White balance help

Status
Not open for further replies.
set camera at custom WB taking reading, aim at the main light, fire, than camera records.

you aim camera with expodisc at the main light, is the same like aiming the camera without expodisc at a graycard lighted by the main light.

at outdoor with flash, you still need to aim the expodisc to the flash, or aim at a flash bounce-able area.

the WB will be neutral, but doesn't mean all skintone will be nice.

set camera at custom WB taking reading, aim at the main light, fire, than camera records.

you aim camera with expodisc at the main light, is the same like aiming the camera without expodisc at a graycard lighted by the main light.

at outdoor with flash, you still need to aim the expodisc to the flash, or aim at a flash bounce-able area.

the WB will be neutral, but doesn't mean all skintone will be nice.

so that means expodisc only measures the WB from the light source.it doesnt take into account of the ambient colors, i.e backdrop.:dunno:

cos i remember someone told me backdrop change, WB change already.
does that mean the expodisc will NOT give me a correct facial color even though it's neutral?

so that means expodisc only measures the WB from the light source.it doesnt take into account of the ambient colors, i.e backdrop.:dunno:

cos i remember someone told me backdrop change, WB change already.
does that mean the expodisc will NOT give me a correct facial color even though it's neutral?
you stand at model position to take the reading,
if your other lights are colored, you wouldn't want to take WB from it also.

the Auto WB will be affected if the the color of backdrop, wardrobe, lights are too dominating.
Auto White Balance works well in the D200. As the camera’s RGB meter senses colors, it does its best to balance to any white or mid-range grays it can find in the image. However, the color will vary a little on each shot. If you shoot only in Auto WB mode, your camera considers each image a new white balance problem, and solves it without reference to the last image taken. Therefore, there may be variance in the color balance of each image with Auto WB.
taken from here

thanks for the link.
i tot that website need to subscribe one.:rolleyes:

and the skin tone is using what as reference?

are the model using the some light source to do the make up?

in real life a person may look more yellow, or more tan, so does it look nice if you show the skin tone at it is?

What I do is I shoot in RAW+Basic jpeg... That makes viewing of the pictures easier...

1600++ shots... I doubt you are really going to use all of them... Select the best few and PP them lah...

I use AUTO WB for studio shots...

and the skin tone is using what as reference?

are the model using the some light source to do the make up?

in real life a person may look more yellow, or more tan, so does it look nice if you show the skin tone at it is?

dun understand your ques/implications wor....

u mean u are asking me if i should correct my pics to actual/real human skin tone?

What I do is I shoot in RAW+Basic jpeg... That makes viewing of the pictures easier...

1600++ shots... I doubt you are really going to use all of them... Select the best few and PP them lah...

I use AUTO WB for studio shots...

how does shooting in RAW VS JPEG makes viewing of pics 'easier'?:dunno: you open one in LR, the other in bridge.both as easy what...:dunno:

of course, not all 1.6k shots are usable but i already saw some i love.:lovegrin:

auto WB for studio?read catchlight's quote just now from that link.
your camera considers each image a new white balance problem, and solves it without reference to the last image taken. Therefore, there may be variance in the color balance of each image with Auto WB.
this is something which i definitely do not want.

how does shooting in RAW VS JPEG makes viewing of pics 'easier'?:dunno: you open one in LR, the other in bridge.both as easy what...:dunno:

of course, not all 1.6k shots are usable but i already saw some i love.:lovegrin:

auto WB for studio?read catchlight's quote just now from that link.
your camera considers each image a new white balance problem, and solves it without reference to the last image taken. Therefore, there may be variance in the color balance of each image with Auto WB.
this is something which i definitely do not want.
Jpeg is smaller and thus reading it is faster than RAW

I don't know why, even with an Expodisc (borrow one lah), the WB still screws up with RED background (famous colour for getting ur WB out)... Well, maybe is just my D70s... Hence, I don't even bothered about custom my WB already, just shoot and adjust the RAW (view in jpeg) Then if model wants the pic, I give the jpeg and keep the RAW... It is also a good way to protect your copyrights...

I am wondering... we do not really go into all this hassle on WB when we shoot film. The most we apply colour correction filters. Does it matter that we get the WB 99.8% spot on?

BC

ps: this is meant for discussion, not targeting anyone... ;)

yes, shouldn't use auto wb in studio, even using a preset WB still better than auto, at least you can correct set by set, not one by one.

I am wondering... we do not really go into all this hassle on WB when we shoot film. The most we apply colour correction filters. Does it matter that we get the WB 99.8% spot on?

BC

ps: this is meant for discussion, not targeting anyone... ;)
when we shoot film, especially on trans, we will try to get as close as possible, the rest is art director's problem liao.

when shooting on neg, we are at the mercy of lab tech.

Jpeg is smaller and thus reading it is faster than RAW

I don't know why, even with an Expodisc (borrow one lah), the WB still screws up with RED background (famous colour for getting ur WB out)... Well, maybe is just my D70s... Hence, I don't even bothered about custom my WB already, just shoot and adjust the RAW (view in jpeg) Then if model wants the pic, I give the jpeg and keep the RAW... It is also a good way to protect your copyrights...

not sure what set up are you referring. but you should know what is color cast, if you place your subject in color background, the shadow areas, and some reflective areas will pick up the color of the background, there are no way to eliminate it, no matter how many lights you add, throw, roast in will not help.

when we shoot film, especially on trans, we will try to get as close as possible, the rest is art director's problem liao.

when shooting on neg, we are at the mercy of lab tech.

For film, other than using filters coupled with the right film, is there any other ways for colour correction?

BC

CC filters, are you referring these?

Yes... colour correction filters.

It seems more straight forward with film. Know the film colour temperature and use the CC filters for the corresponding light colour.

I would think that that is less accurate than what we are doing for WB on digital cameras.

I don't have much experience with film... hoping to know how colour correction is done with films.

BC

1 pic from my shoot.WB untouch.exported from LR to cs2.resize done.

i do see a subtle green cast.but because this is meant to be a flare pic, i think the green cast from the flare?:dunno:

S18.jpg

WB is off. just adjust the green/magenta slider (not familiar with Lightroom but I assume there is one...I'm a Photoshop/Capture One guy) abit to the magenta side... also, I'ld reduce the exposure some...maybe like 1 to 1 1/2 stops... I think it would work well as a silhouette shot, with colour and detail on only some small parts of the model at the edge of her body... :)

1 pic from my shoot.WB untouch.exported from LR to cs2.resize done.

i do see a subtle green cast.but because this is meant to be a flare pic, i think the green cast from the flare?:dunno:

S18.jpg

I think the colour cast is due to the flare not because of WB. You can't help it by WB.

BC

Status
Not open for further replies.