White balance

nightlights

Jul 15, 2011
Can you guys share what device, equipment, or object you all use to set white balance.

Current I use a piece of white paper.. But always need to replace. So I find it troublesome.

I usually shoot in RAW, and the AWB of my camera is usually pretty spot on. But if it's odd lighting, I use an 18% gray card (i only use it in 1 picture, then use that to auto-set white balance in all my pictures shot i the same lighting) or you can also use a whitebalance lens cap. They're cheap, and easily found in the mass sales section here.

Can you guys share what device, equipment, or object you all use to set white balance.

Current I use a piece of white paper.. But always need to replace. So I find it troublesome.

I shoot RAW usually. Otherwise my camera usually get it right or very close so its negligible.

I find those white balance devices are waste of time and more like a photo product that is better to sell than to really use.

Also gets harder and more complicated when you mix lighting sources, like mix room lighting with flash. etc.

Rashkae said:
I usually shoot in RAW, and the AWB of my camera is usually pretty spot on. But if it's odd lighting, I use an 18% gray card (i only use it in 1 picture, then use that to auto-set white balance in all my pictures shot i the same lighting) or you can also use a whitebalance lens cap. They're cheap, and easily found in the mass sales section here.

Hi, I look up on the lens cap a bit. Found there are different looking kinds and color. But some web says any $10 bucks eBay ones will do. Any comments. Thks. I shoot 100% jpeg. So need something easier to carry than a paper will do.

sjackal said:
I shoot RAW usually. Otherwise my camera usually get it right or very close so its negligible.

I find those white balance devices are waste of time and more like a photo product that is better to sell than to really use.

Also gets harder and more complicated when you mix lighting sources, like mix room lighting with flash. etc.

Some times I get white balance problem when the subject fill the frame with a brightly colored shirt. And I shoot jpeg only. So I need a wb pre set. No choice as I don't shoot raw.

Some times I get white balance problem when the subject fill the frame with a brightly colored shirt. And I shoot jpeg only. So I need a wb pre set. No choice as I don't shoot raw.
Then use the WB caps, take a reading from the scene without the person and the t-shirt first, then shoot with this preset.

Hi, I look up on the lens cap a bit. Found there are different looking kinds and color. But some web says any $10 bucks eBay ones will do. Any comments. Thks. I shoot 100% jpeg. So need something easier to carry than a paper will do.
Rashkae mentioned grey cards, which also come as white cards. It's plastic and should last for a while. Available in many shops.

I'm using a whibal (grey card), and am very happy with the results.

you can take a look at the spyder cube (works similar to a grey card) or exposdisc (works differently from a grey card), or any grey card that you can find from camera shops.
or you can just eyeball and adjust accordingly if you shoot in raw, but make sure your screen is calibrated

Octarine said:
Rashkae mentioned grey cards, which also come as white cards. It's plastic and should last for a while. Available in many shops.

@ rashkae - I bought a S$6.1 lens cap already.

@ octarine - I thought rashkae mentioned lens cap. Thanks for letting me know how to use. Think at least 2 - 3 wks then can get the cheap one I got from eBay.

i would just like to post another question, if ever i bought a 72mm WB lens cap, can i also use it for a lens with a 67mm diameter?

i would just like to post another question, if ever i bought a 72mm WB lens cap, can i also use it for a lens with a 67mm diameter?

diameter different, but if you're just using it to cover the lens and take WB reading, I think should be ok ba.

No problem at all, just cover the lens and set the WB, after that you can just keep it in your bag.

nice! thanks guys! i think i'll just go buy the 72mm WB lens cap wb reading for all my lenses.

ow another question, can i still use the WB lens caps when using flash in an (1) indoor event and (2) as a fill flash during an overcast or bright photoshoot outside? any suggestions?

nice! thanks guys! i think i'll just go buy the 72mm WB lens cap wb reading for all my lenses.

ow another question, can i still use the WB lens caps when using flash in an (1) indoor event and (2) as a fill flash during an overcast or bright photoshoot outside? any suggestions?

Your camera should have a "flash" whitebalance setting that automatically gets set when you attach a flash.