White balance lens cap

e69087

Aug 17, 2005
Northern Singapore
Hello, i would like to know anyone use this device to set their DSLR camera custom white balance before going on to shoot pic?
There are quite a few types and brands in the market, which one is value for money?

To set custom white balance I don't have an expo disk or something similar. Instead I use a styrofoam cup (when available). There are a lot of websites that tells gives you the 'how-to' although it is dead simple. Just try it out - if only just to learn /practice setting custom WB.
I used to do white balance when shooting jpgs but since moving to raw, I do it less now and will use a white balance card for post processing if I really need to nail the WB correctly.

Thanks for the reply. I saw some demo in youtube. Some showed they aim their camera at the subject with the WB lens cap mounted on the lens n take the custom WB reading.
But i think the correct way is to turn around n aim at the light source falling onto the subject.
So if i take a landscape infront of me, i should turn around n take the sunlight falling on me.
Just my thought.

Not really useful gear. If you buy please buy the cheap China clone to avoid wasting money.

Thanks for the advice. Perhaps i will not buy it at all.

It is useful when you want to minimum processing at post.
And also useful if you shoot video too.

Remember there is no one tool fix all situations, some time you can ask your subject to hold the wb card for you, some time you can place the card next to an object. But you can't always fill the frame with wb card unless you have a big card.

Pop Photo mag tested several different types few years back. ( http://www.ppmag.com/web-exclusives/2008/11/product-comparison-white-balan-1.html ) Most accurate was the Lally Cap. I bought one, used it till it was nearly worn out, and then lost it. Yes it works awesome. (Lally Cap) Here is the catch for me personally however...some cameras have a much easier (for me at least) way to get a reading for custom WB. My D5000 is a gem in this regard...go to custom white balance, fire the shutter, you have a reading. My D7K...I do not like the method employed with that unit. Still confuses me to this day... Note Lally cap fits 52mm lens well anything bigger is really tight.

All that being said Lally Caps are about 20 bucks...I am a tight wad...I think material used for Lally Cap is this stuff -

https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/g...m_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

I'll buy some right now and let you all know as soon as I get it...ain't no way I will ever pay 20 bucks for that stuff again...lol If this is indeed the stuff I'll have about three 'handkerchiefs' of it in my bag from now on...

edit...now 30 bucks...oh hell no!!! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

Last edited:
It is not effective because WB change from corner of the room to corner of the room, seconds to seconds, milliseconds too, depending on mixture of lights, nearer window you have daylight, some room mix fluorescent that changes every milliseconds, some mix in different bulbs of tungsten, or different age, many places are have started using LEDs, which makes things even more interesting. Some events have rotating lights of color. And when you add in your own flash and your varying shutter speed will influence colors again.

There is no magic lenscap that set best white balance. In fact it only mess it up for you. If you are shooting fast changing scenes like an event, modern day camera gets WB way better than that lenscap, immediate on the go, adjusting to every different scene. If you are shooting a controlled scene, better to set in post production as you will be changing anyway. If you are shooting forensic and needs get true colors, a color checkerboard is better.

Dont waste money.

Thanks for the feedback. I saw this review, seems like the expodisc yield consistent results.
http://www.howtogeek.com/166532/how-to-achieve-perfect-photo-color-with-a-white-balance-cap/
I also watch the 5 video hosted by Zach n Jody Gray on the expodisc. Seems like the disc can also help to get the correct 18% grey exposure.
But i do find setting the WB n the right exposure rather inconvenient whereby i need to stand at the subject location n aim at the light falling on me. Perhaps doing a outdoor model shoot is alright.

I have a couple of them. Got them in China, forgot the brand. cost around 8 bucks each.

But i do find setting the WB n the right exposure rather inconvenient whereby i need to stand at the subject location n aim at the light falling on me. Perhaps doing a outdoor model shoot is alright.

Yes what I discovered with Lally Cap is if light is not powerful enough I cannot get a reading. So yes good for a lot of situations but nil with other situations. Indoor lighting I have found doesn't always work. If such a tool can be had for cheap it is a great addition to the kit. Ben Loo is right in that it nails the colors pretty close, even better than camera WB my opinion, so it can save some post time.

DD123 once mentioned some sort of color fidelity charts or something of that nature which would be the most precise tool to use I am sure.

Last edited:
Yes what I discovered with Lally Cap is if light is not powerful enough I cannot get a reading. So yes good for a lot of situations but nil with other situations. Indoor lighting I have found doesn't always work. If such a tool can be had for cheap it is a great addition to the kit. Ben Loo is right in that it nails the colors pretty close, even better than camera WB my opinion, so it can save some post time.

DD123 once mentioned some sort of color fidelity charts or something of that nature which would be the most precise tool to use I am sure.

That is for color calibration... quiet expensive if one is only going to use it for WB.

WB cap and grey cards help you to get the technically correct white balance, that's all. What they can't do is to judge whether this result suits your scene / subjects and matches your intention.