white balance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwchoy

Jul 16, 2003
Tampines, Singapore.
www.hexazona.com
Hi, need some help with white balance setting…

the following pictures are taken with a Canon G5, fully zoomed and with +5 filter at f/3.0. The first one is taken with household florescent light and the shutter speed was 0.5s. The rest taken with flash (550EX off-shoe) at 1/60s. Pic 2 has WB=flash while pic 3 and 4 WB=florescent (just different flash position).

My question is: Why does the pics taken with flash, despite the different WB settings, come out with such strong yellow cast? :dunno: Thanx all for enlightenment :p

Pic 1 - Flash = no / WB = florescent

fa7d183b.jpg

Pic 2 - Flash = ETTL / WB = flash

fa7d15d0.jpg

Pic 3/4 - Flash = ETTL / WB = florescent

fa7d1348.jpg
fa7d10c8.jpg

hwchoy said:
Hi, need some help with white balance setting…

the following pictures are taken with a Canon G5, fully zoomed and with +5 filter at f/3.0. The first one is taken with household florescent light and the shutter speed was 0.5s. The rest taken with flash (550EX off-shoe) at 1/60s. Pic 2 has WB=flash while pic 3 and 4 WB=florescent (just different flash position).

My question is: Why does the pics taken with flash, despite the different WB settings, come out with such strong yellow cast? :dunno: Thanx all for enlightenment :p

Pic 1 - Flash = no / WB = florescent

fa7d183b.jpg

Pic 2 - Flash = ETTL / WB = flash

fa7d15d0.jpg

Pic 3/4 - Flash = ETTL / WB = florescent

fa7d1348.jpg
fa7d10c8.jpg

Not too sure if I am right, but some cameras when you shoot with the flash, it overrides the previous settings and automatically sets the camera to flash WB. That expalins the same orange cast irrespective of the WB that was set.

mmm… if that is the case it should record WB=flash in the EXIF data right?

I thought I experimented previously with the built-in flash that the WB does work correctly, maybe I will try it again.

In any case the WB with flash seem to be giving an incorrect colour balance huh? Is there anyway to fix this (before getting to photoshop), perhaps use the custom WB?

Status
Not open for further replies.