White Balance


Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2004
1,280
0
0
#1
Hi,

Can anyone teach me how to go about creating a customized white balance which is suitable for most occasions? (I know shooting in RAW can turn WB later on, but i'd like learn how to have the photos WB looking decent before i process it). And is there anything such as a general WB for most type of situations?

Can anyone put in layman terms how does "focusing @ infinity" works? I'm curious how everything can be in focus from near to far.

Hope some kind soul can enlighten me. :sweat:
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#2
You can't, WB differs from location to location, no 1 WB fits all.

I think you're referring to hyperfocusing, internet a lot of articles on it.
 

Zaknafein

New Member
Oct 29, 2005
1,526
0
0
my room
www.flickr.com
#3
yes i agree with espn.
there isnt a WB that suits all/most situations.
for example; cloudy day, sunny day, indoor, outdoor, different type of lightbulbs/tube, all have different white balance

hyper focusing is a technique used in photography. there is some calculations involved to calculate hyper focal distance.

when used:
subjects half this hyper focal distance to infinity will be in focus
 

Nov 12, 2003
350
0
16
Alexandra
Visit site
#4
Zaknafein said:
yes i agree with espn.
there isnt a WB that suits all/most situations.
for example; cloudy day, sunny day, indoor, outdoor, different type of lightbulbs/tube, all have different white balance

hyper focusing is a technique used in photography. there is some calculations involved to calculate hyper focal distance.

when used:
subjects half this hyper focal distance to infinity will be in focus

:bigeyes:
:dunno: :bsmilie:
 

benedium

New Member
Jun 19, 2004
1,204
0
0
www.photo.net
#5
i like shooting with flash setting for white balance. Makes bright daylight look warmer :)
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#6
Who say there is no one kind of white balance fit all?

Don't we know that our camera have a setting call AUTO White Balance??

This is the setting installed by the factory for us to use One Setting to Fit All type of situations.

for Q2
The proper term is call hyper focus, layman call it "long jong sharp"

very hard to explain in layman term, becasue it is too technical, please do a internet search, someone with sq hat will explain it better, also got pictures for you to see.
 

DarkForce

Senior Member
May 1, 2004
1,971
0
0
newbie land
#7
itsybitsyspidy said:
Hi,

Can anyone teach me how to go about creating a customized white balance which is suitable for most occasions? (I know shooting in RAW can turn WB later on, but i'd like learn how to have the photos WB looking decent before i process it). And is there anything such as a general WB for most type of situations?

Can anyone put in layman terms how does "focusing @ infinity" works? I'm curious how everything can be in focus from near to far.

Hope some kind soul can enlighten me. :sweat:
Hope you find this these helpful :)

1) Single white balance setting ?

http://www.planetneil.com/nikon/white-balance.html

2) Getting the correct white balance before each shots

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/dig-exp.shtml

Refer to Step 2 — Set White Balance

3) Hyperfocal distance formula

http://tangentsoft.net/fcalc/help/Hyperfocal.htm
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#8
catchlights said:
Who say there is no one kind of white balance fit all?

Don't we know that our camera have a setting call AUTO White Balance??
I don't know have this AUTO white balance leh... oh please enlighten me great guru...


He did ask for customised white balance...
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#9
espn said:
I don't know have this AUTO white balance leh... oh please enlighten me great guru...


He did ask for customised white balance...
One of my photographer friend telling the client the white balance in the ballroom are very tricky during a shoot, the light keep changing, the client reply him why don't he use AUTO white balance? :bsmilie:

Of couse there is no one white balance setting can fit all lar, just like one exposure setting can fit all kind of brightness.
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#10
catchlights said:
Who say there is no one kind of white balance fit all?

Don't we know that our camera have a setting call AUTO White Balance??

This is the setting installed by the factory for us to use One Setting to Fit All type of situations.

for Q2
The proper term is call hyper focus, layman call it "long jong sharp"

very hard to explain in layman term, becasue it is too technical, please do a internet search, someone with sq hat will explain it better, also got pictures for you to see.
1. AWB does fit all type of situations, but rarely chooses the best setting. Unless you're prepared to do a WB callibration for each circumstance, AWB provides a good starting point to be adjusted in post-processing. If you're worried about WB then shoot raw and correct later.

2. The correct term is 'hyperfocal distance". 'Hyper focus' is a state of mind associated with ADHD.
 

catchlights

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
21,903
46
48
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
#11
cyber_m0nkey said:
1. AWB does fit all type of situations, but rarely chooses the best setting. Unless you're prepared to do a WB callibration for each circumstance, AWB provides a good starting point to be adjusted in post-processing. If you're worried about WB then shoot raw and correct later.

2. The correct term is 'hyperfocal distance". 'Hyper focus' is a state of mind associated with ADHD.
for Q1, is wrote it with a pun. How to have one setting fit all?:bsmilie:

for Q2, sorry, wrote it in 3am, mind not really working.:p
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom