White Balance Settings

weishengtay

Jun 2, 2011
When shooting, do i need to care about the white balance? (other than sunsets and perhaps certain indoor shots) cause i actually can fine tune everything with the adobe lightroom
so do i actually need to care about the colours?

pardon if you find this a lame question. after post processing my photos i started to wonder about this

When shooting, do i need to care about the white balance? (other than sunsets and perhaps certain indoor shots) cause i actually can fine tune everything with the adobe lightroom
so do i actually need to care about the colours?

pardon if you find this a lame question. after post processing my photos i started to wonder about this

If you have the time, probably don't have to care.

If you don't have the time, e.g. you are an event photographer who has to process quite a huge amount of photographs as required by client, then I think you might want to get it right for the huge amount of photographs to avoid having to do even batch adjustments later on.

if you are shooting in RAW and have the resources (time, software, and hardware) you can pretty much don't bother about what WB setting during the images captured.

What do TS think? Instead of asking us this question, ask this question to yourself.

for me, it depends on each situation.

If I have lots of time during the actual shoot, i will definitely adjust the WB first. This will save me lots of time doing post processing, esp when there are hundreds of photos to process.

If during the shoot, when things are happening fast, i wouldn't bother about the WB first coz if i spend too much time meddling with the settings, i might miss certain shots

for me, it depends on each situation.

If I have lots of time during the actual shoot, i will definitely adjust the WB first. This will save me lots of time doing post processing, esp when there are hundreds of photos to process.

If during the shoot, when things are happening fast, i wouldn't bother about the WB first coz if i spend too much time meddling with the settings, i might miss certain shots

I like this reply :)

Yes. For the why, google UniWB. I personally will set the appropriate WB to avoid spending too much time spent correcting afterwards. I do this even for events.

Do you all use the preset White balance or use custom white balance by shooting against a white card?

oh alright! thanks for your replies :D this helped quite abit haha

just started so still learning

this forum really is informative though and the response is real fast! :D

I bought a set of 3 cards (white, black and gray) for $15 from sgcamerastore for custom white balance. :)

Do you all use the preset White balance or use custom white balance by shooting against a white card?
Outdoors and during day time most cameras have a decent Auto WB result. Sunset / sunrise and especially indoors with artificial lights a white card comes handy as reference.

Outdoors and during day time most cameras have a decent Auto WB result. Sunset / sunrise and especially indoors with artificial lights a white card comes handy as reference.

I also use white card when shooting indoor but i find it very troublesome on outdoor as the lighting is dynamic.