white Balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackjazzboy

Sep 15, 2003
Bk Pj
Visit site
need expert adv on the below regarding the white balance .. try to play with it .. sometime the color turn out to be too blue but sometime ok ...

01. when shd we adj the white balance?
02. how shd we adj the white balance?
03. when adjing the white balance, just anyhow point or must point at particular area?
04. what is the purpose of adj the white balance?
05. anything i need to know abt white balance

sorry for so many question .. but hope the expert here can help ..

by the way, i only hv a P&S camera .. Fujifilm F31fd :sweat::sweat:

need expert adv on the below regarding the white balance .. try to play with it .. sometime the color turn out to be too blue but sometime ok ...

01. when shd we adj the white balance?
02. how shd we adj the white balance?
03. when adjing the white balance, just anyhow point or must point at particular area?
04. what is the purpose of adj the white balance?
05. anything i need to know abt white balance

sorry for so many question .. but hope the expert here can help ..

by the way, i only hv a P&S camera .. Fujifilm F31fd :sweat::sweat:

Basically, white balance is trying to adjust so that something that is white color would appear white in the picture. If you prefer your pictures where the white appears beige/yellow/blue, it is up to the photographer how he/she wants the picture to look. However, the big issue comes in when you are taking pictures of people. The white balance will affect the skin tones of the people in the picture, and unless you like the people to look orange/bluish, while balance would need to be adjusted.

Each camera have their own functions in adjusting white balance. I cannot advise you on the Fujifilm F31fd as I do not have one to play with, but you can refer to your manual for that. Even camera phones nowadays have a function to adjust white balance.

Normally, cameras are on auto-white balance. however, the auto mode has limitations, and the range in which it can adjust the white balance is also limited. so... when the pictures falls off that zone, manually adjusting the white balance would be needed. Some cameras have preset white balance like tungsten, florescent, cloudy, etc. DSLRs normally have a custom white balance function where a grey card or expodisc can be used to adjust the white balance.

Hope this helps ;)

If you can't adjust or set white balance in ur camera simply go to photoshop. use overlay and pain the whole canvas in the yellow or blue shades... or adjust the levels of the RGB... many ways to do it. just more work only...

With flash its usually best to shoot in auto or in raw.

How bout the use of a white balance cap or filter???
Is it really useful?

For example this one - http://www.bobrigby.com/brp_products/Misc/zerowbf.html

I have an Expodisc, which is something like what you have sited here... and it is really useful.

In most DSLRs, the auto wb has a range in which it detectes, so anything out of that range would either go orange-red, or very blue. Then the Kelvin scale is also limited to 2500-10000. There are presets like tungsten, flourescent, etc, where you need trial and error. however, with something like expodisc, it takes less than 10 sec to set the white balance, and you can fire away in that lighting condition. whenever the lighting changes, you would need to re-calibrate your white balance again.

tks for all the reply .. notice mine hv the manual adj and those pre-set ...

just dont know when to adj or just leave it to the auto ...

tks for all the reply .. notice mine hv the manual adj and those pre-set ...

just dont know when to adj or just leave it to the auto ...

Play with the adjustments and see the results from yoru pictures... and that would be the best learning experience :D There is no cost to taking a few digital pictures to experiment... and this is one of the beauties of the digital age... that I can take all the pictures, see the results instantly, learn from my settings, try and try again...

Status
Not open for further replies.