White Balance in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanMan

Mar 27, 2003
Singapore, Farrer Rd
I can't seem to figure where to disable Lightroom from automatically changing the WB of a photo after it previews it? Does any one know?

I'd guess you're shooting RAW.

LR will generate it's own interpretation of the RAW data using adobe camera raw (ACR). The "preview" you see before LR generates it's own preview is actually a low resolution JPEG photo from the camera, hence colors and wb will change once LR generates it's own preview.

If you're shooting JPEG, then I think you've got some presets misset. Go clear them to leave WB as "as shot".

I'd guess you're shooting RAW.

LR will generate it's own interpretation of the RAW data using adobe camera raw (ACR). The "preview" you see before LR generates it's own preview is actually a low resolution JPEG photo from the camera, hence colors and wb will change once LR generates it's own preview.

If you're shooting JPEG, then I think you've got some presets misset. Go clear them to leave WB as "as shot".

Yes, I'm shooting RAW. The funny thing is that the once the preview is "over", the image's WB gets changed. The preview's WB is what I get on the camera LCD as well as DPP. The final image on LP's WB is changed. How can I prevent this from happening?

Yes, I'm shooting RAW. The funny thing is that the once the preview is "over", the image's WB gets changed. The preview's WB is what I get on the camera LCD as well as DPP. The final image on LP's WB is changed. How can I prevent this from happening?
it is not the WB that is getting changed but the general colour interpretation... and you cannot stop it from happening.
Canon is not providing Adobe with the their colour coding so Adobe makes their own interpretation.
Create a preset to correct it or create your own camera profile.

In mac there are camera for the respective canon/nikon think one can use the edtior to modify it.
I am not very sure how it works... :(

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles_FAQ#WhatIsNewAS

Where are the new profiles installed on my computer?

On Mac OS X:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

On Windows 2000 / XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

On Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

How can I set a given profile to be my default camera profile in Camera Raw?

First, open an image in CR and select your desired profile from the Camera Profile popup menu in the Camera Calibration tab. Then click on the flyout popup menu (to the right of the words "Camera Calibration") and choose Save New Camera Raw Defaults.

In mac there are camera for the respective canon/nikon think one can use the edtior to modify it.
I am not very sure how it works... :(

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles_FAQ#WhatIsNewAS

Where are the new profiles installed on my computer?

On Mac OS X:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

On Windows 2000 / XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

On Windows Vista:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

How can I set a given profile to be my default camera profile in Camera Raw?

First, open an image in CR and select your desired profile from the Camera Profile popup menu in the Camera Calibration tab. Then click on the flyout popup menu (to the right of the words "Camera Calibration") and choose Save New Camera Raw Defaults.

Thanks! The new 'adobe standard' profile works great. Albeit not perfect, but definitely a marked improvement over ACR 4.4. Note: My opinion is purely based on as a Canon user.

Last edited:
I think a more appropriate fashion to do this would be to use the ACR profiles in LR 2.0.

Although I'm still figuring out on how this works - you would need the profile editor to do so.

I think a more appropriate fashion to do this would be to use the ACR profiles in LR 2.0.

Although I'm still figuring out on how this works - you would need the profile editor to do so.
you need one of those colour charts, then you need to download the editor (free), take a RAW shot of the colour chart and correct the colour to match the colour chart, which of course means that your monitor should also be calibrated. and you should do it under controlled light conditions so you should take a white balance shot as well

Status
Not open for further replies.