White balance off?

jones24

Jul 7, 2009
Picture was taken using auto function. One member here told me my white balance seems off. I suppose the picture is too yellowish in color as the street lamps are all yellow in color. Any comments?

Is this what sony cameras do?

MJLayTa.jpg

Picture was taken using auto function. One member here told me my white balance seems off. I suppose the picture is too yellowish in color as the street lamps are all yellow in color. Any comments?

MJLayTa.jpg

Too warm or not depend on personal liking, to me it's seem to be too warm and auto wb does not mean the camara will get the correct wb at all times. We need to control the camera to take good photos.

This is not what Sony do, it's what all brands of cameras does.

It's expected because there are no perfect cameras that get it right all the time. It's okay to rely on Auto White Balance (AWB), but the trick is to learn to override it with your own eyes/brain when you want or need to.

There are so many other White Balance options other than Auto provided in the QX100, feel free to use and experiment with them:

White Balance Mode
Auto / Daylight / Shade / Cloudy / Incandescent / Fluor (Warm White) / Fluor (Cool White) / Fluor (Day White) / Fluor (Daylight) / C.Temp.

http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-gb/products/ec8t/#specifications

Hi I think if you look at the lights of the buildings in the back and the lights in the windows on the right you can see it is correct

I think your friend maybe uses a camera that gets it wrong

Hi I think if you look at the lights of the buildings in the back and the lights in the windows on the right you can see it is correct

I think your friend maybe uses a camera that gets it wrong

I don't understand what you mean by my friend uses a camera that gets it wrong.

I was told the bread looks too yellowish so the WB might be off but it really did look yellowish. I cannot recall how yellowish it was though but it wasn't white and we all know majority of bread is white but not all bread looks white some might be in different color so just by looking at this picture here did you feel wb was off all because in your mind bread is supposed to be white or can you tell by actually looking at a picture?

WmCD4zb.jpg

To Get your WB as accurate to the scene is possible, you could use photoshop or similar image editing software to set a reference point that is white.

In this cae, the plate with the butter on it is naturally white(I'm assuming). And yet it looks a shade yellow. You could then use this as the reference point to set your white balance in post processing.

When shooting, it's pretty much the something as well. Look for and object that is white and them adjust the WB such that it appears white when you snap the shot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Actually it is quite simple. For perfect white balance, white things should look white. So looking at the dishes that hold the butter and pate, you white balance is too warm. But practically speaking, WB is about your interpretation. You might want it to be warmer or cooler. Up to you.

in short can you actually tell when a camera has used settings which don't look like what the actual thing looks like or do you make an assumption because you just assume something to be in that color.

Let me give an example. We all know grass is green in color but there might be times grass can be yellowish in color. If you see yellowish looking grass are you able to discern that is the actual color of the grass or it has been manipulated by the camera or software? Is it possible to discern just by looking at it?

To Get your WB as accurate to the scene is possible, you could use photoshop or similar image editing software to set a reference point that is white.

In this cae, the plate with the butter on it is naturally white(I'm assuming). And yet it looks a shade yellow. You could then use this as the reference point to set your white balance in post processing.

When shooting, it's pretty much the something as well. Look for and object that is white and them adjust the WB such that it appears white when you snap the shot.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thanks for the pointer. To me the white thing the butter is on looks white to me. Doesn't look yellowish.

I agreed with ElCarnicero. I think your picture is fine. You use long exposure therefore your camera pickup the lamp lighting. No need to doubt your WB. ☺️. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the pointer. To me the white thing the butter is on looks white to me. Doesn't look yellowish.

And you have to note that we're all using different monitors, thus we're all seeing different colours. My monitor is not calibrated, but the saucer appears yellowish.

No, it's not what Sony cameras do, it's what every camera do. That's why many pros avoid using AWB for many reasons, though it's very easy to correct in PS, in just two steps actually.

Normally will take reference of white object to see if white balance is off. But as had pointed out above, some like it warmer, some like it cooler.
And different look different. If u print out the photos, the colour will look different too.

Had posted a link on Adorama Learning Center in your other thread, there some videos about White Balance.
http://www.adorama.com/alc/searchresults/white%20balance

There also other Free videos in YouTube.

Hi this is the second thread again right I think you should also let us know what the light bulbs there were because if I see the reflections from the outside light it looks correct

Also remember that the human eye does not have whitebalance like a camera sensor has

I don't understand what you mean by my friend uses a camera that gets it wrong.

Because you said your friend said white balance is off but from what i can see it is the correct white balance that a camera would use in that lighting condition

Hi this is the second thread again right I think you should also let us know what the light bulbs there were because if I see the reflections from the outside light it looks correct

Also remember that the human eye does not have whitebalance like a camera sensor has

technically, our human eyes see things exactly at it is, but our brain interpret differently.

in other words, eyes capture all the raw data, brain only process whatever it think is useful to us.

MJLayTa.jpg

I was told the bread looks too yellowish so the WB might be off but it really did look yellowish. I cannot recall how yellowish it was though but it wasn't white and we all know majority of bread is white but not all bread looks white some might be in different color so just by looking at this picture here did you feel wb was off all because in your mind bread is supposed to be white or can you tell by actually looking at a picture?

WmCD4zb.jpg

White balance is a very basic, and also a very big topic by itself, it will be more productive if you can read some basic photography books and understand all you need to know systematically.

threads merged.

and please, downside your images before post it into forum.

Note to all those who post pics here, please try to resize/crop your pic to the following
recommended dimensions (recommended cos we can't force you, but just hope that you will be kind enough to do so)

The dimensions has been reached after weeks of painstaking research and polling among the users to determine the most common and average screen size which turns out to be 1024x768 pixels. Therefore, the recommended image size will allow your picture to be displayed in its entire glory, without having to scroll sideways or up/down. If you have a larger screen size, grin to yourself and say "I am a lucky devil". If you have a smaller screen size, well, isn't time to upgrade??

Also, try to save your JPEG images at medium to high compression factors (experiment to see what level will produce the smallest size without too many artifacts) and keep the size to between 50-80KB.

Without further ado - the recommended image size is NO LARGER THAN 1000 pixels wide/tall. Any image larger than 1000 pixels on its largest side will be resized automatically for display.

As a guideline only - you can make your pics smaller or slightly bigger (max width is about 1000 pixels to fit comfortably without having to scroll sideways).

and please, downside your images before post it into forum.

ok using gimp and my images are already downsized at 1563 x 864 which is a 16:9 res will downsize further in future