian, really have to bounce and shoot more towards warmish WB to cut down on the effect. Brighter face than others is ok, but bluish face is not ok!

But then too warm a WB in banquet venues (typically incandescent or warm fluorescent) = a lot of red ch clipping. Then all the face kena hotspots liao and other areas very easily clipped, even though exposure already toned down.

All in all, basically fugged. Explain and blame it totally on the MUA. Else she goes to forum complain....woohoos.

Pardon me. :bsmilie: Just wondering if using bounced flash or 2 flash from side, instead of diffused flash aimed straight forward, helps in such a case? Or say using an orange flash gel filter?

i can give u a very good answer... i only see one sec i know what happen ,sorry if the makeupartist is there ,the foundation they use a wrong tone.. every people got color tone ... this is why look very white... i do not know why that make up artist did not test before putting it?? i'm a professional make up hope can help u ... need can call me at 98930268 or email me at makeupartisteileen@yahoo.com.sg

makeupartisteileen said:
i can give u a very good answer... i only see one sec i know what happen ,sorry if the makeupartist is there ,the foundation they use a wrong tone.. every people got color tone ... this is why look very white... i do not know why that make up artist did not test before putting it?? i'm a professional make up hope can help u ... need can call me at 98930268 or email me at makeupartisteileen@yahoo.com.sg

Sometimes they also use those glittery stuff right? Normally I see them apply it on the bride during the dinner event only.. but sometimes they use it during the day also.. and they put lots of it.... so much so that when you flash them... wah... all the light comes back at you... :p :p

So wat's the correct kinda foundation to use? Matt one ah?

Make-up....problem definitely

It reminded of me years ago where I really have a difficult time to explain to my clients.
Which they still refused to understand and accept the facts.

Hello, I don't see anyone telling you this but it ISN'T because she is wearing too much make up...it is because her foundation contains SPF (sunscreen protection) which results in the color distortion...So I think you should get her to use one that is matt and does not contain any SPF. good luck <3

yes they should use cream foundation... althought they look more thicker but can cover very well...if you know how to apply it you would look like mask.... if not matter that spf or what .. i use spf also won't like that ma... if she put a wrong color tone than will be like that ... this is why we call client to buy from us a ampus..:nono:i just remember some thing ... when i haven go for my make up lesson... i make up myself is look like that once i take any photo my face will look super white

Status
Not open for further replies.