White card to calibrate white balance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you meant, grey card.

ShutterBugL said:
I meant white card actually. : )

Check out that link to WhiBal: one of the cards is a white card.
you use a 18% grey card to measure white balance!

Deadpoet said:
you use a 18% grey card to measure white balance!

I assume that should read "you CAN use an 18% gray card...". There's no special requirement apart from not having a colour cast. A sheetof unexposed, fixed photo paper or inkjet photo quality paper should be good enough for practical purposes.

I thought white card is to set WB and grey card exposure?

It looks like a great product but just too damn expensive. I think a gray card would serve it''s purpose at a fraction of the cost. FYI when using a white piece of paper be careful and ensure that it is pure white, some papers have a slight hue to it, it might throw your custom color balance off.

Thanks for your comments, everyone.

hondasleeper said:
It looks like a great product but just too damn expensive. I think a gray card would serve it''s purpose at a fraction of the cost. FYI when using a white piece of paper be careful and ensure that it is pure white, some papers have a slight hue to it, it might throw your custom color balance off.

Agree about the cost. That's why I'm exploring cheaper alternatives. :D Will check out the grey cards you mentioned.

Kiher's sytrofoam cup idea is also interesting -- it'll still work when wet! ;)

Out of curiosity, anyone here using some other homemade white / grey card or some other homemade alternative for white balancing?

Formica sample or paint swatches? If you can find one to match the 18% gray card.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
learn something new everyday... i always thought white card = white balance, 18% grey card for metering.
the RGB value for white card is 255, 255, 255.
and the 18% grey is 128,128,128, as long it is neutral in color, can use for white balance setting.

Those cards look like nylon plastic. What a rip off. Probably cost them a few dollars to manufacture.

hondasleeper said:
Formica sample or paint swatches? If you can find one to match the 18% gray card.

that's what my wife suggested too :bsmilie:

smtan24 said:
Those cards look like nylon plastic. What a rip off. Probably cost them a few dollars to manufacture.

dunno leh. some of the reviewers say very good quality and it really serves its purpose.:think:

smtan24 said:
Yeah.. but they are calibrated. That's the difference..

Evergreen sheet styrene, $9 from Bras Basah Artfriend, or get Tamiya 1mm pla-plate, same thing except Tamiya's come with 1 side matt and 1 side coated with a sheen, so use the matt part. :D :bsmilie:

G-man said:
Evergreen sheet styrene, $9 from Bras Basah Artfriend, or get Tamiya 1mm pla-plate, same thing except Tamiya's come with 1 side matt and 1 side coated with a sheen, so use the matt part. :D :bsmilie:
Have you done a spectral analysis on them? If not, you won't know if they are really neutral.

Well I am just an amatuer hobbyist, so I am quite happy as long as it looks white to me, my colours come out accurate and they work, it's fine by me.

If you're doing it pro, then yea I say invest in something that'll last you a long time. In my case, i have tons of styrene sheets lying around as I build gunpla model kits too so those were good enough for me.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.