White Bellied Sea Eagles (not pretty)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harlequin2902

May 11, 2004
Just wanna share the find that made my day after a rather disappointing morning at the Jelutong Tower...

White Bellied Sea Eagles - a family day for them too ?

They were very far away from where I was. All shots taken using D70 + 480mm scope + 3x barlow lens (something like a TC), giving me an effective and mind boggling focal length of 2160mm on my camera. Manual focusing. At a rather bad time too : 2:30pm.

I was just casually scanning the tall, bare trees in the distance with a pair of 10x40s when I saw a dark shape perched on one of the trees :

0908wbse5.jpg

A closer view :

0908wbse1.jpg

While I was still observing it, it was joined by it's mate :

0908wbse2.jpg

0908wbse3.jpg

Answering their baby's call ? - I saw the juvenile soaring in the area for a while before it disappeared into the trees. It never did come out into the open again and I didn't manage to spot where it landed. But I could hear it's call very clearly.

0908wbse4.jpg

This 'communication' between the 2 adults and the juvenile happened several times during the hour I was with them, each lasting a few minutes. I can still hear their calls ringing in my ears !

Whoa, 3x! Can't really complain about the image quality for such rare shot. Your spotting is really good.

Will definitely hang around longer in future.

Well Sam, that's the good thing about being nature photographer. At the minimum, we get to enjoy what nature has to offer through our sense of sight, hearing and smelling (sometimes :D ).

Getting the shot is a bonus.

Good spotting there!

Good record shots there, Sam, especially the last one. Thanks for sharing your experience too. SK is right, thats what my sig says too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.