White stains on rubber of DSLR

gardna

Apr 17, 2013
Singapore
Hi all, im wondering if some of you also face this issue of after some time, the rubber surfaces on the your dslr gets some white stains. According to one person ive talked to, its sweat stains, not surprising but any idea how to remove it? Its a 650D in case thats of any importance

Some of my older lenses have it too. Ive used alcohol wipes on both occasions but it worked better for the lenses as the rubber is not that textured.

Any better solution? I dont wish to send it to anyone for cleaning as it is just a cosmetic issue.

Thanks again =)

ahhh, sounds like a good idea =)

do you use any water/solution/(toothpaste, lol)?

Its not sweat stains. Its early signs of rubber rot. Usually happen in hot and high humidity regions like Singapore. The rubber is actually secreting out substances out from its composition due to the heat and that what you see reacting with the air a layer of white film. If its a well used unit our hands rub it off we dont notice, but doesnt mean the effect is not there, and the effect is rubber expansion or disintegration/breaking apart, depending on type of rubber.

oh crap. I do see some spots with my GR after long days of use in the hot weather.
Hope it is just sweat stains (as they go away after cleaning) and not disintegration of the rubber.

ahh, thanks for all the help. Toothbrush dabbed with a little water worked wonders =)

oh crap. I do see some spots with my GR after long days of use in the hot weather.
Hope it is just sweat stains (as they go away after cleaning) and not disintegration of the rubber.

Sweat stain induce white specks or powdery looking at just tiny salt crustal once evaporation takes place. Just like when your black shirt or tee shirt after it has dry off, you see a irregular band of white. For my camera I use a lint cloth with a bit of clean water, I wipe my gear down and then put them in my digi-cabi humidifier cabinet.

Salt corrodes so if you leave white stains then eventually corrodes rubber??? I must look at all my lenses for evidence.

Hey was Singapore at some time famous for rubber products I think I read that somewhere once?

Last edited: