White dot on picture

jeryll

Mar 10, 2005
Hi recently just bought a Canon G11 camera. When i take photo in low light there is this one tiny pixel/dot always at the same spot of the picture. in is only visible in dark picture like night photography with dark sky. May i know is it the sensor or the lens particles or shall i send it for a check at Canon? Thanks.

Hi recently just bought a Canon G11 camera. When i take photo in low light there is this one tiny pixel/dot always at the same spot of the picture. in is only visible in dark picture like night photography with dark sky. May i know is it the sensor or the lens particles or shall i send it for a check at Canon? Thanks.

You are taking low-light photo, with ISO 800 or more???

If that the case, it is due to high ISO noise.:cool:

i don't think it's noise will try post pics :)

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Last edited:
3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

Different crop due to different file size L and M size

Last edited:
G11

IMG_0089.jpg

01.jpg

left top down 4 story

Last edited:
IMG_0090.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

I actually got the F200EXR at first and it was much worst. That's how i discover the white dot issue.

Try taking a photo in a completely dark condition with lowest ISO.

ie with cap on if your compact have it.

If the white dot still exist, that mean you have burn out pixel.

Sent to CSC if it is still under warranty

Here's one from F200EXR it's a lot worst. could it be the dust on the lens or sensor.
As i have read if dust on sensor it will appear as black on pics?

DSCF1137.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I discover it as i was scrolling through the pics on my pc and i notice the same white dot keeps appearing at the same spot on differt pics. At first i thought it was my monitor but it's not. :dunno:

Here's one from F200EXR it's a lot worst. could it be the dust on the lens or sensor.
As i have read if dust on sensor it will appear as black on pics?

DSCF1137.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

I discover it as i was scrolling through the pics on my pc and i notice the same white dot keeps appearing at the same spot on differt pics. At first i thought it was my monitor but it's not. :dunno:

Did you use your camera to shoot directly at the sun???? Your F200EXR photo looks like a sunspot in a dark background.

Don't know how to use photobucket. Apparenty it doesn't show the full size of the pics they scale it down from 6MP to 1024. All details are gone.
;p

Sorry, i use the moon picture as a reference. its not the big white spot but around the moon. and the buildings too. its alot more apparent with the full 6MP pics. it's alot of little tiny white dots/pixel.

0001.jpg

Nope They are not STARS! ;p

Taken on F200EXR
Just incase you think that it only happens at night.

Here's one at macro mode

Red circle indicate white dots/pixel.

DSCF0092.jpg

0002.jpg

0003.jpg

Last edited:
Since the location that your so call white dot is not fixed, it is most likely to be noise due to ISO setting or JPG processing.

Your moon photo are taken with ISO 400, the white dot maybe due to ISO. Since your flower photo had no exif, there are no way i can tell what setting you use for this shot.

Please do try to take a completely black photo with different ISO to know the max ISO that you can use with acceptable ISO noise.

The white dot are not visible when i magnified using Aperture or Capture One software, it is possible to be cause by your editing software.

Try taking a photo in a completely dark condition with lowest ISO.

ie with cap on if your compact have it.

If the white dot still exist, that mean you have burn out pixel.

Sent to CSC if it is still under warranty

Yup tried taking with ISO 80 auto covered with a black t-shirt and swith off the lights. Yes the spot is still there.

Bought from electrical store still within 7 day exchange period. do you guys think i should change to a DSLR instead becos of the price range or is there any better recommendation like LX5 or D3000 or Sony nex3/5 (not sure of the price though) or EX1 samsung?
Bascically want a very good IQ camera that'll last a while. Any suggestion greatly appreciated as in a lost on what to get.

Or just exchange for another unit of G11?Thanks!

Last edited:
This one should have the Exif

Anyway this is a photo taken with F200 which i have returned for the G11.

DSCF0092-1.jpg

Thanks dleugene.