White Spots/crack on lens

pchmj

Sep 8, 2005
This lens is about 6 months old. Used for about 3 months then kept unused. Recently wanted to sell it and got a shock when I took out to test. It's on the inner side so no way I can clean it. Don't think it's fungus since it's still quite new.

Based on the pic, is it a crack or really fungus? Is warranty covered for such problem? TIA.

P6232252.jpg

It looks like fungus to me. Is it kept in a dry-box?

Wah piang! Look like bacterial colony on agar plate lor!

This lens is about 6 months old. Used for about 3 months then kept unused. Recently wanted to sell it and got a shock when I took out to test. It's on the inner side so no way I can clean it. Don't think it's fungus since it's still quite new.

Based on the pic, is it a crack or really fungus? Is warranty covered for such problem? TIA.

P6232252.jpg

Looks like fungus and the glass is haze. Look like store in very poor condition for a long time.

Warranty not cover in this case. Only for manufacturing defect have cover.

P6232252.jpg

even if its just 6 months old, if it was unused for 3 months without a drybox/dry-cab, there's still a good chance it will get fungus. especially if you used the lens in its first 3 months in humid or or near-water conditions, then stored it after in its plastic packaging where the moisture couldn't escape.

best bet is to send it for servicing and cleaning. good luck! ;)

try sunning it under strong sunlight or uv light.

last resort send it to camera hospital to clean it up.

try sunning it under strong sunlight or uv light.

last resort send it to camera hospital to clean it up.

looking at the condition...dun think this will help much.

Thanks guys, I will send it for servicing, see what service center say.

It's kept in a dry box but silicone is wet already. Will get a proper dry cabinet this week.

new/use is not an indication if the lens will grow fungus. It's the humidity level of storage that's of great concern.:)

It's kept in a dry box but silicone is wet already. Will get a proper dry cabinet this week.

:thumbsup:

a classic case of the routine of changing silica gels dies off then bo chup. So this is what will happen to your lens.

Thats why i say, why bother? Just do it right and get a dry cabinet right from the start. No escaping afterall in the end.

huat ar. u shld had learnt from me, get 1 whole bottle of gel and stuff inside those preserving jars and then throw ur camera in. after a few years my gels still look relatively new:D