KCYong

Jun 18, 2008
Singapore
if shooting outdoor use sunlight
shooting flash use flash
and so on

but the result ~~
I THINK
auto white balance is better than manual white balance!
the color is more correct

why?

if shooting outdoor use sunlight
shooting flash use flash
and so on

but the result ~~
I THINK

why?

Coz each scene can differ. The pre-set manual white balance is only for a certain value. Whereas the auto WB can correct and finetune itself to the scene.

or.. maybe u can use RAW, then do some pp after it...

why?

because auto involves a lot more engineering, etc

preset is stuck, minor adjustments cannot be made accordingly.

btw, if you want "best wb", custom wb is the way to go, if you know how to do it properly.

sometimes i wonder if there is WB for film... =X

In the good old days we use colour correction filters for film.

so do u guy adjust wb when hav shots?
is that a must concerned with u?

because auto involves a lot more engineering, etc

preset is stuck, minor adjustments cannot be made accordingly.

btw, if you want "best wb", custom wb is the way to go, if you know how to do it properly.

Hi, may I know how to so-call, perform custom WB properly? Isn't it just point at a pure white subject in the same area (that you are shooting in) & setting that as the "point of reference"?

Hi, may I know how to so-call, perform custom WB properly? Isn't it just point at a pure white subject in the same area (that you are shooting in) & setting that as the "point of reference"?

Note that each angle can differ the settings minutely. Thus getting a correct pre-set may not be an easy task esp if the light is changing.

Actually that is also what I would do. I use a collapsible grey/white card and a cheap WB lens cap for this purpose. I know of some experienced photographers who are so good already, they look around and simply either set custom white balance K temperature, or use the WB shift on the menu to adjust. I have seen one of two of these old birds doing that and honestly I cannot even begin to fathom how they do that.
I guess it boils down to lao-jiao-ness...

Note that each angle can differ the settings minutely. Thus getting a correct pre-set may not be an easy task esp if the light is changing.

yes.. he got a point
wat if its like those concert or getai
the temperature keeps changing
do experts shoot RAW go home slowly adjust to their liking?
or just AWB and take it as it is?

yes.. he got a point
wat if its like those concert or getai
the temperature keeps changing
do experts shoot RAW go home slowly adjust to their liking?
or just AWB and take it as it is?

RAW would be the easiest as there will be a whole load of different colour shining on the subject. Tune accordingly as you convert the RAW file to jpg.

Actually that is also what I would do. I use a collapsible grey/white card and a cheap WB lens cap for this purpose. I know of some experienced photographers who are so good already, they look around and simply either set custom white balance K temperature, or use the WB shift on the menu to adjust. I have seen one of two of these old birds doing that and honestly I cannot even begin to fathom how they do that.

Since you know how to do it, just keep practicing by shooting more. Everyone start from somewhere, as long as you keep trying with patience, you will be better each day. Cheers!

May I know where to get grey or white card & why some people prefer "grey" cards?

Yah, those lao jios work super fast...due to insane levels of experience I suppose.

May I know where to get grey or white card & why some people prefer "grey" cards?

Yah, those lao jios work super fast...due to insane levels of experience I suppose.

I buy mine from the Mass Sales sections on Club snap. Very reasonable price. $10+ for the lens cap and about $20+ for the collapsible canvas grey/white card (circular one that comes with a cover).
I always use the white part. I am not an expert, and I don't think it would be right for me to talk about the 18% grey card part. Maybe some experienced member would care to share?

Since you know how to do it, just keep practicing by shooting more. Everyone start from somewhere, as long as you keep trying with patience, you will be better each day. Cheers!

Yes, certainly I will. Thanks for the encouragement!

Status
Not open for further replies.