White spots on some photos?

Apathy

Oct 9, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi, I'm fairly new here and fairly new to photography too.
So I'm hoping someone can help me out here.
You see, there is this white spot that appears in my photos and I don't know what causes it.
It doesn't appear all the time but only sometimes, but when it does appear, it appears roughly on the same area.
It's the spot slightly to the left around the middle of the photo.
The first photo was taken 2 days after I bought my DSLR.
Thanks in advance for the help!

photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

Last edited:
All your pictures are in a private FB album. We cannot see them.

here it is. use the correct URL for linking. the link you're using is to advance to the next shot.

8070289481_410a5090ac_z.jpg

8070288693_8eea4b9ac2_z.jpg

8070283286_2e3aacccbf_z.jpg

8070286963_977f5906a3_z.jpg

have you checked the front element of your lens?

or if you're using a filter, check it as well.

kei1309 said:
have you checked the front element of your lens?

or if you're using a filter, check it as well.

Can b d sensor too. Blow dry d sensor n try.

Check the sensor as well, did you buy a new set or a 2nd hand piece?

Check rear element.

Look at how blurred the shots are.

Are you using one of those HORRIBLE "Wide angle and Macro converters" that the salespeople sell to gullible newbies for a few hundred bucks? The ones that are actually worthless and only harm your shots?

clearly is on lens or filter, zoom in very big, zoom out very small.

Good analysis!

If front and rear element both clean, could be inside, if so, then ask, is this a brand new lens or bought second hand? Could be amateurish lens cleaning/servicing blunder.

Hi, thanks for all the input.

Firstly, for those asking, the DSLR is a new, first-hand bought only quite recently. And no, I'm not using the wide angle and macro converters that one of you mentioned.

Secondly, I checked the front part of the lens and found something like a small mark around the middle. So that could be what's causing it. I'm a total beginner at this and I'm scared of damaging my lens if I decide to clean it by myself. So I shall get this cleaned at a photographic shop sometime soon and I'll see what happens.

Anyway, thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

Secondly, I checked the front part of the lens and found something like a small mark around the middle. So that could be what's causing it. I'm a total beginner at this and I'm scared of damaging my lens if I decide to clean it by myself. So I shall get this cleaned at a photographic shop sometime soon and I'll see what happens.
Unlikely. Have a look here for some tests: https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/08/the-apocalypse-of-lens-dust
As you can see, objects on front elements needs to be very large and obvious to cause such problems as in your pictures. On the other hand, objects closer to the sensor can be much smaller.
Check the rear part and the sensor. Objects on front elements need to be quite large to cause such effects. Also, the shadow is quite sharp - which rather points to a position at rear element or sensor. Check your manual how to unmount the lens, then have a closer look at lens and sensor. For the sensor check, consult your manual for the option of "Manual Sensor Cleaning" and follow these steps.
For the cleaning, approach the service center for your camera (details online or in your manual / warranty card).

Last edited:
I wonder if you submit those photos to SPI, would the analysis be different?

I wonder if you submit those photos to SPI, would the analysis be different?

HAHAHAHA this made my day....

For TS, you can buy a lens pen and rocket blower. Just blow it to remove dust/sand(killer) and then clean it with the lenspen and blow again. Usually works fine.

Alternatively walk into a spectacles shop and get a good cleaning cloth. Blow away the dust, wipe.

If every single dirt, stain or mark on your glasses means send to service center.... very chiam....

sometimes cleaning solution helps too.

glasses are actually not super fragile, if you exercise care, you can clean them yourself most of the time

Take some shots with a borrowed lens on your body.
Take some shots with your lens on a borrowed body.
This will pinpoint as to where the fault is.........

Apathy said:
Hi, thanks for all the input.

Firstly, for those asking, the DSLR is a new, first-hand bought only quite recently. And no, I'm not using the wide angle and macro converters that one of you mentioned.

Anyway, thanks for the help, really appreciate it!

after you clean it, if the mark is still there and does not fade, it should be a scratched front element. since ur dslr is brand new, should be still on warranty. send it to the brand's camera servicing centre.

did you check the lens at the shop before you pay? maybe call the shop u buy from. if u didnt register ur warranty, some shops will replace it for u.

Did you try to use a tissue to wipe the front of the lens?