White?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeEFF

Mar 21, 2008
i'm experimenting with my new camera, and i started experimenting with long shutter speeds ( yes i have a small tripod ), but the photos always end up to be pure white

how do i solve this?

I'm using canon eos 500d

i used shutter speed of 1 second, and everything else on default actually

and i already deleted the pics.

In what condition were you shooting? Day? Night? Shooting mode (P, A, S, M)? What were you shooting? ISO? Without these details don't think we can help much.

Why deleted the pics then ask? NPNT. Go take some more and post here. ;p

Iso was on automatic. I tried putting it lower, but the picture was still white.

it was day, round 2pm

shooting mode? no idea.. regular? :p

are u using manual or shutter speed priority?

long exposure require smaller aperture (higher f stops)

Last edited:
Iso was on automatic. I tried putting it lower, but the picture was still white.

it was day, round 2pm

Wah, in 2pm daylight you shoot 1s. :bigeyes: You win. :thumbsup: No wonder you get a white pic. :bsmilie:

Even with ISO100 and f/22 I also don't think you could get a properly exposed pic. :bsmilie:

Look up you manual for the shooting modes (I think Canon calls them P, Av, Tv, M - for Program, Aperture priority, Shutter priority, and Manual mode). But from your description I guess you're either shooting in Tv or M mode, since you're setting the shutter speed to 1s.

Now why you get white pics? Let's say you're shooting with Shutter priority (Tv) mode. Let assume the ISO is 100 (the lowest it can go). So you set shutter speed to 1s. The pic will be very much overexposed, and the camera will try it's best to compensate by selecting an aperture as narrow as possible. But remember that your lens has a limit on how narrow the aperture can go. Let's say it is f/22. Once the camera hits f/22, it will no longer be able to compensate further, thus leaving an overexposed, white pic.

While you're reading the manual, also look up something call the analog exposure meter (not sure whether your 500D has it, I'm a Nikon user). A common mistake newbies make is to exceed the range of the camera (e.g. selecting a shutter speed so slow that the aperture exceeds the narrowest available on your lens) resulting in improperly exposed pics. The analog exposure meter in your viewfinder will tell you whether your shot is over or underexposed.

Last edited:
it was day, round 2pm

Sure winner :thumbsup: I suggest you read your camera manual and get a decent book about basics of photography. Without some basic ideas what your are doing it's a like a car driver asking why he hits the tree when turning the wheel left while going 80 ...
There are things in this world can need a few bits of knowledge to make it work. If you don't like this get a PointNShoot and stay on green dummy mode.

i'm experimenting with my new camera, and i started experimenting with long shutter speeds ( yes i have a small tripod ), but the photos always end up to be pure white

how do i solve this?

I'm using canon eos 500d

ur photo is way overexposed due to long exposure in strong daylight...

if u die die need to shoot longer exposure u bring light u can try

-increasing f/stop
-lowering exposure compensation
-use a neutral density (ND) filter

but of course the first thing u need to do is know ur basics n work on ur foundation

Last edited:
actually when u look into the viewfinder of the 500d.. extreme under or over exposed pictures... the aperture figure will blink...

correct me if im wrong here. the manual did explain and i tried out as well.

I'm so curious to know yr experiment motive ... What do you aim to achieve in broad daylight of 2pm at SS of 1s? :p

I'm so curious to know yr experiment motive ... What do you aim to achieve in broad daylight of 2pm at SS of 1s? :p

Perfectly white images :bsmilie:

how do i solve this?

I'm using canon eos 500d

FIRST learn how to read metering.

GO read up on the equation between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. Then you'll understand where you went wrong.

time to read up on basic photography, i.e. exposure, shutter speed, aperture, iso..♦

Status
Not open for further replies.